News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington, D.C. August 25th, 2010

Started by Ian, September 30, 2010, 07:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Hey all,

Today I finally got around to uploading my photos from my Washington, D.C. trip I took on August 25th, 2010. Here is the link (hopefully I got my facts right, however if I made a mistake, LMK):
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/DistrictOfColumbiaTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#

And a short sneak peak:

More old signs in the link  :-P. Hope you all enjoy!
Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

too bad the US-50 shield is gone from that 66 gantry. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Some notes/corrections:

- DC 295 is actually known more as Kenilworth Ave than it is as the "Anacostia Freeway".  DDOT officially names it Kenilworth Ave north of East Capitol.

- DDOT recently got approval from both AASHTO and FHWA to change the I-295 and I-695 endpoints as part of the 11th St Bridge project.  I'm not sure if it's effective immediately or once the 11th St Bridge project is completed, but I-295 will begin at DC 295 and not at the Southeast Freeway.  The 11th St Bridge proper becomes part of I-695, and the SE Freway stub to Pennsylvania Ave is de-designated.

- You're officially going northbound on South Capitol St, not "westbound".  Your actual cardinal direction on the Douglass Bridge is northwest, then right after Potomac Ave, you're bona-fide going northbound.  Also no quadrant (i.e. "SE") in South Capitol St.

- The I-395 exit numbers were added in 2008.

- The I-395 HOV lanes across the Potomac are actually a separate bridge...the Rochambeau Bridge.  But you'll never hear that name (or George Mason Bridge, or Arland D Williams Memorial Bridge either)...the entire complex is called the 14th Street Bridge.

- I-395 is never on the Southeast Freeway.  The portion I-395 follows is fully the Southwest Freeway.

- IMO, the comments about "wandering sign thieves" really go overboard with the paranoia.

- The USDOT building is actually over by the Navy Yard.  IIRC, it's the FAA that's at 7th and Independence SW.

- I-66 opened within the District and across the Roosevelt Bridge in 1964.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on October 01, 2010, 01:13:10 PM
- IMO, the comments about "wandering sign thieves" really go overboard with the paranoia.

really, it's the highway department that is the main threat.  Those who steal old signs will, at least, preserve them for posterity.  The highway department will just melt them down and make guardrails.  What a waste!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Some notes/corrections:

- DC 295 is actually known more as Kenilworth Ave than it is as the "Anacostia Freeway".  DDOT officially names it Kenilworth Ave north of East Capitol.

- DDOT recently got approval from both AASHTO and FHWA to change the I-295 and I-695 endpoints as part of the 11th St Bridge project.  I'm not sure if it's effective immediately or once the 11th St Bridge project is completed, but I-295 will begin at DC 295 and not at the Southeast Freeway.  The 11th St Bridge proper becomes part of I-695, and the SE Freway stub to Pennsylvania Ave is de-designated.

- You're officially going northbound on South Capitol St, not "westbound".  Your actual cardinal direction on the Douglass Bridge is northwest, then right after Potomac Ave, you're bona-fide going northbound.  Also no quadrant (i.e. "SE") in South Capitol St.

- The I-395 exit numbers were added in 2008.

- The I-395 HOV lanes across the Potomac are actually a separate bridge...the Rochambeau Bridge.  But you'll never hear that name (or George Mason Bridge, or Arland D Williams Memorial Bridge either)...the entire complex is called the 14th Street Bridge.

- I-395 is never on the Southeast Freeway.  The portion I-395 follows is fully the Southwest Freeway.

- The USDOT building is actually over by the Navy Yard.  IIRC, it's the FAA that's at 7th and Independence SW.

- I-66 opened within the District and across the Roosevelt Bridge in 1964.

Thanks, I'll correct them when I get the time...

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 01, 2010, 01:33:50 PM

really, it's the highway department that is the main threat.  Those who steal old signs will, at least, preserve them for posterity.  The highway department will just melt them down and make guardrails.  What a waste!

To be honest, I really don't know if I should correct it or not. I just don't want anyone freaking out on me...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

In picture 120 you can spot a speed camera on the right past the black vehicle in the right thru lane.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 02, 2011, 04:09:14 PM
In picture 120 you can spot a speed camera revenue creation machine on the right past the black vehicle in the right thru lane.

Fixed it for you.  ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.