News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 31 Hamilton County, Indiana

Started by mukade, December 19, 2010, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

For those that may not have seen the US 31 Hamilton County web site, this is the URL: http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/interchanges.html.

The site shows the preliminary interchange designs of which many are pretty interesting. The best ones are at the 146th St area, 136th Street, and at I-465, IMO. The first interchange work begins in 2011 at SR 38 so ironically, Hamilton County will have the first section of upgraded US 31 open over Kokomo and South Bend despite starting three years later. Also bridge widening at 146th Street begins next year. 2012 should bring the added travel lanes from 96th Street to 216th Street as well according to the most recent INDOT contract letting page. How that will be handled where the road is being rerouted (for example, at SR 32) will be interesting.

Revive 755

My comments:

* Meridian Street (shown as US 31 on the map) at 96th Street:  9 lanes for one side of Meridan (if I'm reading the map right; could use a better zoom)?  I think that intersection is reaching the point where it would be better to go ahead and try and shift 96th north slightly and grade separate it.  The FEIS mentions a Michigan left for SB to EB at this intersection (Chapter 2, page 22.36), but I don't see it on the maps

* Given the high number of triple lane turns required along I-465 in that area (two at US 31, one at US 421, can't tell right now from the aerial if there are any at Keystone) INDOT really should be looking at another interchange on I-465 somewhere (Ditch Road perhaps?)

* Probably should be a grade separation for 103rd Street instead of trying to cram everyone through on 106th Street.  Yeah, I known, cost issues, but Chapter 2 of the FEIS seems to indicate capacity concerns for 106th Street on Page 30/36.

* 106th Street looks like a good candidate for a double crossover diamond, but I would like to at least see a SPUI evaluated.

* At least from just looking through the interchange maps, doesn't look like INDOT really evaluated too many alternative designs. 

* Given the length of the project, IMHO the road should be designed for a 65 mph speed limit, or at least for 65 mph north of 146th Street, not 55 all the way as stated in the FAQ.  Sure given Indiana's poor speed limit legislation it probably couldn't be posted that high to start with, but I though US 31 was eventually planned as an interstate route up to South Bend?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 20, 2010, 12:27:46 AM
My comments:* Given the high number of triple lane turns required along I-465 in that area (two at US 31, one at US 421, can't tell right now from the aerial if there are any at Keystone) INDOT really should be looking at another interchange on I-465 somewhere (Ditch Road perhaps?)

* Given the length of the project, IMHO the road should be designed for a 65 mph speed limit, or at least for 65 mph north of 146th Street, not 55 all the way as stated in the FAQ.  Sure given Indiana's poor speed limit legislation it probably couldn't be posted that high to start with, but I though US 31 was eventually planned as an interstate route up to South Bend?

My guess is that converting 31 to limited access and eliminating the stoplights at the 31/465 interchange would reduce the amount of traffic using Michigan, Keystone, or Allisonville as alternatives.  I pass through this area several times per year.  Right now, I'm taking 465 to Keystone to 31, but once this project is completed, I'll take 465 to 31.  I would think a lot of others will do the same.

As for the speed limit, I think the density of southern Hamilton County will keep the speed limit at 55 even after becoming limited-access. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wh15395

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 20, 2010, 08:45:20 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 20, 2010, 12:27:46 AM
My comments:* Given the high number of triple lane turns required along I-465 in that area (two at US 31, one at US 421, can't tell right now from the aerial if there are any at Keystone) INDOT really should be looking at another interchange on I-465 somewhere (Ditch Road perhaps?)

My guess is that converting 31 to limited access and eliminating the stoplights at the 31/465 interchange would reduce the amount of traffic using Michigan, Keystone, or Allisonville as alternatives.  I pass through this area several times per year.  Right now, I'm taking 465 to Keystone to 31, but once this project is completed, I'll take 465 to 31.  I would think a lot of others will do the same.

As for the speed limit, I think the density of southern Hamilton County will keep the speed limit at 55 even after becoming limited-access. 
I don't understand why the density in Carmel would keep it limited to 55 while I-69 in Fishers is 65 heading North.

NWI_Irish96

The cities of Carmel and Fishers may be equally dense, but the density of interchanges on the roads will be very different:

31 will have its seventh interchange less than six miles from 465.  69 gets to mile marker 14 before seeing its seventh interchange, so I think different speed limits are justified.

However, on my limited experience with 69, I'd argue that the last 4-5 miles of it should have a lower speed limit before arguing that the limit on 31 should be higher.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 20, 2010, 01:05:24 PM
The cities of Carmel and Fishers may be equally dense, but the density of interchanges on the roads will be very different:

31 will have its seventh interchange less than six miles from 465.  69 gets to mile marker 14 before seeing its seventh interchange, so I think different speed limits are justified.

However, on my limited experience with 69, I'd argue that the last 4-5 miles of it should have a lower speed limit before arguing that the limit on 31 should be higher.

I think you are right on. Keystone Parkway has a speed limit of 50 MPH, and as you said, that is a decent alternative even with the two remaining traffic lights. A 55 mile an hour US 31 freeway would be fine with the large number of interchanges planned. After all, I-465 officially carries a 55 MPH limit, and it should not be higher than that. 55 usually means 65 and a posted 65 MPH limit would mean something over 70 which would be too fast IMO.

agentsteel53

I-405 in Los Angeles has a lot of closely spaced interchanges, and a speed limit of 65.  Same with US-101 in the Bay Area, and countless others.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mukade

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2010, 03:52:03 PM
I-405 in Los Angeles has a lot of closely spaced interchanges, and a speed limit of 65.  Same with US-101 in the Bay Area, and countless others.

I think I-8 west in San Diego has a 65 MPH limit as well, but I don't think it is necessarily correct with the myriad of exits and entrances. One exit I remember (Moreno St.?) had a ton of accidents from my personal experience of being stuck in traffic. Michigan has 70 MPH speed limits through cities. On some roads like M-6, it is fine, but other freeways in the Detroit area are pretty scary. It is a mix of opinion, design of the highway, and prevailing driving habits as to what speed limit makes sense. In defense of San Diegans, at least, they are more courteous than Chicago or Boston drivers for example so slightly higher speed limits work.

mukade

Quote from: mukade on December 19, 2010, 08:20:20 PM
For those that may not have seen the US 31 Hamilton County web site, this is the URL: http://us31hamiltoncounty.in.gov/interchanges.html.

The site shows the preliminary interchange designs of which many are pretty interesting. The best ones are at the 146th St area, 136th Street, and at I-465, IMO. The first interchange work begins in 2011 at SR 38 so ironically, Hamilton County will have the first section of upgraded US 31 open over Kokomo and South Bend despite starting three years later. Also bridge widening at 146th Street begins next year. 2012 should bring the added travel lanes from 96th Street to 216th Street as well according to the most recent INDOT contract letting page. How that will be handled where the road is being rerouted (for example, at SR 32) will be interesting.

First U.S. 31 Hamilton County Contract Awarded: http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/67108.htm

mukade

U.S. 31 due for two new interchanges next year (Indy Star)

This will make travel interesting for a while in that congested area in Carmel and Westfield.

mobilene

I'd better get out there and extensively photograph the Keystone Parkway intersection before construction begins.  I've been meaning to do it for a couple years now -- document US 31's original Rangeline Road/Westfield Blvd. route into Indianapolis.  Today, SB on 31 at that light, you can see how Rangeline is on the same line as 31 at that point, before modern 31 veers right and Keystone veers left.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

mukade

Quote from: mobilene on November 04, 2011, 07:44:03 PM
I'd better get out there and extensively photograph the Keystone Parkway intersection before construction begins.  I've been meaning to do it for a couple years now -- document US 31's original Rangeline Road/Westfield Blvd. route into Indianapolis.  Today, SB on 31 at that light, you can see how Rangeline is on the same line as 31 at that point, before modern 31 veers right and Keystone veers left.
Good idea. The new interchange configuration looks pretty radical compared to what is there now. It seems difficult to believe it will all fit in the limited land available, but I guess it will.
146th St./Clay Terrace
151st St. and north

ftballfan

Quote from: mukade on December 20, 2010, 04:55:13 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2010, 03:52:03 PM

I think I-8 west in San Diego has a 65 MPH limit as well, but I don't think it is necessarily correct with the myriad of exits and entrances. One exit I remember (Moreno St.?) had a ton of accidents from my personal experience of being stuck in traffic. Michigan has 70 MPH speed limits through cities. On some roads like M-6, it is fine, but other freeways in the Detroit area are pretty scary. It is a mix of opinion, design of the highway, and prevailing driving habits as to what speed limit makes sense. In defense of San Diegans, at least, they are more courteous than Chicago or Boston drivers for example so slightly higher speed limits work.
I-196 through Grand Rapids is 65 (even the just-redone part east of 131) while US-31 through Muskegon is 70. And I would consider M-6 to be more rural than urban.

tdindy88

As work begins in the 146th/151st St area along US 31, the governor wants to speed up the construction, according to this very recent article.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120307/NEWS05/120307041/Daniels-wants-close-U-S-31-upgrade-north-Indy?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

ShawnP

mukade

mobilene

Man, do I need to get out there and document the way it is now.  As it all stands, you can still sort of tell that US 31 SB at the Keystone split used to follow what is now Rangeline Road.  The drawings I've seen will make that historic link harder to discern when the project is over.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

tdindy88

I placed an article about this project on the I-465/I-69 northeast thread, but I think it is more apporpriate here, about the proposed roundabout interchange at Keystone and 96th just north of Interstate 465. Basically, this project is being put on hold for the time being, which means it likely won't be finished for it be be viable for the proposed "hyperfix" construction on US 31 in a few years (which will make Keystone Parkway) the official detour while 31 is under construction. The MPO has their own reasons for shelving this for now, although I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that there are numerous construction projects going on the North side this summer (thank God I don't live up north right now) and that US 31 will be a mess for several years, that and to "think" about it some more for those businesses that that might get axed with the project.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120601/LOCAL0101/120601023/A-roundabout-style-96th-Keystone-Not-quick?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com

mukade

That is good it is being shelved. As a non-Hamilton County resident, I would not be be happy to see a brand new (less than one year old), very expensive Keystone upgrade torn up for an interchange period. To me, that would be pure waste. I wonder why this wasn't suggested before the I-465/Keystone interchange upgrade.

Other parts of the state have needs as well. This would be the sort of thing  that would drive accusations of favoritism (justafiably).

wh15395

I have to agree with the mayor of Carmel on this one; it would be a perfect detour for US 31 traffic. Too bad the rest of the state can't keep of up with Carmel. One question, what about the light at 98th street?

mukade

Well, the only problem with that statement is that the state paid for most of it, not Carmel. INDOT gave $90M to the city for the Keystone Pkwy. Any city or county which would get that amount of money could do good things, but I don't think that type of money is available any longer.

Unless they allowed trucks on it, it would not be a perfect detour, and it was not built for heavy truck traffic. It would sure help for cars, though.

From what I read before, the 98th Street light would also go.

tdindy88

I thought I heard that trucks would have been allowed on Keystone while US 31 was closed, temporarily of course. And going a few posts up, as a Southsider of Indy, I have had those thoughts of favoritism that INDOT and the city have favored the North side over the South side for years, justifiable perhaps though. At least we will finally get I-465 and I-65 down south fixed in a year or so, after Exit 5 on I-69 is rebuilt of course.

mukade

The new flyover ramp from US 31 southbound to Keystone Parkway is now open

INDOT opens new US 31 ramp to Keystone Parkway

mukade

I went down US 31 in Hamilton County for the first time in a while. The amount of work done at Keystone Pkwy and Clay Terrace/Range Line Rd. is pretty impressive with the new ramp open. What surprised me is the amount of demolition going on. It seems that every building on the west side of US 31 except Target is in the process of being knocked down from Greyhound Pass to 161st St. Additionally, the fairly new Comfort Inn at SR 32 is now closed and stores around SR 32 are going out of business.

US 31 southbound over SR 38 now has bridge beams in place, but it looks like that interchange has a ways to go.

If you look at the current INDOT letting list (http://www.in.gov/indot/div/lettings/18MonthsConstLettingDetails_Ext.pdf, is contract IR-34750 which is scheduled to be let on 10/31/12, the entire remaining part of the Hamilton County upgrade of US 31? Has it been announced whether or not they plan to close US 31 during construction?

tdindy88

The only part of the highway that will be closed completely during the construction is the part from Old Meridian Street north to 136th Street, and that's not for another three years I think. The rest of the highway should be opened during the construction, but it will likely be a similar deal as with the SR 38 interchange where it's only one-way in each direction. I am curious about the businesses to the west of US 31 there in the Greyhound Pass area, I think most of them were resturants, are they relocating elsewhere in Carmel/Westfield?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.