News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Adventures in Utah signage

Started by CL, January 22, 2011, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: CL on May 08, 2012, 11:17:57 PM
More non-neutered shields have been posted, folks! I-215, around the Union Park Ave and Highland Dr exits. They're just signs posted on temporary posts, however (directing motorists through a detour), so I don't know if they'll stick around. They have basically the same specs as the I-80 shield posted above (huge numerals, etc), except on a three-digit shield. I hope to get some photos tomorrow.

I would like some detail photos, as I've never seen a state-named 215 in the flesh.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Well, I don't think this is what you had in mind in regards to "detail photos..."

...but I suppose it's better than nothing. Reminds me of this. Perhaps these shields will one day be posted on permanent posts, but who knows.

So, here are those state-named BGSs on eastbound I-80 between Redwood Road and 6th South:

Who can spot the two discrepancies in the newer photo? These signs replaced 1999-era signs just this year. Notice the state-name shields on the left and right signs! This stretch of road (I-80 between I-15 and Redwood Road) is the only one in the state that has BGSs with state-name shields on them. Pretty nifty, considering Utah's been devoid of such things forever.

Same photo that I posted a few posts back, but with better lighting.

There's something that I like more about the older signs, truth be told. Note that although the newer signs were posted in 2012, they are using 2005-spec exit tabs, not 2011-spec.

First time I've ever seen Evanston as a control city from a BGS in Salt Lake. Cheyenne is usually used in this instance.

New (late '80s/early '90s signage) and old (1967).

I'm not much of a signal guy, but these are some of the last eight-inch signals in the metropolitan area. They're LED signals.
Infrastructure. The city.

national highway 1

Quote from: CL on May 10, 2012, 01:59:18 AM

Love the I-415 sign! Interesting how 'Denver' is signed via I-80 east -probably alluding to the old US 40 route.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

elsmere241

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 10, 2012, 04:46:31 AM

Love the I-415 sign! Interesting how 'Denver' is signed via I-80 east -probably alluding to the old US 40 route.

As late as 1982 (maybe much later) I-80 was signed from I-15 as "Denver / Cheyenne"

CL

Not signage, but that's okay. Here are shots of my favorite stretch of freeway in the city: I-215 north of Knudsen's Corner.

Ian

The state named Utah interstate shields are definitely a trend I don't mind them sticking to!

Quote from: CL on May 10, 2012, 01:59:18 AM
I'm not much of a signal guy, but these are some of the last eight-inch signals in the metropolitan area. They're LED signals.

Awesome find! 8" LED arrows are about as rare as finding a state named interstate shield in Massachusetts.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Spotted a few more state-named shields (!) at the University Parkway exit of I-15 in Orem (a CFI just opened at an intersection adjacent to the freeway interchange). Pictures as soon as I venture down to Utah County again.

Installation of these state-named shields is rather sporadic–and to be honest, I think I'd rather have consistency rather than a mix of state-named and neutered. Not to say that these state-named shields aren't great. Because they are.

Rover_0

Quote from: CL on May 27, 2012, 06:13:06 PM
Spotted a few more state-named shields (!) at the University Parkway exit of I-15 in Orem (a CFI just opened at an intersection adjacent to the freeway interchange). Pictures as soon as I venture down to Utah County again.

Installation of these state-named shields is rather sporadic–and to be honest, I think I'd rather have consistency rather than a mix of state-named and neutered. Not to say that these state-named shields aren't great. Because they are.

I wonder if this might be a gradual change--I can't seem to recall any specific email conversations with them, but I may have mentioned something to UDOT a while back. Something like "older signs can be replaced by newer state-named shields." if this is indeed true, then I'm pretty stoked about one suggestion I've made--to revert back to the cutout US shields, be they the California, double-outline, or the US-89 shields on I-70/US-89 in Sevier County. I'm not holding my breath, but I can dream...
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

the state-named shields are spreading.  excellent!

wonder if we can get one to spread to Tennessee... as far as I know, there are none in that state.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 28, 2012, 03:12:15 PM
the state-named shields are spreading.  excellent!

wonder if we can get one to spread to Tennessee... as far as I know, there are none in that state.

If anyone is in the area, they should go to the north side of I-40 Exit 407 (the TN 66 exit for Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.)

About 12-13 years ago, there was a pair of state-name I-40 signs on the southbound unnumbered county highway approaching that interchange. I did not have a camera handy to take a photo.  :banghead:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

as far as I know, those are gone.

the last one I ever saw was on the western end of 640 - I can't remember if it was the END 640 or the JCT 40 but one was state named.  this was on Dec 31, 2004.

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Hey, CL, any updates on state-named shields?

CL

Nope. Haven't seen one since I was in Utah County (Orem) a few weeks ago, and I haven't had the opportunity to venture down there to get some photos. But it's still on my to-do list. I'm also planning on getting photos of all the new signage that's been posted on I-15 through there. Completion of the 24-mile reconstruction project is around six months away, but the northern third of the project is virtually complete.

CL

Anyone who has traversed Southern Parkway (SR-7) in St. George knows that it has piss-poor signage. I mean, no reassurance shields anywhere. (Actually, no standalone SR-7 shield even exists.) No mileage signs. One exit doesn't even have signage to denote itself. Well, UDOT just put out a signage contract...

Astragalus Dr is the one that lacks any signage whatsoever for its exit on Southern Parkway. This will be rectified soon, although I hope the arrow on the Astragalus Dr exit sign will be fixed so that it's properly tapered. Plenty of extra signage guiding the way to I-15, too.

This is the Desert Canyons Pkwy exit, which I guess will be opening soon. Situated between the River Rd and Airport Pkwy exits, this exit remained closed as the mainline freeway opened in 2010. SR-7 shields abound. Don't like the signs that read "PARKWAY ENTRANCE." A freeway is a freeway is a freeway. It's the Southern Parkway freeway, not the Southern Parkway parkway.

This page reveals that the exit after Airport Pkwy (which is the temporary northern terminus of SR-7 right now) will be Warner Valley Rd, some three-and-a-half miles north of Airport Pkwy. Not sure when the next stretch of SR-7 will open, but progress is being made.

Sorry for the lack of photos. I don't think I'll be venturing anywhere near St. George for the next few months.

agentsteel53

what's the general progress on that?  when I last drove it,. in August of 2009, I seem to recall it having the bridges made for two carriageways, but only two lanes having been built (the south side, IIRC)

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Good to hear about SR-7; I also find it interesting that UDOT and the contractors are using "Parkway Entrance" and not "Freeway " or "Expressway " entrance. There's a relatively good chance that I'll have time to get down to St. George and snap some pictures when I can.

CL

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 14, 2012, 10:54:05 AM
what's the general progress on that?  when I last drove it,. in August of 2009, I seem to recall it having the bridges made for two carriageways, but only two lanes having been built (the south side, IIRC)

SR-7 is open to exit 7, Airport Parkway. The segment between Airport Parkway and Warner Valley Road has begun or will begin construction this year. The last time I drove through in July 2011, there were dual carriageways all the way to past future exit 6, Desert Canyons Parkway. That last mile to Airport Parkway is still a super-2.

national highway 1

Quote from: Rover_0 on June 14, 2012, 02:15:23 PM
Good to hear about SR-7; I also find it interesting that UDOT and the contractors are using "Parkway Entrance" and not "Freeway " or "Expressway " entrance. There's a relatively good chance that I'll have time to get down to St. George and snap some pictures when I can.
Similar to how CalTrans signs CA 110 as PARKWAY.
BTW, does anyone know if the FREEWAY ENTRANCE signs on the 110 have been replaced by PARKWAY ENTRANCE signs? :hmmm:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

J N Winkler

My question:  what's the deal with the sign in the lower-right quarter of the plan sheet?

The rule that directions are grouped straight ahead-left-right (reading from the top of the sign) seems to have gone out of the window, and not just on this signing contract or even in this state.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 14, 2012, 08:51:45 PM
BTW, does anyone know if the FREEWAY ENTRANCE signs on the 110 have been replaced by PARKWAY ENTRANCE signs? :hmmm:

the entrances I've taken, yes.  but I've only taken one or two.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 14, 2012, 09:22:46 PM
My question:  what's the deal with the sign in the lower-right quarter of the plan sheet?

The rule that directions are grouped straight ahead-left-right (reading from the top of the sign) seems to have gone out of the window, and not just on this signing contract or even in this state.
Let's also point out that the small caps look half the large caps, when it should be in the 3/4 to 5/6 range.

Stratuscaster

I would venture that someone somewhere felt that "To I-15" trumps "straight ahead."

CL

Quote from: Steve on June 15, 2012, 06:37:10 PM
Let's also point out that the small caps look half the large caps, when it should be in the 3/4 to 5/6 range.

There are often minor inconsistencies or lapses in standards in the signing sheets that get corrected later on. Those I-15 shields with the smaller numerals will undoubtedly be manufactured onto the sign looking like this (which is the Utah standard).

Rover_0

While I'm not the main guy to post Utah pictures, I feel that it is appropriate that I post these here. It appears that the "Compromise Design" has made it as far south as Nephi (in Juab County):

A closer look shows that the beehive goes all the way out to the border, which is something I don't think I've ever seen:

I've also seen some more newer signs of this variety in Utah County (such as SR-73 in Lehi and SR-241) signs at the Lindon exit. I didn't take pictures of those, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've seen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.