News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Adventures in Utah signage

Started by CL, January 22, 2011, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 05, 2012, 05:54:35 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on July 05, 2012, 05:30:13 PM
"Compromise Design"

what does this mean?

The early 2000s design has an outline around the beehive and the outside of the sign. The late 2000s design doesn't have any outlines anywhere but is almost entirely 3-digit. The "compromise" has an outline around the beehive but not around the outside, and is mostly 3-digit (though some SR-73 signs in Lehi appear to have 2-digit variations).

Here is a comparison between the variations, from earlier in this thread. Here's a comparison between the traditional and early 2000s variations. The SR-118 sign is the familiar, traditional design, while SR-119's is an early 2000s 2-digit design.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rover_0

I've come across a picture from the St. George Spectrum (may or may not be paywalled) that have a neutered I-15 shield at the soon-to-be-completed Dixie Drive interchange (Exit 5) in St. George. What's of note here is that the digits in I-15 aren't ginormous:

This IMO is the best way to do Interstate shields, neutered or not (though the number should be moved down if the state name is on it).

CL

Quote from: Rover_0 on July 05, 2012, 05:30:13 PM
While I'm not the main guy to post Utah pictures, I feel that it is appropriate that I post these here. It appears that the "Compromise Design" has made it as far south as Nephi (in Juab County):

[SR-132 shield]

A closer look shows that the beehive goes all the way out to the border, which is something I don't think I've ever seen:

[SR-132 shield]

I've also seen some more newer signs of this variety in Utah County (such as SR-73 in Lehi and SR-241) signs at the Lindon exit. I didn't take pictures of those, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've seen.

Actually, that's the early-2000s beehive, not the so-called "compromise design." It's not really the outer border that determines it; it's the actual humps of the beehive and the opening (if you can call it that) in the lower center of the beehive. The "compromise design" takes the humps of the beehive and the opening from the late-2000s design and then puts an outline around the beehive. Thus, the compromise.

Left SR-175 shield: early-2000s / Middle SR-266 shield: late-2000s / Right SR-201 shield: "compromise"

The outer border doesn't really matter, because I've seen countless "early-2000s" shields that either do or do not have the outer border. Depends on the whim of the contractor, I guess.

Since the beginning of this year, installations have been about fifty percent "early-2000s" design and fifty percent "compromise" variant. Maybe it depends on the contractor; two separate yet adjacent repaving projects on SR-71 used the two different designs. The late-2000s design has all but died out. I'm still rooting for the compromise variant, partly because the early-2000s design provisions that series-B numerals be used for three-digit shields and series-C for two-digit. (That's not a typo.) The SR-132 shield that Rover posted is an exception, or maybe the provisions I just listed are specific to that UDOT region. (Nephi and Salt Lake are in different regions.)

As for those I-15 shields with smaller numerals, I suspect that's just the contractor following the plan sheets for the project. Because most of the plan sheets I've seen have diagrams with those smaller-numeral shields. It's definitely rare to see shields like that in Utah.

In terms of state-named Interstate shields, a few more I-215 (permanent!) shields have been posted on 900 East (as part of one of those SR-71 resurfacing projects I mentioned) in Murray. They're one-piecers, however, with a green background. Kinda like this:

TO
UTAH
–>

That's a little crude, but you get the picture. I live in the general vicinity of all those new SR-71 and I-215 shields, so I'll get some photos soon and post them here.

If anyone's in the Provo area, make sure to get photos of all the signage at the Provo Center Street and University Parkway interchanges. Especially the latter, because that's where those stellar I-15 state-name shields are, as well as some nicely designed SR-265 shields.
Infrastructure. The city.

CL

This isn't nearly as exciting as going down to Utah County and getting shots of all the new signage that's all over the place, but it's still something pretty great:

Yep. First I-215 state-name shield posted in thirty-four years. There are three at this intersection (900 East and 6600 South), and those three are the only state-name I-215 shields in existence. One-piece assemblies like this are quite uncommon in (urban) Utah. One-piecers with white backgrounds were popular for a time, but those have fallen out of use.

Left image: southbound SR-71 / Right image: northbound SR-71

SR-266 is in Salt Lake County; SR-66 is in Morgan County. I think that's all that needs to be said. (Oh, and lame early-2000s-spec shields.)

"Compromise"-variant SR-71 shield.

Early-2000s-spec SR-71 shield, for comparison.

Bizarre contractor error. Notice the old SR-171 shield, which was present at this intersection before the repaving project.

These early-2000s-spec shields are huge. Like freeway-spec size. Note the erroneous "END" banner placement on that SR-152 shield.

More compromise shields. Note that the last two photos are at the same intersection; they were just installed by different contractors. I hope this better demonstrates the difference between the early-2000s-spec and compromise shields.

Finally, a "prepare to stop" sign; also the same intersection. Utah likes to post these at certain expressway intersections. (The roadway on which this photo was taken isn't an expressway, however. It's just a tad difficult to see the traffic signals from the top of the hill from which the road descends.)

agentsteel53

can you get us a closeup of a state-named 215?

jake@aaroads.com

Compulov

Quote from: CL on July 22, 2011, 04:18:53 AM

Welcome to 1958. Land of no interstates. This just looks so typically '50s to me, including the overhead signage. They just have that vintage look to them.

Sorry to dredge up an old post on this thread, but I was curious... is that an old US Government plate on the car closest to the camera?
There's something really cool about seeing major highways before the Interstate.

Rover_0

Speaking of Utah County and their new signage, I've been able to snap some pictures in the vicinity of I-15's Exits 273 (Orem/Lindon) and one from Exit 279 (Lehi). These were taken from an iPod, so quality may be an issue. Here's just about all the signage from SR-241 with a couple of SR-114 signs:

At SR-241's east end, looking south on an adjoining street:

West SR-241 just past SB I-15 off-ramp:

Advance SR-114 JCT sign:

Intersecting arrows for SR-114 at UT-241's west end:

East SR-241 Sign:

Also, a state-named I-15 shield:

From Lehi,

While fuzzy, you can still notice the "UTAH" on the I-15 shields:

And the ever-so-confusing west end of SR-73's east segment:

Notice the "12" in the "END" sign. I really don't like segmenting routes like SR-73 now is. Either do something like California does and mark connecting non-state-maintained roads as state routes (CA-178, I think) or put a "West SR-73 (Straight Ahead Arrow)" sign here.

Either that, or completely renumber this eastern segment as something else (SR-242, bring back SR-197). If you can have a short stub like SR-93 (in Woods Cross) and SR-241, then this eastern segment of SR-73 can have a number all its own.

agentsteel53

that 15 not only is a state-named shield, but it has the correct size of name.  this in opposition to the 36" shields which had the tiny state name.  this one is perfect '70 spec.  looks like UTAH is back.  excellent.

now, onward to Tennessee.

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Quote from: Rover_0 on July 11, 2012, 02:05:43 PM
Also, a state-named I-15 shield:

Wow. Rover, thank you for making the trek to Provo to get those photos. I hope everyone that reads this appreciates the significance of a state-name I-15 shield in Utah. Utah, where state-name shields have been virtually non-existent for the last fifteen years. And here we are in 2012—state-name shields are being installed left and right. (Well, not exactly. Plenty of neutered shields are yet being utilized. I suppose that it depends on the contractor.)

And don't all those state route shields look great, too? Those SR-241 shields really accentuate the improvements in visibility of the numerals over the early-2000s shields. I think I can make it down to Provo sometime within the next seven days to get some photos of all the new shields, and some of the new overhead signage on I-15.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2012, 03:30:09 PM
can you get us a closeup of a state-named 215?

It would be my pleasure.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

a video which Jeff Royston just posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_FMsQEyp4c&feature=em-share_video_user

lots of new state-named shields in Utah!

jake@aaroads.com

CL

Not sure what to think about that series-C I-70 shield, but there you have it. I wonder where that state-name I-15 shield is that appears at 0:26.

I still have getting the close-up of that 215 shield on my to-do list. Just waiting to get my telephoto lens back into commission (might as well get a good photo of it while I'm there).

agentsteel53

Quote from: CL on July 25, 2012, 03:01:28 AM
I wonder where that state-name I-15 shield is that appears at 0:26.

everyone seems to wonder about that one!

it's at one of those public-private partnership rest-area/gas station combos (god DAMN, is there a less clumsy way of describing that thing?).  I believe it is just south of I-70.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 link=topic=4045.msg163779#msg163779
one of those public-private partnership rest-area/gas station combos (god DAMN, is there a less clumsy way of describing that thing?). 

Service area
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CL

Really quick update:

Throwback shields by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

I wouldn't even be able to imagine six months ago that Utah would be seeing the proliferation of state-named shields. Like really.
(Complete with poor sign placement.)

How all state highway shields in Utah should look by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

The caption of this image says it all. It seems that whoever installs state-named shields will install these state highway shields (the above two images are part of the same resurfacing project on 3300 South).

Throwback shield by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

Close-up of already posted image.

Overhead signs atop Interstate 15 by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

These BGSs were installed in 2009. Note the unorthodox manner that they abbreviate "North." The old UDOT standard was "No." (e.g., 600 No., 2300 No.), but in the last few years they've been left unabbreviated.

national highway 1

Quote from: CL on August 10, 2012, 01:09:48 PM
Really quick update:

Throwback shields by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

I wouldn't even be able to imagine six months ago that Utah would be seeing the proliferation of state-named shields. Like really.
(Complete with poor sign placement.)
What is that '228, 33' flag sign in front of the I-215 shields for?  :hmmm:

Quote from: CL on August 10, 2012, 01:09:48 PM

How all state highway shields in Utah should look by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

Close-up of already posted image.

Overhead signs atop Interstate 15 by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

These BGSs were installed in 2009. Note the unorthodox manner that they abbreviate "North." The old UDOT standard was "No." (e.g., 600 No., 2300 No.), but in the last few years they've been left unabbreviated.
Glad to see all these 'compromise' shields popping up all over Utah, even making their way to BGSes. Great work, CL!
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

CL

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 10, 2012, 09:56:25 PM
What is that '228, 33' flag sign in front of the I-215 shields for?  :hmmm:

That is Utah Transit Authority signage for routes 33 and 228. The 33 will be turning right; the 228, left.

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 10, 2012, 09:56:25 PM
Glad to see all these 'compromise' shields popping up all over Utah, even making their way to BGSes. Great work, CL!

Actually, the beehive on that BGS is an early-2000s variant. You can tell by the humps of the beehive, as well as the opening of the beehive. Like with standalone state highway shields, beehives on BGSs vary between early-2000s and compromise design. The numerals on BGSs, however, are always series-D, shield variant notwithstanding.

andy3175

These are great to see! Thank you CL and Rover for sharing these. I will be circling back to updating the AARoads Utah pages one of these days, probably once I get back to working through the Wyoming backlog. I definitely have some good stuff to add from Utah, especially along US 189 and US 191.

Now I need to get back to see some state-named shields, none of which were in place during my last visit in 2011.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Rover_0

Quote from: andy3175 on September 02, 2012, 01:36:15 AM
These are great to see! Thank you CL and Rover for sharing these. I will be circling back to updating the AARoads Utah pages one of these days, probably once I get back to working through the Wyoming backlog. I definitely have some good stuff to add from Utah, especially along US 189 and US 191.

Now I need to get back to see some state-named shields, none of which were in place during my last visit in 2011.

Regards,
Andy

Can't wait! Post them when you're ready.

I don't have photos, but I have a couple major updates to report.

In Brigham City, as the US-89/91/UT-13 intersection has been worked on, there are now almost exclusively 36' x 36' shields, even UT-13. They're all the newer design, but I'm pretty sure they're not the compromise design. All the I-15 and I-84 signs are also big, and they, too, are state-named.

The other major change is on the I-15/US-50 concurrency. With UDOT working on I-15/US-50 over Scipio Summit, new signs were also put up. And...US-50 is now (mostly) signed along this stretch!

As far as SB I-15/WB US-50 is concerned, only the first SB I-15 sign after the Scipio exit (Exit 188) lacks a US-50 reassurance shield (likely because it wasn't in the work zone, I presume). Both routes are signed after the Scipio Summit exit (Exit 184), and there are signs for both routes NB/EB after the Exit 178 (got a quick glance). I'm not sure about NB I-15/EB US-50 after Exit 184 (Thanksgiving traffic + not expecting anything). At Exit 178, there are now US-50 signs directing US-50 motorists onto NB I-15 as well.

Unfortunately, the only bad news is that the I-15 shields, as far as I could tell, were not state-named.

I'll try to snap some photos on my way back up.

Rover_0

Here are some fresh photos from Millard County. Alas, US-50 is signed for the most part along I-15:

Looking west from a frontage road that ends at this interchange. Interesting to see the "East" placard underneath the US-50 shield. US-50 continues westward straight ahead towards Holden, as the sign indicates.

Assembly for EB US-50. The assembly above is roughly to the left.

First NB I-15/EB US-50 reassurance shields after US-50 joins I-15. I liked the reflection it made on my vehicle's hood, so I kept that on this photo.

A further cropped version of the above image, emphasizing the shields.

Assembly on NB-15/EB US-50 after the Scipio Summit exit (Exit 184).

Like I said before, the I-15 SB/US-50 WB reassurance shields after Exit 184 are signed just like the two I-15 NB/US-50 EB (except for the appropriate placards), and the first SB I-15 shield after Exit 188 (where WB US-50 joins) is still solo. There are no US-50 shields at Exit 184 from what I could see, either, but that's likely because the old shields weren't replaced (as with the SB I-15 sign at Scipio). I-15/US-50 went from being among the worst-signed concurrencies in Utah to being among the best.

Thoughts?

CL

Quote from: Rover_0 on November 26, 2012, 07:00:26 PM
I-15/US-50 went from being among the worst-signed concurrencies in Utah to being among the best.

Utah also went from being among the worst places for non-neutered shields to just a subpar place for finding non-neutered shields. So we're definitely making progress on multiple fronts.

The I-15 reconstruction project in Utah County is just about to wrap up. Maybe I'll devote a day of my winter break to taking photos of the finished product.

xonhulu

Quote from: Rover_0 on November 26, 2012, 07:00:26 PM
I-15/US-50 went from being among the worst-signed concurrencies in Utah to being among the best.

Thoughts?

Great photos and great news!

You said awhile ago that you met with a UDOT official on the matter of signing concurrencies, and that he'd look into the matter of signing them better, right?  So if you had some influence on these new US 50 signs, good for you!

Signing US 50 along I-70 will be an even tougher nut to crack.  The last time I drove it (in 2010) there was some US 50 signage along the freeway a little ways east of Salina:

Along westbound I-70, too:

It's even signed at the on-ramps in some locations:

If I recall, the last mention of US 50 is at the interchange for UT 72, about 35 miles east of Salina:

After that, I saw no more mention of US 50 for the rest of Utah, save for this assembly along the westbound business loop in Green River:

If I recall correctly, US 6 and US 191 weren't really signed very much along their concurrencies with I-70, either, although I think I saw them in a couple places where 50 wasn't mentioned.

Anyway, keep the news and photos coming.  It's great to see some ignored US Routes getting at least some of their due on these multiplexes.

nexus73

Utah also went from being among the worst places for non-neutered shields to just a subpar place for finding non-neutered shields. So we're definitely making progress on multiple fronts.

The I-15 reconstruction project in Utah County is just about to wrap up. Maybe I'll devote a day of my winter break to taking photos of the finished product.

Am I ever looking forward to seeing those pix as well as hearing your impressions of how the newly redone I-15 is for driving.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Rover_0

I'm planning on driving (going back to school), and then snapping some pictures in Panguitch. When I drove through on the way down here for the holidays, new green signs were placed up at the US-89/UT-143 junction. There's an interesting thing they did there, but I'll wait to post it.

I also have some pictures of new signage at the US-89/UT-12 junction from back in September.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.