AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: South Carolina  (Read 96686 times)

TimQuiQui

• Last Login: Today at 02:09:36 AM
    • The Third Turn
Re: South Carolina
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2018, 11:35:11 AM »

As for the state sheilds, South Carolina redesigned their state shields a while back to use the blue palmetto design, away from the traditional black and white rectangle. Most of the signage across the state has been slowly updated, but a lot of the interstate exit signs, particularly on I85, show the older design.

Jim

• 17,000+ road sign pics and counting!

• Last Login: September 22, 2018, 10:27:47 PM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »

Driving I-95 in the southernmost few dozen miles of South Carolina this evening was pretty depressing, seeing all the progress on the clear cutting of the median trees.  That was such a distinctive South Carolina thing to me, with an added bonus that when we drove up through here in the middle of the night, it was a nice break from oncoming headlights in your eyes all the time.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: http://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: http://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, weather, sports)

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: September 21, 2018, 08:44:14 PM
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2018, 03:43:29 PM »

Driving I-95 in the southernmost few dozen miles of South Carolina this evening was pretty depressing, seeing all the progress on the clear cutting of the median trees.  That was such a distinctive South Carolina thing to me, with an added bonus that when we drove up through here in the middle of the night, it was a nice break from oncoming headlights in your eyes all the time.

I enjoy the trees myself, and don’t have the “tunnel vision” issues that many people complain about.  But the removal is for safety, and I completely understabd why.  Just a couple of months ago, a young woman from somewhere in the northeast and her two young children were killed in a freak accident on I-95 northbound a few miles north of I-26 where she ran over an alligator in the middle of the road, swerved into the median, and hit a tree head on.  Apparently preventing head-on collisions with trees is preferred over keeping the trees intact.  They are trying to keep a few of the trees in place to create a “park-like” landscape.

fillup420

• Last Login: September 21, 2018, 11:18:55 PM
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »

I believe you are talking about when they place US Highway signs on green signs, where they have a black outline instead of the flush look seen in other states.

Why they do that... dunno.

Yea, the US shields on BGS’s have that weird black outline, and the numbers look like a slightly different font. It bears a resemblance to CA signage. This is still practiced with new signs, although the blue SC state hwy signs are making their way onto BGS’s.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:35:25 AM
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »

I enjoy the trees myself, and don’t have the “tunnel vision” issues that many people complain about.  But the removal is for safety, and I completely understabd why.  Just a couple of months ago, a young woman from somewhere in the northeast and her two young children were killed in a freak accident on I-95 northbound a few miles north of I-26 where she ran over an alligator in the middle of the road, swerved into the median, and hit a tree head on.  Apparently preventing head-on collisions with trees is preferred over keeping the trees intact.  They are trying to keep a few of the trees in place to create a “park-like” landscape.

30 feet of clear roadside is fully adequate for safety.  Very rarely will a vehicle hit a tree that is more than 30 feet from the roadway, and given a departure angle of 10 to 15 degrees, there is a lot of distance for the vehicle to slow considerably first.
Scott M. Savage
-- Borders, Language and Culture
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

bigdave

• Last Login: September 21, 2018, 10:27:23 AM
« Reply #305 on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »

30 feet of clear roadside is fully adequate for safety.  Very rarely will a vehicle hit a tree that is more than 30 feet from the roadway, and given a departure angle of 10 to 15 degrees, there is a lot of distance for the vehicle to slow considerably first.

Of course you are correct, but what to do about the poor tree removal contractors?  :hmmm:

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:35:25 AM
« Reply #306 on: August 21, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »

Of course you are correct, but what to do about the poor tree removal contractors?  :hmmm:

Draw up design plans a segment of the highway for clearing to a 30-foot clear roadside, and let the contracting industry bid on the project.
Scott M. Savage
-- Borders, Language and Culture
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

SCtoKC

• Last Login: September 22, 2018, 10:31:43 PM
« Reply #307 on: August 21, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/opinion/2018/07/24/state-153-extension-near-easley-under-construction-finally/818446002/

I ran across this article today about the SC 153 extension in Easley.  Easley is my hometown and I grew up just a mile or so from the 123/153 interchange, so I've been trying to follow this one as much as I can.

I don't really see this relieving much of the congestion on 123.  The article mentions that it could help people traveling between Pickens and Powdersville, but it seems to me that the original proposal of extending 153 to SC 183 would have been better for that purpose.

Gnutella

• Last Login: September 18, 2018, 10:59:32 AM
« Reply #308 on: August 22, 2018, 01:42:49 AM »

Any progress on I-85 between Spartanburg and the North Carolina state line?

TimQuiQui

• Last Login: Today at 02:09:36 AM
    • The Third Turn
« Reply #309 on: August 23, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »

I drove through there last month - the first phase (Miles 80 to 98) is well underway with shoulder strengthening, lane closures, etc. The second phase (98 to state line) had not started yet, at least in terms of obvious construction, at that time.

Gnutella

• Last Login: September 18, 2018, 10:59:32 AM
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2018, 02:11:40 AM »

I drove through there last month - the first phase (Miles 80 to 98) is well underway with shoulder strengthening, lane closures, etc. The second phase (98 to state line) had not started yet, at least in terms of obvious construction, at that time.

Sweeet. The segment from Spartanburg to Gaffney is maddening and dangerous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.