News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 710 extension

Started by Interstate Trav, February 22, 2011, 11:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

I was wondering what are your thougts on this subject?  Do you think that Caltrans should be able to do it, or do you agree with South Pasadena? 

agentsteel53

I-710 would be the only bypass of the East LA interchange - the merits of it outweigh the objections that South Pasadena may raise. 

it needs to be built.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bigmikelakers

Crazy Nimbys. Imagine how many freeways we would have had if it wasn't for them. Beverly Hills Freeway, Laurel Canyon Freeway, Pacific Coast Freeway, and countless others could have helped so much in terms of traffic relief in Los Angeles. The people in South Pasadena were ok with a tunnel back in the 1990s I believe then when Caltrans begin to study the tunnel, they were against it. Like AgentSteel said, this freeway needs to be built. Its a huge gap in our freeway network here.

agentsteel53

don't forget La Cienega Freeway (170 extension, even further south than the Laurel Canyon), the whole 164/19 plan in which 19 was to become a full freeway... and 138 as a northern bypass of the whole damn mess! 

jake@aaroads.com

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 23, 2011, 07:59:47 AM
don't forget La Cienega Freeway (170 extension, even further south than the Laurel Canyon), the whole 164/19 plan in which 19 was to become a full freeway... and 138 as a northern bypass of the whole damn mess! 

The 19? Lakewood Bl was supposed to be a freeway? I can see the 138 happening since its still pretty open up there. They could easily bypass the developed portions of Lancaster/Palmadale. Has that project been cancelled?

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 23, 2011, 07:59:47 AM

164/19 would have probably made the 710 gap less critical than it has become...while the 170 extension would have not only provided better access to LAX from the Valley, but also relieved the 101/405 mess!
Chris Sampang

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on February 23, 2011, 12:32:40 AM
Crazy Nimbys. Imagine how many freeways we would have had if it wasn't for them. Beverly Hills Freeway, Laurel Canyon Freeway, Pacific Coast Freeway, and countless others could have helped so much in terms of traffic relief in Los Angeles. The people in South Pasadena were ok with a tunnel back in the 1990s I believe then when Caltrans begin to study the tunnel, they were against it. Like AgentSteel said, this freeway needs to be built. Its a huge gap in our freeway network here.

So true, imagine if even just the Beverly Hills and Laurel Canyon Freeways were added.  Would make a huge difference.

Quillz

The only freeway I'm glad was never actually built was the I-480 that was supposed to create a freeway-to-freeway connection in San Francisco. While that would have been convenient, it would have been at the huge cost of the city's charm, taking away many scenic views of the bay.

But in the case of I-710, there is no reason this freeway shouldn't be built.

Quillz

Also, taking a look at some of those old maps is interesting, especially how "parkway" was being used in place of numbered freeways.

What I found most interesting was the "Whitnall Parkway" that would have been a diagonal through the Valley. Today, there is a short stretch of road known as the "Whitnall Hwy," which I imagine was intended to be part of the freeway. I always wondered why such a short road was called a "highway," and now I know.

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 23, 2011, 11:14:32 AM
see here for some great planned freeway maps:

http://www.cahighways.org/maps-sc-fwy.html

Is the Temescal Pkwy pretty much CA 71 and I-15 south of Corona today?

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on February 24, 2011, 01:44:09 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 23, 2011, 11:14:32 AM
see here for some great planned freeway maps:

http://www.cahighways.org/maps-sc-fwy.html

Is the Temescal Pkwy pretty much CA 71 and I-15 south of Corona today?

Pretty much.  But my guess is back then it was just going to be route 71 since the 15 originally stopped in San Bernardino, and even before it got route to its current alignment it was on the now 215.

andy3175

I did find some additional, recent information on the 710 tunnel (including costs and geotechnical overview):

Metro Meeting Minutes and Staff Report:
http://www.metro.net/about/meetings/board/rbm-0224-2011/agenda/
http://www.metro.net/board/Items/2011/02_February/20110224RBMItem2.pdf

Another page that follows LA transportation issues is la.streetsblog.org. It is generally opinionated but might give a feeling of reasons why some are opposed to the tunnel, for right or wrong:
http://la.streetsblog.org/2011/02/25/name-the-sr-710-extension-moves-to-the-final-page-but-how-much-will-it-cost/

Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Bigmikelakers

Would there be a toll for the tunnel extension?

Alps

Don't think it was ever discussed with a toll. That would be an intriguing way to finance it, but it would have to be all-electronic given no room for tollbooths.

Bigmikelakers

Has rerouting the 110 to meet up with the 210/134 interchange ever been considered? Caltrans owns the properties along Pasadena Ave up to the existing stub so 110 could be rerouted northward at Fremont Ave. Do you guys think that would make sense?

TheStranger

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on May 24, 2011, 07:32:15 PM
Has rerouting the 110 to meet up with the 210/134 interchange ever been considered?

I don't think so - I know that with the current 710 plans, a proposed 110/710 interchange was nixed, so this likely would not be feasible for the same reason that that junction will not exist.
Chris Sampang

Alps

It would not really be feasible to lift CA 110 out of the trench and get it up Pasadena Ave. You'd have to dig out a considerable amount of Pasadena to curve it northward into that corridor.

Bigmikelakers

Quote from: Steve on May 24, 2011, 08:38:45 PM
It would not really be feasible to lift CA 110 out of the trench and get it up Pasadena Ave. You'd have to dig out a considerable amount of Pasadena to curve it northward into that corridor.

Yeah, thats a good point. I didn't think about that.

hm insulators

Besides, that poor little Pasadena Freeway/Arroyo Seco Parkway (or whatever it is they're calling it) couldn't handle the extra traffic. It was never designed to handle anywhere near the traffic it has to deal with now in the first place.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Bigmikelakers

According to Metro, the extension is in the early planning stages thanks to the measure R funds.

http://www.metro.net/interactives/measurer_projectmap/

Theres a few projects that I haven't heard before. But, I was surprised that theres no plan to redesign the 10/605 interchange.

HighwayMaster

If the 710 can't be finished, improvements to Fremont Avenue should be made so it could handle the through traffic from the 10 to the 210.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

cpzilliacus

[it seemed appropriate to bump the thread, since the other threads about the proposed I-710 extension were not directly related to this]

L.A. Times:  L.A. opposes 710 Freeway extension above ground or by tunnel

QuoteThe L.A. City Council unanimously votes to oppose the options presented by the MTA. It joins South Pasadena, La Cañada Flintridge and Glendale.

QuoteThe Los Angeles City Council unanimously adopted a resolution Tuesday that joined a chorus of voices opposing plans to extend the 710 Freeway north either above ground or by tunnel.

QuoteThe Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Thursday narrowed the 12 possible options down to five and decided to cease exploration of any above-ground extension. But a tunnel connecting the 710 Freeway to the 210 Freeway is still on the table.

QuoteMTA officials have said they do not prefer a single option, but foes believe the tunnel is the favored option because it provides a route for trucks from the Port of Los Angeles to move cargo inland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

myosh_tino

Since no one wants the I-710 extension built except for the MTA and the city of Alhambra, I'm thinking they should just forget about the I-710 extension but they should also close and demolish the two freeway stubs north of I-10 and south of I-210/CA-134 and use the extension money for a new I-210/CA-134 interchange where I-210 traffic doesn't have to "exit" the freeway to stay on I-210.

Closing the stub north of I-10 will force freeway traffic onto I-10 instead of Valley Blvd thus keeping it out of Alhambra.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 29, 2012, 01:55:49 PM
no one wants the I-710 extension built except for the MTA and the city of Alhambra

not correct.  just about anyone who studies the traffic patterns wants it. 

it is useful for local traffic, to actually get to Pasadena from the south, and critical for through traffic - as an alternate to the East LA Interchange.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.