News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Most miles driven in a day

Started by berberry, February 24, 2011, 10:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcellntbuy

In my case, 909 miles.  It was a long, long day.  Savannah, Georgia north to Columbia, South Carolina.  Drove around Columbia for about an hour, had a meeting for about an hour-and-a-quarter and then drove all the way home south to Coral Springs, Florida.

I will never do that again.

highwayroads

Nevada to Connecticut in 2 days by auto. Left Nevada at 8:30 AM on a Saturday and arrived in Connecticut on Monday morning around 7 AM. Stopped in Oklahoma City 1 night.

Sanctimoniously

Driving from Jacksonville, NC to home in West Monroe, LA, my goal is usually always somewhere west of Atlanta, usually Douglasville, which is 561 miles going US 17 SB to I-40 WB to I-95 SB to I-20 WB. Pretty paltry compared to some of the numbers I've seen in this thread, but I need my rest and shower and would probably go crazy if I tried to make the entire thousand-mile trip in one sitting.

The longest I ever tried to drive was probably from Tuscaloosa, AL to Virginia Beach, VA, about 815 miles going I-20 EB to I-95 NB to US 58 EB. Never again.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

DBrim

Solo my record is ~850.  Middletown, DE to Middletown, CT (no, that wasn't intentional) via California, MD (spur for county), all counties on the Delmarva peninsula, and Virginia Beach.  Originally I was intending to get home to Watertown, MA but after going through New York I didn't have it in me.  My overall total isn't that impressive because I hate interstates.

With another person, I'm sure it's somewhere in the 1200+ range.

agentsteel53

Quote from: DBrim on June 06, 2012, 07:48:47 AM

With another person, I'm it's somewhere in the 1200+ range.

I think it may be as much as 1400, if we take the most favorable 24-hour slice of our Alcan run.  at 110mph, those miles add up!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ftballfan

Solo, it's Manistee to Flushing (with a side trip to get Shiawassee County) to Manistee (with side trips to clinch I-675 and the US-10 business routes in Midland and Clare). Roughly 400 miles round trip, and I did the return leg on no sleep. Both legs happened in the same 24 hour period, so I think it counts.

the49erfan15

With others, it's either the 1,400 miles from Whitehorse, Yukon to Dawson Creek, British Columbia; or roughly the same distance from Dawson Creek to Regina, Saskatchewan. We even found a few hours to mess around at the West Edmonton Mall on that stretch, which we did in consecutive days. Part of a 4,600+ mile drive from Anchorage, AK to Rock Hill, SC. There were 4 of us and we took turns.

By myself (at least, I was the only one driving) was 750+ miles from New Orleans to Rock Hill, SC. My girlfriend was with me but she was in no shape to drive, the night before on Bourbon Street got to her  :sombrero:
Driven: AK-1, AK-2, AK-3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 39, 40, 57, 59, 64, 65, 69, 70, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 81, 85, 90, 94, 95
Clinched: 16, 85

Kacie Jane

With a partner, mine is 1,229 from Bellingham to Los Angeles.  I did most of the driving -- except from Seattle to Kelso, WA and from Redding to Dunnigan, CA -- and only slept for about an hour during my breaks.  That adds up to 980 for me.

Strictly by myself, my longest is 624 miles -- Bellingham to Aberdeen to Yakima and back to take the photos here during my Wikipedia days.

cpzilliacus

Longest I ever drove was from New Carrollton, Maryland to DeKalb, Illinois - starting in the afternoon, and ending-up in DeKalb the next morning.

Google Maps says that's 764 miles and an estimated travel time of 13 hours 34 minutes, though it would have been more when I drove it, since the NMSL was still in effect.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

frank gifford

1200 miles, several times, Michigan-Texas and Oklahoma-Michigan.  That's straight through stopping only to fill one tank and empty another...if you know what I mean, and I'm sure you do.  That was also WITHOUT cruise control (in a Geo Prizm, a clone of the Toyota Corolla) that I kept running for 500,143 miles before I used it for a trade and got $150 for it.

A friend of mine back in his college days would drive straight through from Arlington VA to Orem UT, where he attended BYU.  He was a Mormon and they don't drink coffee.  Cokes were okay though.  He said he would have an early breakfast in  Arlington (just outside Washington DC) and his Mom would pack him a lunch.  He would drive all day, then all night, then all day the SECOND DAY, and ALL NIGHT THE SECOND NIGHT, before arriving after dawn on the third day and collapsing.
His vehicle:  A VW Super Beetle, one of the last versions of the original.   

wphiii

I will preface this by saying I generally don't believe making long-haul trips as quickly as possible, and fortunately, I've never been in a situation where I've had to travel an excessive distance in an extremely limited amount of time...so with that in mind, the winner for me is a relatively unimpressive 724 miles in one day, from Pittsburgh to St. Louis via Kent, Ohio and Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial in Indiana.

kphoger

I had a roommate who grew up in both Santa Ana (CA) and México City.  He once drove straight from Santa Ana to México City by himself.  No matter which route you take, that's more than 1800 miles; this was before México had an extensive system of four-lane highways, and some of the shortcut toll roads hadn't been built, so it was likely 100 or 200 miles longer than that.  I remember him saying that, by the time he got to México City, his brain couldn't handle anything over about 40 mph; people would fly past him, but that was all he could do.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Sykotyk

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 09:48:30 AM
I had a roommate who grew up in both Santa Ana (CA) and México City.  He once drove straight from Santa Ana to México City by himself.  No matter which route you take, that's more than 1800 miles; this was before México had an extensive system of four-lane highways, and some of the shortcut toll roads hadn't been built, so it was likely 100 or 200 miles longer than that.  I remember him saying that, by the time he got to México City, his brain couldn't handle anything over about 40 mph; people would fly past him, but that was all he could do.

As you get tired, speed becomes a lot faster than it really is. What you could drive comfortably at 70mph near feels hyperspeed at 50, etc. If I can't drive at least 60mph comfortably (wide open rural freeway), I know I'm too tired to drive and call it a day.

Alps

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 02, 2012, 03:36:01 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 09:48:30 AM

As you get tired, speed becomes a lot faster than it really is. What you could drive comfortably at 70mph near feels hyperspeed at 50, etc. If I can't drive at least 60mph comfortably (wide open rural freeway), I know I'm too tired to drive and call it a day.
Completely different for me. It's not a function of speed, it's just whether I can keep my eyes open. No matter what is affecting my perception, be it sleep or something else, I still manage to drive the same speed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.