News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most miles driven in a day

Started by berberry, February 24, 2011, 10:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Longest I guess I've done is from the Badlands area of South Dakota home to eastern Kentucky back in 1991 when I was traveling with my dad and brother. We started looking for motel rooms along the I-74 corridor in Illinois but everything was full, so once we got to Indianapolis my dad basically decided to head on home. The three of us took turns driving but he decided to stop at the welcome center in northern Kentucky for a short nap early in the morning before we headed on home.

The most I've done in one day was last summer from Marshalltown, Iowa to home. It was an indirect route, though, including a ride across the Mississippi River on the ferry connecting Missouri and Kentucky. I intended to spend the night somewhere in the Paducah/Kentucky Dam area, but circumstances dictated me driving on home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wytout

1410 Miles, Stafford CT to Hallandale Beach, FL in just over 21 hours.
That was 10 years ago.. In order to do that now... same trip in that amount of time, I believe I'd need a break (aka someone else to share driving with, if only to take over for a couple hours).

I do remember having to "coach" myself and start smacking myself a lot around Port St Lucie  :sleep:.... around exit 64-65 (exit 120's in the new mileage based system?)
-Chris

InterstateNG

738 miles from Springfield, MO to Ypsilanti, MI via Indianapolis.
I demand an apology.

yakra

1150+ miles back in 2006, from a bit east of Laramie to Santa Clara. A lazy 22 hours including food, bathroom, fuel, a slight amount of sightseeing detours...

Longest drive in nasty win'ah weathah was when I followed a blizzard from Oneonta to Arrowsic.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

deathtopumpkins

Longest I've done so far is Hampton Roads to Boston. Took maybe 12 hours. Nothing too impressive now, but for someone who only had a permit at the time it sure was.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

njroadhorse

The longest I have ever done in one day is from my house in Northern New Jersey to Canton, OH via the PA Turnpike, I-70, and I-77.  We only went this way because there were Lake Effect bands coming across I-80 and I-76 in northern Ohio and PA, so we took a southern route.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

r-dub

My massive gonzo drive would have to be from Colorado Springs to Portland, ME. 2100+ miles in just over 29 hours. Considering I stopped for dinner with friends in Cleveland and crashed in a rest stop for a few hours somewhere in New York, I'd say that would fit the 24 hour rule. Simply put, that one hurt and I ended up sleeping about 20 hours when I got to Portland. Route was US 24 -> I-70 -> I-270 around Columbus -> I-71 -> OH 83 to the friend's home, then I-90 -> I-290 -> I-495 -> I-95 into Portland.

Never. Again. In a million years.

Around Colorado, I'd say my long drive with the least amount of Interstates would have to be my site's 1 year anniversary Mega Trip (http://r-dub.us/various/051206/index.html), which was 720 miles mostly on mountainous terrain north and west of Denver.
Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

ftballfan

Me driving: Manistee-Big Rapids-Cadillac-Manistee or Allendale-Kalamazoo-Grand Rapids-Allendale

In a car: Manistee-Key West nonstop (approx. 28 hours)

Treacherous conditions, me not driving: Franklin, TN to Orlando in 14 hours (included approx. 2 hours for dinner and gas and driving through a heavy rain all through southern Georgia)

agentsteel53

I think for treacherous conditions, about half of our return trip from Alaska was in snow.  Icefields Parkway was unplowed - 8 inches in the ruts, 12 or so in the high center.  We were driving a Corolla!  At one point, we high-centered the car and sledded down a hill.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

architect77

I've driven from Atlanta to Los Angeles several times (in the 1990's) that was broken into 3 12-hour driving periods in 3 days, and I remember a few times at night where it would dawn upon me that I hadn't thought about anything for last several seconds or so. It was a scary reminder that I had started to doze off, which isn't good with the cruise control set at 77mph.

agentsteel53

Atlanta to LA in 36 hours  :-o

my record for cross-country is San Francisco to Miami in 50.

36.  GOD DAMN.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 31, 2011, 09:46:52 PM

36.  GOD DAMN.
I think you misread. It's 36 hours of actual driving, but spread over 3 days.

agentsteel53

plus I just did out the math and Atlanta to Miami, plus SF to LA is another thousand miles.  Damn, Miami is f'n far.  I should know this - I've damn near fallen asleep on I-10 and I-75 more than enough times.

when I first read "Atlanta to LA" I thought "oh, that's about 3000 miles" so I did the math and ... averaging 83mph, now that would be something.

jake@aaroads.com

architect77

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 31, 2011, 09:46:52 PM

36.  GOD DAMN.
That's an approximate figure. Maybe I drove 14-16 hours some days, I don't remember. I regret some of my hastiness though. I drove by the Grand Canyon several times and never stopped to see it.

Bigmikelakers

I recently did LA (Torrance area) to Sedona. I left around 11am and got to Sedona a little after 8pm. I made a feel stops on the way in Barstow, Neddles, Kingman, and Williams though and I also had the cruise control set to around 75mph. If it wasn't for the highway patrol I probably would have gotten there way sooner.

roadman65

Drove from Kansas City International Airport to Albuequerque, NM.  Do not know the actual mileage, but used I-29, I-35, US 54-400, US 400 (to Dodge City), US 283, US 54, and I-40,  It was almost twelve hours mostly cause I spent time in Emporia, KS and Dodge City, KS.  Nonethess, I did it in a day and have to give the time zones a part cause I gained an hour going into Mountain Time!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dr Frankenstein

My new record is now 458 miles. Yeah, I know, still small.

Beauharnois, QC to Parsippany, NJ; QC-132, QC-202, Franklin Co. 52, US-11, Northway, then I-787 and I-90 in Albany, Taconic Pkwy to NYC and G. Washintgon Bridge, and then some I-80 in NJ.

Duke87

My new record as of yesterday is 594.0 miles. Toronto, ON to Stamford, CT

local streets → Gardiner Expwy W → ON 427 N → ON 401 E → ON 137 S → I-81 S → I-84 E → NY17 E → I-87 S → Saw Mill Pkwy S → local streets → my cousin's house → local streets → NY 100A N → I-287 E → Hutchinson/Merritt Pkwy N → CT 137 N → local streets → home

Took about 10½ hours (8 AM-6:30 PM), including a half hour stop for breakfast, three pit stops, waiting a bit at the border, and dwelling for about a half hour at my cousin's house.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mts83

Longest with just me driving and no overnight stops is Charleston, SC to back home near Atlantic City, NJ (I-526->I-26->I-95->I-295->US-40->NJ-50). Roughly 12hrs, and 700 miles of driving. Technically it was even higher for the past 24hrs though, because the night before I had gone county hunting, leaving Charleston, driving to Yulee, FL, then turned around and drove back to Charleston, before embarking for NJ early the next "morning" (US-17->I-95->A1A//US-17->I-95->US 17A->I-26->I-526). That little evening side trip to FL ended up being another 470 miles lol.

Longest with shared driving is home near Atlantic City, NJ to Omaha, NE with no overnight stops. NJ-50->ACE->NJ-42->I-76->I-76/70->I-76->I-80->I-80/90->I-80->I-680->I-29->I-680->NE-64. That was a long drive lol, 21hrs, and 1285 miles.

mhallack

When I moved to Maine, me and my wife drover cross country. The longest stretch of the whole trip I can recall was from Mishawaka Indiana to Niagara Falls Ontario. Yeah a bit of a diversion, but we wanted a couple days break. We took I-80/I-90, not sure exactly how many hours it was but likely about 9 hours including pit stops, etc. All done in a 97 Saturn SL-2. Wish I still had that car!!

Duke87

New record as of 7/14: 702.1 miles in 11½ hours. Stamford, CT to Covington, KY

Merritt/Hutchinson River Pkwy S → Cross County Pkwy W → I-87 S → I-95 S → I-276 W → I-76 W → I-70 W → I-270 S/W → I-71 S

The drive back (different route) was a couple miles longer (704.8), but I was only behind the wheel for about 40% of it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

My parents and I took an RV from Joliet to Bakersfield, CA while moving them from here to there this past October.  My father and I switched off driving (each maybe 50% or so), and we stopped for gas, food, and restroom breaks.  Started here at 2am (CDT) Saturday morning, and got there at 4pm (PDT).  A total of 38 hours (partially because the RV wouldn't go faster than 45mph up to the Eisenhower Tunnel and up Vail Pass - I know, I drove that section).  The route: I-80 -> I-280 -> I-76 -> I-70 -> I-15 -> CA-58.  I think I slept maybe 7 of those hours (including all of I-70 in Utah at night - I was a little tired after the mountain driving in Colorado).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

texaskdog

840 Billings to Saint Paul.   Not as much as many of you but I WAS hung over.

Post Merge: August 11, 2011, 11:29:13 AM

Quote from: Duke87 on April 05, 2011, 07:49:53 PM
My new record as of yesterday is 594.0 miles. Toronto, ON to Stamford, CT

Pilgrimage to WWE headquarters?

SSOWorld

Erie PA to Ocean's Grove, MA.  671 miles.  included intentional detours to Boston including going through the Ted Williams and Callahan Tunnels and Providence, RI. Took about 12 hours - including time stuck in traffic at the Big Dig on I-93. The NY route of choice was I-86 all the way to Deposit (where I turned onto NY-8 to go north to I-88) and took I-90 through Albany.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

830 miles in December 1991 coming home from the Gator Bowl. Two other guys and I went to the game and we stayed some distance west of Jacksonville in a motel in Macclenny, Florida. Did the drive home in one day and we had to drop off one of the other guys in Charlottesville, then I had to drop off the other guy at his parents' house near Mount Vernon, then I finished the short remaining drive back to my parents' house where I was staying on winter vacation. Route was I-10 east to I-95, I-95 north to I-64, I-64 west to Charlottesville and then a few local roads to the one guy's apartment near UVA, then I-64 to US-250 to VA-22 to VA-231 to US-15 to VA-20 to VA-3 back to I-95 near Fredericksburg, then local roads in Northern Virginia. We didn't use I-295 around Jacksonville because this was the period when there was an outbreak of people throwing rocks off overpasses.

(Last month my wife and I made a similar drive from Green Cove Springs near Jacksonville. But we didn't have to go through Charlottesville. It knocked about 100 miles off the trip not having to go there, total 734 miles.)

Close second would be 819 miles from my parents' house in Fairfax, Virginia, to Montgomery, Alabama, summer of 1997 when I was working in Alabama for the summer and went home to visit my parents for a week prior to heading south. I was tired of I-85, so I took I-66 to I-81, south to I-40, west through Knoxville to I-75, southwest to I-24, west to I-59, south to I-459 near Birmingham, I-459 around Birmingham, then I-65 south to Montgomery.

The mileage figures may be off by minute amounts due to exiting the highway for gas, food, or toilet breaks.

My longest really fast trip would probably be from downtown Atlanta to Fairfax, Virginia, on December 31, 1995. I had been to the Peach Bowl the night before and wanted to make it home for a New Year's Eve party Sunday night. 653 miles in nine hours, including one gas stop and one food stop and no piss breaks, via the I-85 to I-95 route. I made it from Durham, NC, to Montgomery (560 miles) in 7 hours of driving time once (not including the stop in Atlanta for gas and to hit the Varsity), via I-85 the whole way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.