AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: 40th anniversary of the abandonment of I-40 through Overton Park (Memphis)  (Read 4687 times)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Diplomat of Solid Sound

• Last Login: Today at 11:49:22 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
SAVE AAROADS!! ONLY TALK ABOUT ROADS!

rte66man

• Last Login: November 11, 2019, 09:42:54 PM

When I was younger, I didn't understand why they couldn't have come up with an alternative.  Now I'm older, I am very glad they didn't build it.  Overton Park is indeed world class and needed to be preserved.  Unfortunately, the area immediately west is not one you would want to linger in.  It's too bad they can't seem to improve it.

rte66man.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Revive 755

• Last Login: November 11, 2019, 10:42:43 PM

Found a blog entry that has brief mention of former plans to tunnel I-40 through the park:
http://www.overtonparkforever.org/2011/03/forty-years-ago.html

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos

^^^

Man, there are some actual tree-huggers in that blog entry.

But, seriously, I can see the wisdom in not bulldozing the park.  However, why didn't anyone come up with an alternative to routing I-40 over the former I-240.  I hate to see 2di's routed over beltways like I-95 in Washington, DC and Boston, MA because by the time people finally admitted that the original route wasn't going to fly, there weren't any alternatives that weren't hellishly expensive.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

codyg1985

• Last Login: November 07, 2019, 12:54:17 PM

The only alternative that would have made sense to me would have been to route it south of Overton Park along Madison Ave. Routing along Poplar would have been too close to the park.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.