News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Found in the Google News Archives

Started by Revive 755, March 06, 2011, 10:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

mightyace

^^^
Below that is an article about then Governor Daniel Walker being pressured to increase the state's supplemental freeway systems.

What roads finally ended up in that list and how many of them actually got built?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Revive 755

Quote from: mightyace on March 15, 2011, 03:06:21 PM
^^^
Below that is an article about then Governor Daniel Walker being pressured to increase the state's supplemental freeway systems.

What roads finally ended up in that list and how many of them actually got built?

Just looked and realized this should be in one of the Illinois sections of the forum.  Mods, can I have a thread split/move please?

As for the supplemental freeway systems, map of the finally settled upon plan:
http://www.midwestroads.com/illinois/il%20supp%20fwy.pdf

Fully built
* FAP 403: I-88
* FAP 406:  I-155 between I-55 and I-74
* FAP 408:  I-72 west of Springfield

Partially built as freeway with the rest still under study
* FAP 401:  US 20 west of I-39 - may be planned to have an expressway segment between Rockford and Freeport
* FAP 428:  Elgin O' Hare, at least the eastern section is under study

Partially built as freeway with the rest still under study/design as an expressway
* FAP 404:  US 34 west of Galesburg
* FAP 405:  IL 6/IL 29 between the western I-74/I-474 interchange and I-180
* FAP 407:  I-172 and the IL 336 corridor
* FAP 409:  US 50 - couple Super 2 segments between Lebanon and Carlye with unused bridges for the eastbound lanes
* FAP 412:  I-39/US 51 corridor - some expressway construction south of Decatur, studies for a further expressway extension down the US 51 corridor to I-64
* FAP 413:  IL 255/US 67 corridor - I believe the I-55/70 to I-270 section of I-255 was an outgrowth of this corridor, but the only section so far to be posted as an interstate.  Also seems to have been planned to include the IL 92 freeway around Quad Cities, but I think the IL 92 freeway was developed separately
* Whatever the I-355 corridor was numbered as

Partially Built as Expressway with more sections under study
* FAP 411:  Expressway sections built on IL 13 between Marion and Harrisburg, a section along US 45 north of Harrisburg with further extensions planned, plus an expressway extension of IL 394
* FAP 410:  IL 3 between Columbia and Waterloo, signalized IL 13 expressway section west of Marion, studies done for IL 13 up to Pinkneyville.  However, this one may not be completed properly since the plan now is to use the IL 127 corridor up to I-64.  The section around Columbia could be revived as the part of the Gateway Connector

No sections built, but studied or under study as possible tollways
* FAP 420:  Studied as part of the IL 53 extension, but as far as I know it won't bend northwesterly into Wisconsin
* FAP 432:  IL 53 extension
* FAP 433:  The I-57 to Indiana section has morphed into the Illinana.  The I-57 to I-80 section is a dead further extension of I-355

No sections built, but expressway under study
* US 30 between I-88 and Clinton, IA:  Some environmental studies done

Completely Dead
* FAP 414:  Was to run from the IL 15/IL 163 intersection to the Tudor ramps in the PSB Complex; could see a revival as a surface street corridor
* FAP 430:  Fox Valley Freeway

Earlier proposals not in the later plans
* A route between I-55 and I-57 near Kankakee
* A route between Peoria and I-55 north of I-74
* An extension of the FAP 406/I-155 corridor down to Decatur and possibly on to Mattoon
* A route between FAP 411 at Harrisburg and I-24 near the US 45 corridor - seems to have been one of the longest surviving non-adopted segments

hobsini2

The old FAP 411, at least the part in the Chicago area, is similar to an idea i had for I-41 that would eventually go thru Terre Haute and Evansville all the way south to Pensacola.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

The FAP numbers have now been Changed and IDOT just uses the route number. I have threads in  midwest and ohio valley on the status of all the live projects and links to IDOT and other websites I could find.
Several miles of US 67 (413) was constrcuted to 3 lanes and there is supposed to be some more. Most of Illinois 1 (411) is not under any study though some is 4 lane undivided near Danville.
Almost all the rest are in some kind of study though I would say US 20 as a freeway is on life support and fading fast. I would add large segments have been and are being 3 laned.20 is the only route left under study as a freeway
By 3 lanes I mean passing lanes. Illinois defines a super 2 as decent shoulders,curves and a passing lane every 7 miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.