News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Confederate Flag and MS state flag

Started by NE2, April 08, 2011, 07:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

[edit: this was split from the Mississippi thread]

Isn't the stars and bars specifically the battle flag, rather than the standard confederate flag?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

As far as I know (which isn't very far), the Confederate Flag was never used as an official symbol of the Confederate States of America. Plus the Stars and Bars was actually the first National Flag of the United States. However, during WWII the Confederate flag was used in some battles and by the Navy.

berberry

Quote from: AstareGod on April 08, 2011, 07:37:47 PM
As far as I know (which isn't very far), the Confederate Flag was never used as an official symbol of the Confederate States of America.

This is correct.  It was not the official flag, but it was the battle standard.  However, that fact more-or-less makes it at least semi-official; you can't blame people for thinking it was the confederate flag when it was in fact the flag that confederate soldiers carried with them.

It's kinda like how today, we in the US are not officially at war with anybody.  Except that we are.

AbE:  And incidentally, that last comment wasn't meant to be political, but just to state a fact.

qguy

Quote from: AstareGod on April 08, 2011, 07:37:47 PM
As far as I know (which isn't very far), the Confederate Flag was never used as an official symbol of the Confederate States of America. Plus the Stars and Bars was actually the first National Flag of the United States. However, during WWII the Confederate flag was used in some battles and by the Navy.

The Stars and Bars was the first national flag of the *Confederate* States of America (not the United States). This was a field of stars in a blue canton (top left) with three broad stripes, red on top and bottom and white in the middle.

The battle flag, the red flag with the blue X, began to be used after the Stars and Bars proved to be confused in battle with the U.S. flag (the Stars and Stripes). This is what most people today think of as the Confederate flag. The battle flag, however, was square, not rectangular. The rectangular version was only used as a Confederate Navy jack.

Actually, the battle flag which was the red square with the blue X design was the fourth battle flag. After the first national Confederate States flag proved too confusing in battle, a second design for the national Confederate States flag was used in battle. This was similar to the first, but the two red stripes were eliminated, leaving only the blue canton in a field of white. While this flag was no longer confused with the U.S. flag, it was unfortunately more confused instead with a flag of surrender. (Couldn't see THAT coming!) Not a good idea in battle, to say the least. (This flag is often called the "Stainless Banner.")

The third attempt at a national CS flag was similar to the second, but a red vertical bar was added to the fly (the far end). (This flag is often called the "Blood-Soaked Banner.")

Most definitely more vexillological infomation than anyone ever wanted to know on a highways forum, but hey, those CS flags are often confused. 'Course, those Confederate designers weren't helping any.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

End of the day, ask any black person what they think of the Confederate flag.  You won't get any glowing reviews.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NE2

Ask any redneck what they think of black people... we won't go there :)

Anyway, I incorrectly thought the eventual battle flag was called the Stars and Bars (since it has two diagonal bars with stars). So the real question is why people nowadays choose the battle flag rather than the pre-war official flag. And that's probably more off-topic here than we want to get, so we should probably let it rest.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on April 12, 2011, 06:02:51 PM
why people nowadays choose the battle flag rather than the pre-war official flag

because no one apart from some really anal historians thinks of the Confederacy as existing in any form other than at war with the Union.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

QuoteEnd of the day, ask any black person what they think of the Confederate flag.  You won't get any glowing reviews.

It's funny you mention that.  Some years back, the state held a flag referendum, and I did some quick maps with the results.  I've since deleted the maps, but as I recall there were at least 3 black-majority counties that voted to retain the existing state flag.

qguy

Quote from: Adam Smith on April 12, 2011, 05:35:12 PM
End of the day, ask any black person what they think of the Confederate flag.  You won't get any glowing reviews.

Won't get any argument from me on that.

At any rate, as a former U.S. Air Force officer I'll quote a good friend of mine who for four years was a Soviet airborne paratrooper before he immigrated to America: "(grinning broadly) Today the Stars and Stripes is the only flag for me."

brownpelican

Quote from: Adam Smith on April 12, 2011, 05:35:12 PM
End of the day, ask any black person what they think of the Confederate flag.  You won't get any glowing reviews.

I've found out about the real Confederate flag in the Baton Rouge paper several years ago, proving me wrong. However, many black people insist that I am wrong about the Stars and Bars when I tell them the history behind it.

mgk920

Why was my first thought, upon seeing the design of Georgia's current state flag a couple of years ago, "BRILLIANT!!!"???

And why have the 'usual suspects' been so totally quiet about it?

:confused:

:thumbsup:

Mike

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: mgk920 on April 13, 2011, 01:29:58 PM
Why was my first thought, upon seeing the design of Georgia's current state flag a couple of years ago, "BRILLIANT!!!"???

Mike
I don't live in Georgia.
If Obama supported complete US commitment to the metric system, would you (as the biggest metric system fan I know of) be against it?
:-P :poke:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mgk920

Quote from: Adam Smith on April 13, 2011, 09:20:10 PM

Mike
I don't live in Georgia.
If Obama supported complete US commitment to the metric system, would you (as the biggest metric system fan I know of) be against it?

"...there is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

Mike

mightyace

^^^

I don't think Regan originated the quote.  I know my dad said it long before I'd ever heard of Ronald Reagan and my dad never credited it to originating from any person.

On the flag, well, a lot of southerners say:
QuoteIt's history not hate.

Maybe that's true, but elsewhere, I've found the Confederate Battle Flag is mainly used by Caucasian people who don't care for "people of color".
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mgk920

Quote from: mightyace on April 15, 2011, 07:05:43 PM
^^^

I don't think Regan originated the quote.  I know my dad said it long before I'd ever heard of Ronald Reagan and my dad never credited it to originating from any person.

Reagan said that back in the 1960s.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on April 14, 2011, 01:28:28 PM
Quote from: Adam Smith on April 13, 2011, 09:20:10 PM

Mike
I don't live in Georgia.

"...there is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

Mike

Well, if he doesn't mind who gets the credit, then that quote belongs to Mae West. And it's sexual.

mightyace

^^^

Thanks, I didn't think Reagan nor my dad originated that.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

SSF

The history not hate argument is laughable.  The flag's history is of hate.  It is impossible to think of the flag without thinking of hate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.