News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google launches Map Maker in the U.S!

Started by Dr Frankenstein, April 19, 2011, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mightyace on April 22, 2011, 03:18:22 AM
I'd like to remove TN's hidden designations from there maps as they aren't signed in the field and my phone keeps wanting to use them instead of the posted route number.

What do you think is the chance of getting that through?

Might be possible.  I'd "approve" any change if I could figure out where the approval would be hidden.  All you would have to do is edit the "relation" for them.  And change them from "numbered" to "Obscure".

To do this, select the "Find - Select a Point" and click beside the highway.  Then, some icons should pop up on the road.  Click one of them and then in the bubble window that shows up, click "Edit".  Then select the route that you want to edit (example: Edit entire Florida 9)  Then the "relation" should show up and just change any of those that same "numbered" to "Obscure".

Just make sure to do this only if the entire route is hidden in the entire state and is NEVER posted.  I'm not sure yet fully on how to deal with partially posted routes.  In fact, I can't fully double check my FL-9A work till somebody "approves" or "disapproves" it.  Ugh. (yet it seems to be online now...., but it shows and not being approved on my account....)

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 22, 2011, 04:50:10 AM
I'd like to remove TN's hidden designations from there maps as they aren't signed in the field and my phone keeps wanting to use them instead of the posted route number.

Might be possible.  I'd "approve" any change if I could figure out where the approval would be hidden.  All you would have to do is edit the "relation" for them.  And change them from "numbered" to "Obscure".

To do this, select the "Find - Select a Point" and click beside the highway.  Then, some icons should pop up on the road.  Click one of them and then in the bubble window that shows up, click "Edit".  Then select the route that you want to edit (example: Edit entire Florida 9)  Then the "relation" should show up and just change any of those that same "numbered" to "Obscure".

Just make sure to do this only if the entire route is hidden in the entire state and is NEVER posted.  I'm not sure yet fully on how to deal with partially posted routes.  In fact, I can't fully double check my FL-9A work till somebody "approves" or "disapproves" it.  Ugh. (yet it seems to be online now...., but it shows and not being approved on my account....)

What did you do specifically with FL-9A? I found multiple pending edits when I looked and even a FL-9B drawn in. The map shows FL-9A around the entire beltway otherwise.

How do you go about approving an edit?

Henry

Although I'm sure this would be fun to tinker with, I'd pretty much rather mark road atlases with the correct route numbers. Faster and easier that way, and it's worked for years! ;)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mightyace

Quote from: Henry on April 22, 2011, 10:39:32 AM
Although I'm sure this would be fun to tinker with, I'd pretty much rather mark road atlases with the correct route numbers. Faster and easier that way, and it's worked for years! ;)

That's true.  However, any changes we can get in will help the millions who use Google Maps and Google Earth and the thousands who use Google Navigation.

Might be possible.  I'd "approve" any change if I could figure out where the approval would be hidden.  All you would have to do is edit the "relation" for them.  And change them from "numbered" to "Obscure".

To do this, select the "Find - Select a Point" and click beside the highway.  Then, some icons should pop up on the road.  Click one of them and then in the bubble window that shows up, click "Edit".  Then select the route that you want to edit (example: Edit entire Florida 9)  Then the "relation" should show up and just change any of those that same "numbered" to "Obscure".

Thanks, I'll try that and post it on here.  I'll just do one or two as a test since EVERY US route in this state has a hidden state number.

Just make sure to do this only if the entire route is hidden in the entire state and is NEVER posted.  I'm not sure yet fully on how to deal with partially posted routes.

Yeah, that could be a problem.  If I figure it out, I'll let everyone know.  And, there is an example local to me.  TN 7 runs concurrent with US 31 from Columbia, TN south to the border, but it Columbia TN 7 strikes out on its own as a posted route.

20091222 US 31 N @ TN 7-1 by mightyace, on Flickr

I just found another one.  TN 11 follows US 31A and 41A from Nashville to their split in Kirkland.  It then follows 31A to Pulaski where 31A ends as it meets with its parent.  But, TN 11 heads southwest from Pulaski to the AL border on its own.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

I've obscured TN 6 and have requested Saturn Parkway aka TN 396 be shown as freeway.

We'll see what happens.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2011, 12:31:00 PM
Quote from: algorerhythms on April 20, 2011, 11:55:50 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2011, 11:47:43 PM
Probably because Google thinks that Tecumseh still ends at Porter and not 12th Street.
The map on the Mapmaker site shows Tecumseh continuing to 12th Street, but when I tried to mark it as a "major artery" and upgrade it to US 77, I got a reply that said "This segment of Tecumseh Rd. is not part of US 77."

Submit it again with a link to the ODOT Control Section Map. :P
I did, and now they blocked my account for "suspicious activity" and they want my phone number, which I'm not giving them.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on April 22, 2011, 09:49:14 AM
What did you do specifically with FL-9A? I found multiple pending edits when I looked and even a FL-9B drawn in. The map shows FL-9A around the entire beltway otherwise.

How do you go about approving an edit?

I changed it to show the shields.  I also too noticed FL-9B, but had nothing to do with that one.

As for approving stuff, you need to click on the "Community Edits" tab and click "Review Edits" on anything that shows up in the current area once you click on the markers.

Quote from: mightyace on April 22, 2011, 12:51:31 PM
have requested Saturn Parkway aka TN 396 be shown as freeway.

I just approved that one.

deathtopumpkins

I've tried to edit a couple things locally, and one of them - a missing road - got approved (the others are still pending). However, while if I look under My Edits it says that it has been published, and it shows up on Map Maker, if you go on Google Maps the change is not there, so I'm questioning how well this thing works...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rickmastfan67

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 23, 2011, 01:14:58 AM
I've tried to edit a couple things locally, and one of them - a missing road - got approved (the others are still pending). However, while if I look under My Edits it says that it has been published, and it shows up on Map Maker, if you go on Google Maps the change is not there, so I'm questioning how well this thing works...

As far as I understand it DTP, the higherup's in Google still have to give final "approval" before it goes online...  Even after somebody from the community approves it... :banghead:

Duke87

Well, that makes sense, simply to prevent vandalism. Otherwise you could have a group of friends get together, one of them make a false change, and the others all go and approve it.

True, OSM doesn't seem to have vandalism issues, although I suspect this is just because it isn't very well known and thus not a target vandals would think of or find attractive. Given the opportunity to vandalize Google Maps, on the other hand... you can be sure there are plenty of idiots out there (*cough*Anonymous*cough*) who would go for that.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

I once caught someone on OSM drawing a fictional town, complete with a couple new freeways, in southern Illinois: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:West_Harrisburg.jpg . There's certainly not much vandalism though.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

citrus

I tried to do the exact opposite - wanted to see if I could get some shields on county routes here (San Diego County, CA). I selected the entirety of CR S2 and changed the identifier from "obscure" to "numbered highway" as "County Route S2". The change was approved last night, but no shields... anyone know something else I can do?

I have successfully realigned a road up in the Santa Cruz Mountains that previously plowed through someone's yard, and that was approved. I think the higher-ups want to approve road changes, but for pedestrian paths (I've edited a couple), they don't care as much and just wait for peer review.

rickmastfan67

Ugh, I just had to deny some person trying to turn the 10th Street Bypass and Bigelow Blvd into Freeways here in Pittsburgh. :pan: :banghead:

NE2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 01, 2011, 02:04:23 AM
Ugh, I just had to deny some person trying to turn the 10th Street Bypass and Bigelow Blvd into Freeways here in Pittsburgh. :pan: :banghead:
Portions could certainly go either way.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on May 01, 2011, 04:06:06 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 01, 2011, 02:04:23 AM
Portions could certainly go either way.

Well, I've been on both segments the person thought were freeways and they aren't.  PennDOT even agrees that they aren't Freeways.

Mr_Northside

Bigelow has sections of city steps & ped crosswalks between downtown and the top of Polish Hill, and access to some park-let (name escapes me) overlooking the cliff & river.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Zmapper

Is there any way to edit a corridor instead of individual blocks? Because there is a road here that Google thinks is 55mph yet is only 30-40 mph. If I have to edit every block one-by-one that would be too tedious.

Also, why is I-80 through Nebraska labeled as Quebec Route 366 on Google Earth? I try to find the problem segment to fix it but I don't see it when I open the edit page up.

Alps

Quote from: Zmapper on May 11, 2011, 09:57:43 PM
Is there any way to edit a corridor instead of individual blocks? Because there is a road here that Google thinks is 55mph yet is only 30-40 mph. If I have to edit every block one-by-one that would be too tedious.

Also, why is I-80 through Nebraska labeled as Quebec Route 366 on Google Earth? I try to find the problem segment to fix it but I don't see it when I open the edit page up.
Tout une partie du plan...

NE2

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on May 12, 2011, 12:42:46 AM
Ceci n'est pas une route.
Non non non, celui-ci, ce n'est pas une route là.

Dr Frankenstein

J'vois pas l'erreur sur la carte ici... :p </French>

english si

We had labeling errors (though not quite like a different countries route being on one of our routes) in the UK - the M25 is called "Autoroute Britannique", and Trafalgar Square was labeled in Welsh - it seems they got them off wikipedia, but didn't check the language first!

vdeane

Well, the correct alignment of Sea Breeze Dr now shows up on google maps, but there's a couple of problems:
-Google never bothered to address the fact that NY 590 ends at Titus Ave
-the old alignment still shows up and has higher priority!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Quote from: NE2 on April 23, 2011, 02:26:20 PM
I once caught someone on OSM drawing a fictional town, complete with a couple new freeways, in southern Illinois: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:West_Harrisburg.jpg . There's certainly not much vandalism though.
I assume that the purple lines represent the freeways there?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2011, 12:19:23 AM
Quote from: Zmapper on May 11, 2011, 09:57:43 PM

Tout une partie du plan...
Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2011, 12:44:33 AM
Non non non, celui-ci, ce n'est pas une route là.
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 12, 2011, 01:11:11 AM
J'vois pas l'erreur sur la carte ici... :p </French>

Bonjour viatologists!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.