News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Dutch Bike Signals

Started by US71, May 20, 2011, 08:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Dutch Bike Signal

(Not my photo: just something I stumbled across)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

Something less than a mile from me.  DC proper has at least 2 (that I know of) and Arlington County has at least 1.

english si

There's one here (you can't see it as it's on red and British rules have it that only the green is shaped).

realjd

Are these used to control a bike lane separate from regular travel lanes and pedestrians?

NE2

I'm confused by the presence of both a red light and a yield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: realjd on May 20, 2011, 03:07:44 PM
Are these used to control a bike lane separate from regular travel lanes and pedestrians?

The bike paths (at least the ones here) appear to be totally separate from regular travel lanes except in instances where they cross.

Zmapper

Is it me or do some of the bike symbols point left and some point right?   :confused:

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on May 20, 2011, 03:10:12 PM

I think the yield is for car traffic to the right of the island while the light is for bike traffic to the left of the island.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on May 20, 2011, 03:10:12 PM

In Europe, they sign a backup sign that comes into effect if the light goes out for a power outage or something.

Brandon

And the critical massholes will still blow through them on red.  :ded:

Seriously though, they are rather neat.  Wouldn't mind seeing them around here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Chris

Almost every traffic signal-controlled intersection in the Netherlands has a separate set of signals for bicyclists.

US71

Quote from: Brandon on May 20, 2011, 11:31:10 PM
And the critical massholes will still blow through them on red.  :ded:

A few might, but it's their funeral...literally

Brandon

^^  Very much so.  A few years ago a driver was proceeding through an intersection on green up on Chicago's north side and hit one of these fools who was involved in a guerrilla bike race on city streets.  With folks like this, I'm starting to wonder if having a license for a bicycle is not a bad idea.  At lease it would make tickets easier to issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

We license motorists because bad driving can cause danger to others.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on May 22, 2011, 03:44:55 PM
We license motorists because bad driving can cause danger to others.

I've been damn near run over, as a pedestrian, by a bicyclist who thought that doing 20mph on the sidewalk, contraflow to traffic, was some kind of a Good Idea.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

It'd be awesome if we could get back on topic and talk about bike signals (and perhaps bike signage, as well) rather than driving behavior. Let's aim for that?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on May 22, 2011, 05:32:10 PM
It'd be awesome if we could get back on topic and talk about bike signals (and perhaps bike signage, as well) rather than driving behavior. Let's aim for that?

fair enough.  you can delete everything starting with "massholes". 

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I don't know if it's possible. Would one expect a thread about NMSL signage to stay away from discussion of the politics of the NMSL? Or a thread about signage of the Perkins Union to stay away from its laws? :)

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on May 22, 2011, 05:33:58 PM
Or a thread about signage of the Perkins Union to stay away from its laws? :)

dude, we both know that discussion of the laws of the Perkins Union is punishable by death.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Fortunately they don't have any extradition treaties.

US71

FWIW: some cities have Pedestrian/Bike Signals that are only a flashing yellow for through traffic and flashing red for Bikes/Pedestrians. Plus they are "push button" signals: they only work if you press the button (not unlike crosswalk signals).

There are some an hour north of me, so I guess I need to check them out one of these days.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on May 22, 2011, 05:42:06 PM
Fortunately they don't have any extradition treaties.

they have no need for them.  once they determine the magnitude of your crime, you are quietly vanished out of our space-time continuum.  this is of course independent of where you may be geographically located when you commit your unthinkable crimes.  

your only hope for perpetuating your criminal mischief is to cleverly position yourself in the space-time continuum into which they send folks. 

jake@aaroads.com

Zmapper

Maybe this thread and the NACTO one should be merged into a more general "Bicycles and Road Design" topic?

Chris

Quote from: realjd on May 20, 2011, 03:07:44 PM

It is quite common to have separate traffic signals for motorized traffic, cyclists and pedestrians, though cyclists and pedestrians usually go within the same phase. In most situations, cyclist traffic signals have priority over other traffic. I know instances where cyclists get a green phase 3 times within one traffic signal cycle. If cyclists cross a road with more than 20 000 vehicles per day or 4 lanes or more, there is usually a cyclist tunnel or bridge.

Cyclist tunnels are a win-win situation. They are safer and faster for cyclists, and motorized traffic gets rid of the cyclist phase, speeding up traffic. I know instances where traffic jams disappeared almost completely once the cyclist phase was removed from an signaled intersection.

NE2

Quote from: Chris on May 23, 2011, 11:32:58 AM
Cyclist tunnels are a win-win situation.
Agreed, if they're designed well (e.g. wide enough, no sharp turns) and don't close at night X-(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.