News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

WisDOT plans viewing

Started by on_wisconsin, July 07, 2011, 02:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinstu

DaBigE

Quote from: colinstu on October 15, 2014, 03:01:29 PM
from that, interesting roundabout going in Burnett county ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2014/11November_11/20141111019plan.pdf

I worked on that one...the airport restrictions made that project interesting.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

on_wisconsin

November (December) 2014 plan sets: ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2014/12December_09/

The first plans for the southern half of the US 12 Baraboo bypass and the STH 67 rebuild near Oconomowoc are the big highlights this month.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

J N Winkler

My script controller pulled in these plans on Monday and the NTC retriever pulled in the NTC yesterday.  I count 32 pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets in all, and the distribution is pretty chunky:  7 sheets from call 20 and 6 sheets each from calls 15 and 16, with other projects having signs having between one to four sheets each.  Quite a few of the signing sheets this month use SignCAD.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DaBigE

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 05, 2014, 12:24:21 PM
Quite a few of the signing sheets this month use SignCAD.

You'll be seeing a lot more SignCAD in the future...eventually 100%. The signing and mapping units are migrating away from MicroStation now as well, and apparently the decision has been made that the signing unit will be moving to SignCAD. Given that SignCAD originates from neighboring Minnesota, I am not totally surprised.

on_wisconsin

Do you know if the SE office will retain their signing unit with this change or will Hill Farms (hopefully) take over?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

DaBigE

While there has been some staffing changes with the Central Office signing group (additions/promotions/reorganizing), as far as I know, there are no plans on merging/disbanding the SE Region signing unit. The SE Region is busy enough to justify their own staff. Along with some personnel changes, the signing unit has moved from Hill Farms to the Truax WisDOT campus.

J N Winkler

I'm resurrecting this thread to note that plans for the US 41 to I-41 conversion (Illinois state line to Green Bay) have been uploaded to the WisDOT server as late additions to the April 14 letting.

*  Russell Road (last exit in Illinois) north to south county line of Dodge County (11201186):

ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2015/04April_14/20150414021plan.pdf

This project includes sheets for small signs in Illinois that are carbon-copied from Standard Highway Signs since Illinois does not use the same standards as Wisconsin.

*  South county line of Dodge County north to I-43 interchange (11330376):

ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2015/04April_14/20150414022plan.pdf

Both of these are pure signing contracts, though they are not sign refurbishments as such since most large panel signs are being amended through overlays and shield or legend removal rather than being replaced outright.  I count about 100 sign panel detail sheets.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mvak36

I'm sure it's already been mentioned. But one of the interesting things I noticed in the signing plans is the wrong-way concurrency of I-41 and I-43. Looks like I-81 and i-77 in VA have company. :bigass:

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 31, 2015, 02:14:04 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread to note that plans for the US 41 to I-41 conversion (Illinois state line to Green Bay) have been uploaded to the WisDOT server as late additions to the April 14 letting.

*  Russell Road (last exit in Illinois) north to south county line of Dodge County (11201186):

ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2015/04April_14/20150414021plan.pdf

This project includes sheets for small signs in Illinois that are carbon-copied from Standard Highway Signs since Illinois does not use the same standards as Wisconsin.

ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2015/04April_14/20150414022plan.pdf

Both of these are pure signing contracts, though they are not sign refurbishments as such since most large panel signs are being amended through overlays and shield or legend removal rather than being replaced outright.  I count about 100 sign panel detail sheets.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

OCGuy81

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 31, 2015, 02:14:04 PM

Great information, thank you for sharing.

A few things that I find pretty interesting.

- Looks like US-41 is hidden when approaching and getting on the freeway.  Most of the new signs show I-41/I-94 shields with US-41 absent.

- The reassurance signs, however, show US-41.

- Is US-41 being routed along I-94 through downtown Milwaukee, while I-41 follows the 894 bypass?

- Wisconsin really likes to sign Alternate Interstate routes, don't they?

Big John

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 02, 2015, 12:14:25 PM

- Is US-41 being routed along I-94 through downtown Milwaukee, while I-41 follows the 894 bypass?

No, US 41 is being rerouted in that area to the I-41 alignment.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Big John on April 02, 2015, 12:29:05 PM

I see that now, thanks.

Curious what will happen to the existing US-41 stretch north of Miller Park?  Extend WI-341?

Big John

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 02, 2015, 12:46:54 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 02, 2015, 12:29:05 PM

I see that now, thanks.

Curious what will happen to the existing US-41 stretch north of Miller Park?  Extend WI-341?
WI 175 is being extended from the north.

OCGuy81

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks, Big John.

That's going to be a mess of new signs to see! I'm in Chicago a few times a year, and might have to drive north to get some pictures.

J N Winkler

Another thread revival, this time for the Zoo Interchange core contract:

ftp://ftp.dot.wi.gov/dtsd/hcci/plansandproposals/2015/09September_29/

WisDOT has been making draft plans available for ages, and the basic design concept (conversion of the existing directional interchange with left exits for left-turning movements to a full Maltese cross stack) has been known for even longer, so there are no huge surprises here.  At 6928 sheets, however, the finished letting plans set beats the Marquette Interchange core contract by a good 2400 sheets and is probably WisDOT's thickest ever.

colinstu

Never heard that term before (maltese cross stack)

will have to check these out when I'm home

Big John

video showing proposed interchange:

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

colinstu

why would you call it that?

SSOWorld

Quote from: colinstu on August 04, 2015, 10:19:15 PM
why would you call it that?
You know the answer to your question.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

colinstu

They're safer than traditional diamonds and aren't hard to navigate once experiencing one.

I don't understand the fear & scare tactics surrounding them.

hobsini2

Frankly, I am disappointed that the new Wis 26 interchange would not be free flowing to allow for the Wis 26 freeway upgrade. I got no issue with DDIs in general but I don't like the choice of one here for future expansion.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2015, 08:53:45 AM
Frankly, I am disappointed that the new Wis 26 interchange would not be free flowing to allow for the Wis 26 freeway upgrade. I got no issue with DDIs in general but I don't like the choice of one here for future expansion.

A free flowing interchange here would be unnecessarily expensive.  There is one light north of this interchange before the freeway begins and it is hardly a hinderance. 

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 06, 2015, 12:31:21 PM
Again, why?

I know the "roadgeek default" is to build the biggest thing possible regardless of cost, but there are not significant traffic back ups at the two lights between I-30/90 and the freeway.  (Earlier I said one...sorry). 

Totally agree. There's no need at all for it - and to say it's then not "Full Freeway" to Janesville is arguing semantics.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 07, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 06, 2015, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2015, 01:03:37 PM
If the intent, which I believe it is by WisDOT, is to have Wis 26 as a freeway from Janesville to at least Waupun, then that kind of movement should happen. Plain and simple. Why put it off if they are going to rebuild the interchange? Just do it at once so you won't go back in 10 years to do it.

Who says that is their intent?  I certainly don't see a cost effective way to bypass Johnson Creek for instance.  Furthermore, as Geek Jedi says, if you are claiming that the WI-26 freeway doesn't go to Janesville, then you are simply arguing semantics.  The freeway ends just south of Milton.  Close enough really.
First of all, are there lights on 26 in Janesville north of 39/90? Yes. Freeways don't have lights. That's not semantics. That's being incomplete for 3 miles. Second, I said if it is their intent which I believe it is. That doesn't mean that is 100% good as gold. That is MY opinion.
Third, You can bypass Johnson Creek to the east by about a mile or so. Not as big a deal as you think it is.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Wis_26_Johnson_Creek_Bypass/GYrufS2SZ_

You said "If the intent, which I believe it is by WisDOT, is to have Wis 26 as a freeway from Janesville to at least Waupun..."

The current WI-26 freeway runs right along the limits of the City of Janesville prior to the light.  It pretty much does what you believe WIDOT's intent is already.

But if their intent is to run the freeway to I-39, why haven't they done so either with the recently completed WI-26 upgrade or (apparently) with the huge I-39/90 project?  They have had opportunities to address this intent, but have chosen not to do so.

Now in the future they may decide to do so if traffic warrants.  But my guess is that they are going to wait until later to determine if it gets to that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.