News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2011 - 2013 Oregon Highway Map (new)

Started by xonhulu, August 03, 2011, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I just picked up this map today, and there are a few changes from the last edition:

- Routes 293, 370, 372, and 380 have been added to the map.  This is interesting, since rte. 370 isn't signed yet on the ground, and 372 isn't even a designated route!  However, these were the four then-unsigned state highways that were mistakenly put on the state hwy map back in the '90's, so maybe someone dusted off that map data.

- The OR 100 shield that was on the Historic Columbia River Hwy in the last edition is now gone.  This may have something to do with the HCRH being signed as "HIST US 30" last year.

- On the Portland inset, the 99W shield on Barbur Blvd north of the jct w/ Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy that was in the last edition is now gone.  There are some differences of opinion on whether or not 99W still goes into downtown, and the evidence is mixed.

- There are a few mistakes of note:

- US 199 is shown on E and F Streets on the Grants Pass inset instead of on the Grants Pass Parkway (I think this was on previous editions).
   - There's an errant 99E shield on OR 22 east of I-5 on the Salem inset
   - Routes 130, 350 and 540 are still on the map despite still not being signed on the ground.

Those are all the differences I noticed.

Bickendan

According to ODOT, OR 99W does not exist at all on Barbur Blvd. It reaches I-5 in Tigard and calls it good.

andytom

The main problem is the difference between OR-99W and the Pacific Hwy West (ODOT-91).

Per the route description, OR-99W has a north end at I-5 in Tigard and does not continue up Barbur Blvd and Naito Pkwy (last changed in DEC 1976).

ODOT still counts the Pacific Hwy West as continuing up Barbur Blvd and Naito Pkwy to Market Street in downtown Portland (the old jct with US-26 and the current east end of the Sunset Hwy) along with the Steel Bridge and the section of Interstate Ave from Denver Ave to I-5 in Delta Park.

nexus73

What map are you talking about Xonhulu and where can one get it?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

Quote from: nexus73 on August 05, 2011, 06:34:32 PM
What map are you talking about Xonhulu and where can one get it?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

I hadn't seen any new ones all summer, and thought they were just going with last year's again, then saw this new edition in the visitor center for John Day Fossil Beds Nat'l. Monument.

You can look at it on ODOT's website:  http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/gis/odotgis.shtml#Oregon_Highway_Map

xonhulu

Quote from: Bickendan on August 03, 2011, 01:11:53 AM
According to ODOT, OR 99W does not exist at all on Barbur Blvd. It reaches I-5 in Tigard and calls it good.

That may be what's on paper, but OR 99W is signed in a number of places north of there, including 3 overheads that I'm pretty sure were emplaced after 1976.  So someone's confused there.

nexus73

Thanks Xonhulu!  I emailed an order in just now.  Hope to see the new map soon!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

Quote from: xonhulu on August 06, 2011, 08:03:25 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on August 03, 2011, 01:11:53 AM

That may be what's on paper, but OR 99W is signed in a number of places north of there, including 3 overheads that I'm pretty sure were emplaced after 1976.  So someone's confused there.
I've seen this myself, but my ODOT source works with the route/hwy routings. From my email to ODOT back when I was compiling the Oregon route data for Clinched Highways Mapping:

Quote from: BickendanFirst of all, where is the northern terminus of OR 99W? The definition found within the route documentation states: "Over the Pacific Highway West from its junction with the Pacific Highway, I-5 [at exit 294], near the north city limits of Tigard", while there are OR 99W shields along SW Barbur Blvd between SW Capitol Hwy (OR 10) and SW Naito Pkwy, implying a northern terminus at the base of the Ross Island Bridge (at US 26). Additionally, the ODOT Bridge Inventory Tag at the top of the NW Glisan St ramp on the Steel Bridge has '99W' on the 'Route' field. This suggest that OR 99W continues along Naito Pkwy to at least the Steel Bridge -- does it still continue along N Interstate Avenue to I-5 near Delta Park?
Quote from: Steven Reed, ODOT1.)  OR99W in Portland:
For now, the north end of OR99W, as indicated below, is at the North Tigard Interchange, Exit 294.

xonhulu

That might be why that 99W symbol was removed from the state highway map north of there.  But the Routes map on ODOT's website, which says it was last  updated in 2009, still shows 99W on Barbur, which might explain why the state map cartographers are confused.  Hence why I said the sources were muddled.  However, I would tend to trust your contact, and that's certainly the logical place to end 99W.

But there does seem to be some level of miscommunication within ODOT.  Remember, they are also showing OR 372 on the new map, and as far as we know that's not even a state route!  And we've seen other examples of Route/Highway number confusion before.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.