News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maine

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Quote from: cl94 on March 26, 2016, 10:04:26 PM
Space constraints. Service plazas only have room for one or the other. Much smaller than the typical plaza in other states. Take a look for yourself.
Off-topic: October 2015 imagery, huh? Looks like this image was taken on either the 4th or the 6th.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

billpa

Quote from: billpa on March 26, 2016, 03:20:32 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 22, 2016, 12:13:05 PM
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/03/21/maine-turnpike-bets-on-fast-food-between-portland-and-lewiston/

Starbucks getting swapped out with Burger King for the Turnpike rest areas north of Portland, starting next week.

QuoteThe rest stops at Mile 58 southbound in Cumberland and Mile 59 northbound in Gray will close Monday for nine weeks so the two Starbucks can be turned back into Burger Kings.
Why not have both?

SM-T230NU

Space constraints. Service plazas only have room for one or the other. Much smaller than the typical plaza in other states. Take a look for yourself.
I read the linked article after I made my comment.  Should've done it the other way around.
I was just surprised because these types of facilities can usually squeeze in another franchise in a very small space, like when you see a DD in a gas station.

HTC6525LVW

cl94

Quote from: billpa on March 27, 2016, 04:40:46 AM
Quote from: billpa on March 26, 2016, 03:20:32 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 22, 2016, 12:13:05 PM
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/03/21/maine-turnpike-bets-on-fast-food-between-portland-and-lewiston/

Starbucks getting swapped out with Burger King for the Turnpike rest areas north of Portland, starting next week.

QuoteThe rest stops at Mile 58 southbound in Cumberland and Mile 59 northbound in Gray will close Monday for nine weeks so the two Starbucks can be turned back into Burger Kings.
Why not have both?

SM-T230NU

I read the linked article after I made my comment.  Should've done it the other way around.
I was just surprised because these types of facilities can usually squeeze in another franchise in a very small space, like when you see a DD in a gas station.

HTC6525LVW

DD doesn't bake anything onsite, so their locations can be tiny. Same with Starbucks. Burger King requires a full kitchen that probably takes up all of the available space. If the demand is there, they could probably figure out a "Starbucks Express" format where only the coffee is sold, as is done in many locations with little space.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

The Ghostbuster

Does the 395 extension have a construction date yet? And might the people in the story be politically powerful enough to kill the extension?

froggie

If what was discussed in the article holds true, sounds like MaineDOT could have done a better job at public information with the project.  That said, the complaints from those directly or semi-directly affected aren't surprising.

Not sure of the necessity of that loop ramp in the SW quadrant at 395/ALT 1.  Seems they could eliminate that loop, pare down the ramp from "EB" ALT 1 to WB 395, and save some money and impacts to the health center.

But given the number of homes along both sides of Route 9 in Eddington, I'm not convinced that the selected route was the right choice.

yakra

I would think that the one existing loop ramp should be fine.

Ian

Looks like the diverging diamond interchange is coming to Maine at I-95 exit 187 (Hogan Road) in Bangor...

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/06/09/news/bangor/plan-for-unusual-i-95-hogan-road-exit-finds-early-support/
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/07/12/widening-of-maine-turnpike-wont-require-borrowing-toll-increases/

Talk about financing a future Turnpike widening project, which would be from Scarborough north towards Falmouth.

cl94

Taking a little vacation in Maine to sightsee and clinch I-95 and I noticed a few things:

- I love the variable speed limit signs MaineDOT and MTA use
- There's still a lot of LeHay around
- Like that many exits have advances before 1 mile
- Speed limits are generally much higher than I'm used to and I don't only mean 70-75. The bump up to 70 on I-295 immediately north of downtown Portland was surprising.

From what I've seen, expressways are quite well-maintained. Kudos to Maine.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

ixnay

Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2016, 11:39:17 AM
Taking a little vacation in Maine to sightsee and clinch I-95 and I noticed a few things:

LeHay???? Please explain.  I've been to Maine a total of three times in my almost 55 years (once as a destination, twice on my way to the Maritimes). :)

ixnay

hotdogPi

Quote from: ixnay on August 09, 2016, 07:21:28 PM

LeHay???? Please explain.  I've been to Maine a total of three times in my almost 55 years (once as a destination, twice on my way to the Maritimes). :)

ixnay

LeHay is a font that used to be used in Maine.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

cl94

Quote from: 1 on August 09, 2016, 07:25:20 PM
Quote from: ixnay on August 09, 2016, 07:21:28 PM

ixnay

LeHay is a font that used to be used in Maine.

It was used in a few other states, New York being one of them. Elsewhere on the forums, it was mentioned that the original 65 signs in New York were LeHay (many of these never were installed due to the double nickel). I have seen it in a couple spots elsewhere in the northeast, but nowhere as often as I have been seeing it in Maine.

ixnay

I thought "a lot of LeHay" was a subtle reference to something/someone "uniquely Maine".

ixnay

froggie

Just back from a few days in Midcoast Maine.  A couple things of note:

- Construction has begun on a traffic signal in Wiscasset at the US 1/ME 27 North junction.  So far, pedestrian signal heads have been installed.

- Boothbay has an initiative on the November ballot which would provide for construction of a roundabout on ME 27 in the vicinity of the town common, near Corey Ln/Back River Rd.  As far as I can tell from a Google search of news articles, the roundabout is related to a proposed redevelopment of the area.

Ian

Quote from: ixnay on August 10, 2016, 07:21:15 AM
I thought "a lot of LeHay" was a subtle reference to something/someone "uniquely Maine".

ixnay

Just noticing this post, but LeHay was a "uniquely Maine" font, as it was only used in Maine (it was created by someone who worked for the DOT). Other states, like New York or Massachusetts, used a similar font to it, but they weren't quite the same.
Youtube l Flickr

KEVIN_224

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/10/05/critics-spar-with-turnpike-officials-over-york-toll-plaza-plan/

More of the locals fighting with the Maine Turnpike fighting with locals in York about the replacement Turnpike toll plaza. Included are the Turnpike directors reasoning for not going with AET/ORT tolling:

The turnpike collected $128.2 million in tolls in 2015, and $39 million, about 30.5 percent, was in cash. The York tolls account for 40 percent of the turnpike's total cash receipts. Converting to all-electronic collection system would put about $15.5 million a year at risk because some states and Canadian provinces will not identify license plates, allowing some drivers to use the road for free, according to the authority. Other states, including Massachusetts, have had trouble collecting fares from delinquent drivers at its electronic tolls, Mills said.

Added administrative costs and lost revenue would force the authority to double the current toll to $6, which would lead some drivers to use secondary roads and add to local traffic, according to the authority.

Cut-and-pasted some of the article, since it's behind a 10-free-articles-a-month pay window.

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/bath-brunswick/mdot-begins-work-to-replaced-bath-viaduct/333400671

Work to replace the US Route 1 viaduct in Bath, ME started at midnight Eastern on Tuesday morning. Several months ago, a car crashed through a guardrail and crashed onto a vehicle below.

What makes this one incredible? They want to try to get it all replaced in about 8 months!

Marf

Maine's first SPUI at Exit 80 in Lewiston is opening tomorrow. MDOT has recently been airing radio ads about  the interchange.

Drivers prespective: https://youtu.be/5t0UyJ3lvJE
Source: http://www.wcsh6.com/traffic/maine-turnpike-makes-major-change-to-exit-80/333929086
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

KEVIN_224

http://wgme.com/news/local/new-interchange-construction-begins-on-maine-turnpike

This was the same report from WGME-TV (CBS) channel 13. It'll be Maine's first SPUI interchange. I think this is the same state that has a lone diverging diamond interchange. I want to say it's with Hogan Road in Bangor.

Ian

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 13, 2016, 09:01:24 AM
I think this is the same state that has a lone diverging diamond interchange. I want to say it's with Hogan Road in Bangor.

Not yet, it's still a standard diamond. But apparently, plans are in the works to change that.

http://maine.gov/mdot/projects/bangor/ddi/
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

The project powerpoint suggests construction won't occur until 2018-19 at the earliest.  Gotta wonder if the proposed DDI in Freeport will happen before then.

cl94

It's not like Maine has much traffic to deal with. That being said, Hogan Rd is a great spot for a DDI. I stayed at the Hilton near that exit when clinching I-95 this summer and the area is quite bad by Maine standards.

froggie

Compared to New York, no.  But you'd be surprised, otherwise...

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/travel/route-1a-still-a-safety-concern-for-drivers/336223910

A quick story about US Route 1A while on the way to Brewer and safety concerns...conflicting reports about the number of crashes, etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.