News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Peoria, IL eastern bypass study down to six corridors

Started by Revive 755, September 21, 2011, 09:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

Personally, I would like the bypass to go directly from 474 near Morton to IL-6, providing for a full beltway. That being said, I don't see what the need for an eastern bypass would be. Traffic counts surely couldn't be that high; the existing 474 would be shorter and there aren't any really big cities north of Peoria.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Rick Powell

Quote from: pianocello on September 23, 2011, 07:15:52 PM
Personally, I would like the bypass to go directly from 474 near Morton to IL-6, providing for a full beltway. That being said, I don't see what the need for an eastern bypass would be. Traffic counts surely couldn't be that high; the existing 474 would be shorter and there aren't any really big cities north of Peoria.

My daughter would've used the bypass when she was going to school on the n. side of Peoria, coming from east side of river.  There's a Cat plant in Mossville; the bypass would connect up Cat in Morton and Mossville nicely.  I think you'd be surprised - maybe not 30,000 vehicles a day, but at least half that would utilize the river crossing alone.

Revive 755

Maybe IDOT D4 needs to look at just a new bridge then, but with a protected corridor for the route when/if Peoria begins booming eastward like Blormal has.  Starting IL 336 westward from I-474 and the IL 29 expressway seem like better options for economic development and improving mobility over the eastern bypass.

For some reason all these Peoria routes get studied and restudied and never get built.
The costs on this bypass would be huge. I would think tolls would have to be part of it. Cost killed it last time. I just have a hunch these Peoria projects are going the way of US 20-IDOT Limbo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.