Interchanges between Conventional Roads

Started by vtk, October 09, 2011, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 03, 2012, 01:27:30 PM
Note: Expressways in Santa Clara County are considered conventional roads as they have at-grade intersections often controlled by signals and have lower speed limits (35-50 MPH).
Quote from: vtk on October 09, 2011, 04:23:32 PM
This thread should be a showcase of all those oddball, isolated interchanges that don't involve freeways or expressways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on April 03, 2012, 01:38:32 PM
Note: Expressways in Santa Clara County are considered conventional roads as they have at-grade intersections often controlled by signals and have lower speed limits (35-50 MPH).
Quote from: vtk on October 09, 2011, 04:23:32 PM
This thread should be a showcase of all those oddball, isolated interchanges that don't involve freeways or expressways.
So what's your point?  I did note in my post that expressways in Santa Clara County are more like conventional roads than limited access freeways.  Remember, expressways and freeways are not equal nationwide.  They may be in some states but not in others (like California).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NE2

Expressways in Santa Clara County are definitely expressways in the sense that they have a mix of intersections and interchanges. In other words, they're expected to have interchanges, so listing those interchanges is pointless, even if one thinks listing interchanges on conventional roads has a point.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on April 03, 2012, 01:52:47 PM
Expressways in Santa Clara County are definitely expressways in the sense that they have a mix of intersections and interchanges. In other words, they're expected to have interchanges, so listing those interchanges is pointless, even if one thinks listing interchanges on conventional roads has a point.
So you would consider Lawrence Expwy in Santa Clara county equal to the Dan Ryan Expwy in Chicago? Lawrence has signal lights at at-grade intersections while the Dan Ryan is an interstate!  I guess this really boils down to is what's VTK's definition of an "expressway".
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kphoger

I took 'conventional roads' to mean something that is neither and expressway nor a freeway.  Otherwise, there's nothing really exceptional about an interchange being there.  :fight:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 03, 2012, 01:59:24 PM
So you would consider Lawrence Expwy in Santa Clara county equal to the Dan Ryan Expwy in Chicago? Lawrence has signal lights at at-grade intersections while the Dan Ryan is an interstate!  I guess this really boils down to is what's VTK's definition of an "expressway".
The Dan Ryan is a freeway.

KEK Inc.

Evergreen Rd. & Blandford Dr.  (Vancouver, WA)  - http://g.co/maps/5nwrh

CA-152 and Casa de Fruta is a stretch...  That's like saying US-101 and any exit north of Santa Rosa pretty much.
Take the road less traveled.

kphoger

This one confuses me every time I look at it:
http://g.co/maps/eqcq2
Jct 18/330 in Running Springs, CA
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on April 03, 2012, 05:09:16 PM
but isn't its official name the Dan Ryan Expressway?  At any rate to make you happy here's my revised list...

* Lawrence Expwy & Stevens Creek Blvd (Santa Clara)
* Lawrence Expwy & El Camino Real (Santa Clara)
* Lawrence Expwy & Central Expwy (Sunnyvale)
* Central Expwy & San Antonio Road (Palo Alto)
* Central Expwy & Shoreline Blvd (Mountain View)
* Central Expwy & Middlefield Road (Sunnyvale)
* Central Expwy & Mathilda Avenue (Sunnyvale)
* Central Expwy & Fair Oaks Blvd (Sunnyvale)
* Central Expwy & Wolfe Road (Sunnyvale)
* Central Expwy & San Tomas Expwy (Santa Clara)
* San Tomas Expwy & Winchester Blvd (Campbell)
* Montague Expwy & Lafayette Street (San Jose)
* Page Mill Road & Alma Ave (Palo Alto)
* El Camino Real & University Ave (Palo Alto/Stanford)
* Almaden Expwy & Curtner Ave (San Jose)
* Almaden Expwy & Lincoln Ave (San Jose)
* Almaden Expwy & Hillsdale Ave (San Jose)
* Foothill Expwy & Fremont Ave/Miramonte Ave (Los Altos)
* Route 152 & Route 156 (east of Gilroy)
* Route 152 & Casa De Fruta Pkwy - upon further reflection, I agree with KEK on this one.

and I'll add these...
* El Camino Real and Hillsdale Avenue (Hillsdale)
* Route 108 and Mono Way (East Sonora)
* Route 108 and N Hess Ave (East Sonora)

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 03, 2012, 05:14:23 PM
CA-152 and Casa de Fruta is a stretch...  That's like saying US-101 and any exit north of Santa Rosa pretty much.

Excuse me, but what do you mean by this?

kphoger

Ogden & Route 53 in Lisle, IL:
http://g.co/maps/7n4t8

Roosevelt & Route 59 in West Chicago, IL:
http://g.co/maps/5ke7m

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 03, 2012, 05:24:26 PM
but isn't its official name the Dan Ryan Expressway?  At any rate to make you happy here's my revised list...

* Lawrence Expwy & Stevens Creek Blvd (Santa Clara) - NE2 says no
* Lawrence Expwy & El Camino Real (Santa Clara) - NE2 says no
* Lawrence Expwy & Central Expwy (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & San Antonio Road (Palo Alto) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Shoreline Blvd (Mountain View) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Middlefield Road (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Mathilda Avenue (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Fair Oaks Blvd (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Wolfe Road (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & San Tomas Expwy (Santa Clara) - NE2 says no
* San Tomas Expwy & Winchester Blvd (Campbell) - NE2 says no
* Montague Expwy & Lafayette Street (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Almaden Expwy & Curtner Ave (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Almaden Expwy & Lincoln Ave (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Almaden Expwy & Hillsdale Ave (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Foothill Expwy & Fremont Ave/Miramonte Ave (Los Altos) - NE2 says no
* Route 152 & Casa De Fruta Pkwy - upon further reflection, I agree with KEK on this one.

and I'll add this one...

The name of a road doesn't determine what its type is.  You could call I-80 'America Street', but that wouldn't make it less of a freeway.  You could call the street I live on 'Freeway 109', but that wouldn't make it one.
Male pronouns, please.

myosh_tino

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2012, 05:32:01 PM
The name of a road doesn't determine what its type is.  You could call I-80 'America Street', but that wouldn't make it less of a freeway.  You could call the street I live on 'Freeway 109', but that wouldn't make it one.
That varies from state-to-state or country-to-country.  In California, freeways and expressways have different legal definitions and I don't think it's legal to name a city street a "freeway" unless certain requirements are met.  Other states consider freeways and expressways the same type of road.

kphoger

California may consider things to be such and such, as may Europe (let's hop over to SkyscraperCity for those discussions), but web forums tend to use generally accepted U.S. terminology, by which an expressway is a four-lane highway with at least some at-grade intersections and/or entries/exits, designed for moderate- to high-speed travel.

Once again, though....this is beside the point of the thread.  Expressways and freeways are places one would expect to find interchanges.  How about examples from more minor roads?
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

Page Mill is an expressway here.

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2012, 05:32:01 PM
but isn't its official name the Dan Ryan Expressway?  At any rate to make you happy here's my revised list...

* Lawrence Expwy & Stevens Creek Blvd (Santa Clara) - NE2 says no
* Lawrence Expwy & El Camino Real (Santa Clara) - NE2 says no
* Lawrence Expwy & Central Expwy (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & San Antonio Road (Palo Alto) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Shoreline Blvd (Mountain View) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Middlefield Road (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Mathilda Avenue (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Fair Oaks Blvd (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & Wolfe Road (Sunnyvale) - NE2 says no
* Central Expwy & San Tomas Expwy (Santa Clara) - NE2 says no
* San Tomas Expwy & Winchester Blvd (Campbell) - NE2 says no
* Montague Expwy & Lafayette Street (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Almaden Expwy & Curtner Ave (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Almaden Expwy & Lincoln Ave (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Almaden Expwy & Hillsdale Ave (San Jose) - NE2 says no
* Foothill Expwy & Fremont Ave/Miramonte Ave (Los Altos) - NE2 says no

and I'll add this one...

The name of a road doesn't determine what its type is.  You could call I-80 'America Street', but that wouldn't make it less of a freeway.  You could call the street I live on 'Freeway 109', but that wouldn't make it one.
KP, you're half right. For instance, in Wisconsin, expressway and freeway have very specific meanings. Expressways have a mix of interchanges and at grade intersections. For example, US 12 around Madison is a freeway but US 12 near Baraboo is considered an expressway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

KEK Inc.

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 03, 2012, 05:25:09 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 03, 2012, 05:14:23 PM
CA-152 and Casa de Fruta is a stretch...  That's like saying US-101 and any exit north of Santa Rosa pretty much.

Excuse me, but what do you mean by this?
Much of US-101 north of Santa Rosa isn't technically a freeway, but it has interchanges much like CA-152 does at Casa de Fruta.  I don't really consider it much of a 'conventional' road, but I'm not sure what the OP's intent of 'conventional' was. 

Take the road less traveled.

pianocello

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2012, 05:30:34 PM

Not quite sure about that one. The exit ramps look like they function as surface streets (complete with names!) that end at Roosevelt at RIROs.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Kacie Jane

Quote from: pianocello on April 04, 2012, 09:13:37 PM

Not quite sure about that one. The exit ramps look like they function as surface streets (complete with names!) that end at Roosevelt at RIROs.

It's an odd duck, to be sure, but I'd definitely count it.  NY 59 & NY 303 meet with similar "street-ramps".

empirestate

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 04, 2012, 10:22:50 PM

It's an odd duck, to be sure, but I'd definitely count it.  NY 59 & NY 303 meet with similar "street-ramps".

I wouldn't even call it all that odd...there are oodles of junctions like this elsewhere downstate, on Long Island, and in the Buffalo area, just in New York alone.

vtk

Note: Expressways in Santa Clara County are considered conventional roads as they have at-grade intersections often controlled by signals and have lower speed limits (35-50 MPH).  Both routes 152 and 156 are conventional two lane highways.  Once the two routes come together, Route 152 east of the interchange is a 4-lane expressway.

Sounds like a bit of an edge case. Other factors to consider: direct private access (yes/RIRO/none), predominant guide signage type (MUTCD chapter 2D or 2E), breakdown lanes, clear zones...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

myosh_tino

Quote from: vtk on April 06, 2012, 11:30:00 AM
Sounds like a bit of an edge case. Other factors to consider: direct private access (yes/RIRO/none), predominant guide signage type (MUTCD chapter 2D or 2E), breakdown lanes, clear zones...
Hmmm...

Direct Private Access... yes (variety of direct and RIRO)
Guide Signage Type... definitely not Chapter 2E (more like conventional road signage)
Breakdown Lanes... no
Clear Zones... no

kphoger

This used to be my neck of the woods.  Geez, that was like eight years ago....I feel old....  Anyway, they certainly function as ramps.  Roosevelt and Route 59 are major highways through there, and–believe me–most traffic on those 'streets' is going between the two.
Male pronouns, please.

WNYroadgeek

NY 104/Monroe CR 150: http://g.co/maps/8dufk

empirestate

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on April 20, 2012, 12:33:22 AM
NY 104/Monroe CR 150: http://g.co/maps/8dufk

Actually, that's not CR 150 at that point, it's reference route 940K (better known as Mt. Read Blvd.).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.