News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Breezewood-type situations

Started by ftballfan, October 19, 2011, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

I'm sure everyone on here has heard of Breezewood (PA), but I can think of at least one city that acts like Breezewood.

Grand Haven is the closest thing to one in MI. Coming in from Muskegon, US-31 goes from a 70 mph freeway to 30 mph clogged boulevard in less than a mile. On the other side of Grand Haven, US-31 becomes a 55 mph rural divided highway where everyone routinely hits 70.

agentsteel53

San Francisco on US-101 is the main example I can think of.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

There was one in Wausau, WI where WIS 29 met US 51, but that's been fixed now.

US 18 and 151 in SW Madison is a good example of one that still exists.  There in study phase for a tiered upgrade to full freeway.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

Eastbound US-90 in Dayton, Texas

apeman33

Fort Scott, Kansas, could be on its way to becoming the same sort of thing. Right now, the only traffic lights on U.S. 69 between Shawnee Mission Parkway and K-47 (about 120 miles) are all in Fort Scott. Five of them.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mukade

It certainly appears that the connection between I-69 and SR 37 (future I-69) in Monroe County, Indiana will be a mess for a while. That connection, SR 45, is a windy and hilly two lane road. As things appear now, I-69 will end at the Greene-Monroe County line unless or until the local MPO agrees to add I-69 to its plan.

Brandon

Current east end of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway at I-290.  The freeway ends at Rohlwing Rd (IL-53) just west of I-290 and traffic has to go through 2 signals between the EOE and I-290.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: apeman33 on October 20, 2011, 03:18:52 AM
Fort Scott, Kansas, could be on its way to becoming the same sort of thing. Right now, the only traffic lights on U.S. 69 between Shawnee Mission Parkway and K-47 (about 120 miles) are all in Fort Scott. Five of them.
Similar situation to the MO 7 and MO 13 expressways where 3 traffic lights in Clinton are the only stops between Kansas City and Springfield.

mgk920

Quote from: Master son on October 19, 2011, 11:55:07 PM
There was one in Wausau, WI where WIS 29 met US 51, but that's been fixed now.

US 18 and 151 in SW Madison is a good example of one that still exists.  There in study phase for a tiered upgrade to full freeway.

The way that things are looking, the I-94/WI 29 'Elk Mound' interchange, near Elk Mound, WI, may be like that when all is done.

:banghead:

Mike

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 19, 2011, 10:57:39 PM
San Francisco on US-101 is the main example I can think of.

Would Route 99 in Yuba City and Route 70 in Marysville fall under the same category?
Chris Sampang

triplemultiplex

The PA Turnpike has plenty of other 'Breezewoods' other than the famous one.  US 219, I-99, I-81...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 20, 2011, 06:20:15 PM
The PA Turnpike has plenty of other 'Breezewoods' other than the famous one.  US 219, I-99, I-81...

Difference is that in those cases you're going from one route to another via a surface street, whereas in Breezewood I-70 itself uses that street through the traffic light. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

PA Turnpike-I-95 intersection...to get onto the turnpike from 95 one has to either exit onto PA 413 and take US13 to the turnpike bridge, to continue on 95 itself without looping around trenton and taking 195. Or exiting onto US1 and getting on the turnpike itself that way.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Revive 755

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on October 20, 2011, 03:31:42 PM
Similar situation to the MO 7 and MO 13 expressways where 3 traffic lights in Clinton are the only stops between Kansas City and Springfield.

Nitpick:  You forgot the stop sign for the Kansas City to Springfield direction at the US 71 interchange with MO 13:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.61739,-94.349363&spn=0.007083,0.016512&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=38.61739,-94.349363&panoid=QJr2KY8Xr2bX0FubZO2OKg&cbp=12,346.44,,0,2.05

You could also count the lights on 71/Watkins around KC or the lights on MO 13 near I-44.

Ian

If it counts, the Garden State Parkway in Cape May Court House (exits 9-11) acts sort of like a boulevard. Exits 9-11 are at-grade with traffic signals.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael in Philly

I-78 approaching the Holland Tunnel.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

vtk

Not quite like Breezewood but in line with some other examples in this thread: US 33 in Nelsonville, OH.  It's the only non-expressway portion* of US 33 between Columbus and the WV state line.  Bypass currently under construction; I'm unsure when it's going to open. (*Unless you count the junction with OH 124 & OH 833, where US 33 exits itself onto another expressway – which is kind of like half a Breezewood I guess...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on October 21, 2011, 12:06:13 AM
Not quite like Breezewood but in line with some other examples in this thread: US 33 in Nelsonville, OH.  It's the only non-expressway portion* of US 33 between Columbus and the WV state line.  Bypass currently under construction; I'm unsure when it's going to open. (*Unless you count the junction with OH 124 & OH 833, where US 33 exits itself onto another expressway — which is kind of like half a Breezewood I guess…)

You do know that the sections of US 33 from Athens to Darwin and from (west of) Pomeroy to Ravenswood are just two lane roads.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 21, 2011, 01:09:54 AM
Quote from: vtk on October 21, 2011, 12:06:13 AM
Not quite like Breezewood but in line with some other examples in this thread: US 33 in Nelsonville, OH.  It's the only non-expressway portion* of US 33 between Columbus and the WV state line.  Bypass currently under construction; I'm unsure when it's going to open. (*Unless you count the junction with OH 124 & OH 833, where US 33 exits itself onto another expressway — which is kind of like half a Breezewood I guess…)

You do know that the sections of US 33 from Athens to Darwin and from (west of) Pomeroy to Ravenswood are just two lane roads.

Two-lane expressways, yes I know.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jdb1234

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 20, 2011, 06:20:15 PM
The PA Turnpike has plenty of other 'Breezewoods' other than the famous one.  US 219, I-99, I-81...

And I remember taking a roundabout way to reach the US 219 freeway only for it to end nearly where I started.

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 21, 2011, 01:09:54 AM

Some maps erroneously show the Pomeroy-to-Ravenswood section as four lanes. I think they may have graded a four-lane ROW but just paved two lanes initially. It's been awhile since I have been there and my plans to drive it again en route to the Wheeling meet got scrapped when I had to cancel out on Wheeling.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

pianocello

The US-61 "bypass" of Muscatine, IA is kind of like this situation, but there probably isn't very much thru traffic.
Similarly, US-61/151/52 and US-20 in Dubuque are good examples of this.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 21, 2011, 10:36:01 PM
Merced, CA on CA 99.

I disagree with this.  there are no places where the mainline has to come to a stop because of a traffic light.  there have not been any traffic lights on CA-99 between Wheeler Ridge and Sacramento since 2002.

just north of Atwater is another place where the freeway drops to expressway status and there are some at-grade left turns... but I do not consider this to be the "Breezewood" situation because I know that I, as mainline traffic, have maintained a steady 75-80mph through that section of road without any need to stop.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.