Road provisions/built for future use...that actually became a reality

Started by Mergingtraffic, November 20, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Any cases where a road was built wider or had provisions to accomodate for future widening or capacity levels and then you were actually able to see the provisions in use?

An example would be:  I-95 in East Haven, CT was 4-lanes but a bridge was built for 6 lanes for future capacity.  The highway was widened in 2003 and now that bridge carries 6-lanes.

or

US-7 expressway in Brookfield, CT had a temp end at a half diamond interchange but provisions for the highway to continue, such as rock blasting for future ramps for the other side of the diamond and an overpass.  In 2009, the expressway was extended and now it's a full diamond.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

hbelkins

I'm having a Rick Perry moment, but there are some spots in Kentucky where a new road was built with two lanes, but right of way was graded for two more lanes, and then they were added later. Just not able to think of them right now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

txstateends

One I know of, TX 360 between TX 183 and TX 121 along the west side of DFW Airport.  This part of TX 360 was a later part after an existing portion south of TX 183.  When originally built, only the service roads were put in, except at the Mid-Cities Blvd. exit, when main lanes were also put in at the same time as the service roads.  With this setup, it allowed space for future main lanes.  According to http://www.dfwfreeways.info/pages/highwayInfo/highwayInfoHome.aspx?highway=360 , the service roads and the Mid-Cities exit opened in 1992, followed in 2005-2006 by the main lanes.

The same thing is being done for the TX 161/Bush Turnpike extension through Grand Prairie.  Service roads from just north of I-30 down to the new south terminus at I-20 were built first a few years ago, now work is underway to start on main lane placement, most notably with new direct ramps at the I-20 interchange.  That part just suffered a setback this past week when a crane at the worksite collapsed, severely damaging a segment of one of the higher ramps.  This required extra detours and a long unscheduled cleanup; it's unknown how much this delays the project.

Other TX projects have done the service-roads-first-then-the-main-lanes-later thing, including, for example, the TX 121 bypass of Lewisville.

When US 75 was widened/modernized north of I-635 several years ago, extra space was set aside in the middle, for either new future main lanes or possible HOV lanes.  They have since been taken in for HOV lanes.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

xcellntbuy

Many of the overpasses on Interstate 95 between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach, Florida were rebuilt and widened to accomodate a third lane in each direction 10 years ago.  Today, the entire route in that area is six lanes wide.

Much of the same overpass work has been done on the Florida's Turnpike between Exit 75 (Boca Raton) and Exit 116 (Jupiter) in preparation to widen the Turnpike from four lanes to six.  Part of this section, at least from Exit 75 to Toll Plaza 88 where the ticket system begins, has already been widened to six lanes.  The Turnpike overpass just south of Exit 97 (US 98) is particularly wide and may even accomodate eight lanes of carriageway.

J N Winkler

It would be interesting to subdivide these examples of future provision into two categories:

*  Those where the added capacity was provided exactly as shown in the original construction plans

*  Those where the capacity was added but in a manner different from that originally visualized (often requiring some reconstruction, including regrading, of the original highway facility)

I know of no examples of the former, though I am familiar with numerous examples of the latter.  In Kansas, for example, US 69 around Pleasanton was built as a Super Two freeway in the 1970's with provision for later addition of the second carriageway, but when it was built shortly after 2003, the original carriageway was reconstructed and the new carriageway was built on an alignment slightly different from that envisioned in the 1970's.  To quote another example, this time from Ohio, the actual built configuration for the I-271 local/express lanes (finished in the 1990's) does not quite match the "ultimate configuration" as shown in the 1970's construction plans for the project that built what are now the local lanes.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JREwing78

WI-26 around Fort Atkinson, formerly super-2 with overpasses built to accomodate up to 3 lanes each way. The new SBD carraigeway was built over the past year or two.

qguy

PA 26, Bellefonte, PA. From I-80 to near PA 64. Originally built as a super-2,completed  in 1972. The unbuilt southbound side was built out in 1997, pretty much as originally envisioned, ahead of 1-99 being constructed to the "near PA 64" end.

PA 147, Milton, PA. From I-80 to just south of PA 45. Originally built as a super-2, completed in 1971. Northbound side built 2004, again, pretty much as originally envisioned.

PA 581, west shore of Harrisburg area, PA. From I-81 to US 11. A directional T interchange was built on I-81 when the freeway was constructed in this area in 1976. PA 581 was completed from the interchange stub-end in 1996, just about as originally envisioned.

dfilpus

US 1 from Sanford to Raleigh NC was constructed as a Super-2 in stages from 1960 to 1975. The interchanges were built as full freeway interchanges. In the 1990's, the southbound carriageway was built in stages with minimal interchange work.

Brandon

I-355 from I-55 to 63rd St, and from Butterfield Rd to North Ave.  Originally built for 4 lanes with provision for 6 lanes.  Widened 2 years after building to 6 lanes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Mexico federal route 2 just west of Mexicali to La Rumorosa mountain pass is in the process of being converted from a super-2 to a full four-lane dual carriageway ... some overpasses were completely built years ago in anticipation of this, and only the second carriageway needs to be built.  Other overpasses have been only half-built and need to be revised.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kurumi

The I-291 interchange at I-84 in Farmington, CT: built 1969, not used until CT 9 was extended there in 1992. In the interim, proposals for reuse included converting it into a regional transit hub with parking for 2,000 cars (1974).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Zmapper

The I-25 bridge over Colorado State Route 119 was built for 6 lanes pre-2000 I think. I-25 was 6-laned fully in that area in 2009.

qguy

I continue...

US 15, Gettysburg, PA. From the MD state line to PA 94. Completed as a super-2 with full interchanges in 1963, the full buildout was completed, much as originally envisioned, in 1989.

US 15, Buttonwood, PA. From PA 184 to the Sebring interchange. Completed as a super-2 in 1976, the full buildout was completed, much as originally envisioned, in 1998.

US 15, Mansfield, PA. Mansfield Bypass, from PA 660 to PA 287. Completed as a super-2 in 1987, the full buildout was completed, much as originally envisioned, in 2003.

The astute (and even not-so-astute) reader will detect a certain theme here. PennDOT (and it's predeceasor, the PA Dept of Highways) had a fondness for initially constructing super-2s and building them out later.

One project not this category is I-476, through the western suburbs of the Philadelphia area. Known locally as The Blue Route (the name being derived from the color of the selected alternate's line on planning maps released to the public), parts of it were constructed long before the entire facility was completed. One section, from approximately Darby Rd. to Sproul Rd., sat unused and unconnected to any interchange for 21 years. Locals used to fly their model airplanes from it. This segment was shy of PA 3 at its southern end and US 30 at its northern end. (The highway didn't reach these routes and interchanges were not built.) This unused, unconnected section was built in 1970 and finally opened to traffic in 1991 when the entire freeway was completed, interchanges and all.

(Thanks to PAHighways for providing specific dates.)

1995hoo

Following the OP's example of citing a stub end where a road was later extended:

I-66 was always planned to run all the way into DC but when it opened in 1964 it ended at the Beltway with some stubs left as provisions for the planned extension. The Dulles Airport Access Road similarly ended at VA-123 with a stub (in a similar configuration to a few other roads that stub-end with a cloverleaf loop ramp departing to the right). After years of protests and delays, I-66 inside the Beltway was finally constructed in the late 1970s/early 1980s and opened less than a week before Christmas in 1982. The Dulles Access Road was similarly extended from VA-123 to the new portion I-66 and opened sometime in 1985 (today local traffic reporters sometimes call this short extension segment the Dulles Connector Road).

For an example of a provision for future use that was later turned into a highway but not in the anticipated way, there's the southern end of I-295 in Maryland. It stub-ended at the Beltway instead of continuing south through PG County. Later that stub-end was changed to connect the road to the nearby MD-210 via a short freeway connection to alleviate congestion caused by traffic heading between those two routes having to merge onto the Beltway for such a short stretch. So it wasn't the originally-intended design for the end of I-295, and it was later further modified by the Wilson Bridge reconstruction and the ongoing construction of the National Harbor development just south of there, but the stub provisions were finally put to use.

You can find images of both the above as they were then and as they are now on HistoricAerials.com. For those familiar with Staten Island, the configuration of the eastbound Dulles stub-end and the I-295 interchange were somewhat similar to the way the West Shore Expressway ended at the Richmond Parkway prior to the construction of the park-and-ride facility.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 20, 2011, 05:34:28 PM
WI-26 around Fort Atkinson, formerly super-2 with overpasses built to accomodate up to 3 lanes each way. The new SBD carraigeway was built over the past year or two.

In Wisconsin:

-The US 45 West Bend Spur was originally built as an upgradable 'Super Two' freeway.
-Much of I-39 north of Portage, WI was originally built as an upgradable two-lane US 51 during the 1960s.

In other states:

-Much of I-95 in northern Maine was built as a 'Super Two' freeway.
-Ditto I-70 in central Utah and I-15 around the Idaho-Montana state line.

Mike

Beltway

Quote from: doofy103 on November 20, 2011, 03:17:06 PM
Any cases where a road was built wider or had provisions to accomodate for future widening or capacity levels and then you were actually able to see the provisions in use?

There are many examples.  I'll list one near here —

When the I-95 Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike was widened to 6 lanes (3 each way) 1974-78 for 22 miles between I-85 and Maury Street, the trumpet interchange with VA-150 Chippenham Parkway was upgraded to a semi-directional interchange.   A 4-lane stub was built for the eventual extension of VA-150 across the James River to VA-5 and Laburnum Avenue, with the untrafficed stub extending about 800 feet eastward of the ramp connections to VA-150.  This Laburnum Avenue Extension plan proposed a high-level bascule span drawbridge over the James River, with 50 feet of vertical navigational clearance when closed.

The VA-895 Pocahontas Parkway was built in this corridor, extending eastward from the I-95/VA-150 interchange, from 1998 to 2002.  That stub was not utilized, as a much higher grade was needed there to reach the Route 895 James River bridge which is a fixed high level bridge with 145 feet of vertical navigational clearance.  VA-150 and VA-895 form a seamless freeway.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

empirestate

How about the George Washington Bridge? Designed for two decks but opened with only one. Now it has two.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

South (or east) of LSU and Baton Rouge, Burbank Rd (built as a relief route for Highland Rd) had two lanes built, but had a second carriageway set aside for future growth. In one of the rare instances of LaDOTD forsight, that second carriageway was actually used for highway usage and the second set of lanes was completed in 2008.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NE2

Quote from: empirestate on November 21, 2011, 07:27:59 PM
How about the George Washington Bridge? Designed for two decks but opened with only one. Now it has two.
Wasn't the lower deck originally planned for transit?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

I think the section of US 33 between the bend in Eiterman Rd and Frantz/Post Rd in Dublin was originally built (in the 40s or 50s) as a two-lane at-grade highway, with plans to expand to a four-lane divided highway.  In the 70s, the widening was executed, though the alignment was changed from the plans northwest of the Eiterman bend.

I-670's stub ending at Grandview Ave, with a half-built folded diamond, was eventually (2002) continued eastward, though the mainline stub was rebuilt on a different vertical alignment, and I think the existing mainline was widened a bit.

Rickenbacker Parkway West, near Lockbourne: built a few years ago as a two-lane road, with stubs of a second two-lane carriageway apparent at intersections.  Full four lanes opened to traffic a couple of weeks ago.

While trying to think of more examples, I got called to work (but I said the magic word, "tired," and therefore am not working tonight) and then got distracted looking at yesterday's XKCD.  I might as well hit the "post" button (and to go bed soon).
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zmapper

Quote from: NE2 on November 22, 2011, 01:23:37 AM
Quote from: empirestate on November 21, 2011, 07:27:59 PM
Wasn't the lower deck originally planned for transit?

Do you happen to know or have any maps on how such transit would connect to existing routes and continue into New Jersey? I have heard that the lower deck was for transit, but I am puzzled as to how the deck would be used.

NE2

Quote from: Zmapper on November 22, 2011, 02:40:29 AM
Do you happen to know or have any maps on how such transit would connect to existing routes and continue into New Jersey? I have heard that the lower deck was for transit, but I am puzzled as to how the deck would be used.
There's a stub on the IND Eighth Avenue Line at the 174th Street Yard.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

qguy

I-86 (originally PA 17 & NY 17), northwestern PA & western NY. From I-90 to NY 430. Initially constructed as a super-2 in 1988 and 1989. Built out as a full freeway as originally envisioned in 1996. (This section of PA/NY 17 was designated I-86 in 1999.)

qguy

Many stub-ends and "missing links" have existed in PA. Some were actually extended or completed. (Wonders never cease.) In no particular order...

PA 33 between Bethlehem and Easton, from US 22 to I-78. The interchange and stub-end at US 22 was completed in 1972. The freeway was completed to I-78 in 2002.

PA 60 (now I-376) in western PA between PA 51 & US 422. The stub-end at PA 51 was constructed in 1976. It was extended by the PA Turnpike Commission as a tolled highway to US 422 freeway in 1992. (Designated I-376 in 2009.)

US 15, from Williamsport to the NY state line. This portion of future I-99 was built in stages in a similar manner to the portion between the Turnpike and I-80, with various stub-ends existing for periods of time. When the segment from Mansfield to PA 487 was completed in 1978, it was constructed as a super-2 with what would be the northbound lanes being built. Where the freeway passes over an arm of the Tioga Reservoir, hammerhead-type bridge piers were built for both the northbound and the southbound lanes. The piers for the southbound lanes stood unused from 1978 until the southbound lanes were completed during the full freeway buildout on that segment in 2003.

US 222, from the Turnpike to US 422 on the west side of Reading. The freeway was completed to the stub-end just above the Turnpike in 1978. A stub-end at the interchange with US 422 was also constructed in 1978. The freeway was completed between the two stub-ends in 2006. (Hey, it only took 28 years.)

US 1 between the Oxford Valley are and Morrisville. The freeway was built to a stub-end just east of the Oxford Valley interchange in 1972 and extended to a freeway section in Morrisville in 1987.

US 220 (now I-99) between the Turnpike and State College. Constructed in stages from the 1970s to the 00s. Various stub-ends sat for years, notably the one at the Bald Eagle interchange (Intchg 52) which existed from 1976 until the freeway was completed from there to State College in 2008. (What's 32 years between friends?)

Not in PA: OH 711, Youngstown, OH. Between I-80 and US 422. The segment from I-680 to US 422 was built in hte late 1960s. The stub-end at the interchange with I-80 was constructed with that stretch of I-80. OH 711 between the two was completed in 2005.

Again, thanks to Mr. K's exhaustive detail at PA Highways for most of the dates herein.

Coelacanth

Not sure if this counts or not...

The ramp from EB MN-610 to WB US-10/NB MN-47 has always been a tight loop. When originally constructed, ALL traffic followed this loop. Before the construction of the "new" US-10, there was just open space that would have allowed for a gentle left-turning curve rather than the tight loop that was actually built.

This was actually quite an annoyance in some quarters. When I was an undergraduate taking "Technical Writing for Engineers", our first assignment was to write up a paper on how they could get rid of the annoying loop.

Of course, once the "thru" lanes of EB MN-610 --> EB "new" US-10 were built, the loop became necessary unless they wanted to build an expensive flyover or something.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.