Left turn traffic signals on T poles

Started by Tom89t, January 10, 2012, 10:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom89t

Left  turn traffic signals are on T poles sometimes because some streets are wide and have a median. Here are some examples.                 http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl                         

Post Merge: January 10, 2012, 11:46:19 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Scott5114

That just links to a map of the United States...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tom89t

Well I tried, it was working when I posted it.

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 07:59:59 PM

I am using a I pod touch cannot post links like you other guys.

Post Merge: January 11, 2012, 09:35:52 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 07:59:59 PM

Just go to google maps and type in Hawthorne blvd and Artesia blvd and then Lawndale California.

roadfro

OP's link

I'd say this is more of a rarity or unique situation than anything else...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Bizarre.  I've never seen one of those before.  Usually if they're in the median, I've seen those post-mounted.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on January 11, 2012, 05:04:20 AM
OP's link

That type of left-turn signal isn't as rare as you think.  There are a number of these T or half-T signals up here in northern California although I have not seen any "new installations".

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Example 5

I most cases, this type of signal was installed where there's a two-lane left turn to accommodate the two regulatory left turn signs ("left+u-turn and left" or "left and left").
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: roadfro on January 11, 2012, 05:04:20 AM
OP's link

Not so much, I think. I've seen these elsewhere. California has always had two left turn signal heads for protected-only left turn situations even when there was only one left turn lane. Originally (in the days of the 8-8-12 lights) the second head was in the median adjacent to the turn lane so only traffic stopped well back of the stop line could see it. Now, it's either in the opposite left corner of the intersection or, with two left turn lanes, either what you see here or two heads on a very long mast arm. 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

roadfro

Ok, well rare in the sense that this type of installation isn't really commonplace nowadays. The current preferred method being a single long mast arm for the approach that holds both thru and left signal heads.

Median pole mounted signals, or these "T" poles, are less popular in new installations. Particularly in cases like Myosh's 1st & 3rd StreetView examples with short/narrow median islands, such poles are very susceptible to vehicle strikes. I know of one intersection in Las Vegas where the left turn signals were pole mounted on the islands and multiple hits and replacements finally prompted the city to install a new mast arm to hold the left turn heads.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.