News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Not interesting for most of you, I'd reckon. But the sort of setup below is extremely rare in Washington, because

a) there's two turn signals (not required but ubiquitous in Spokane);
b) they're mounted in the median (extremely rare in Spokane, unheard of elsewhere in Washington); but mostly because
c) the secondary left turn head is mounted both near-side and at eye-level.

N Monroe St @ Wall St, Spokane, WA.

SignBridge

Actually this was quite effective. Puts the heads right in the driver's line-of-sight. But too easily knocked down in auto accidents. Used to be commonly seen in California on wide boulevards with center malls, but not anymore. Replaced with overhead and far-left corner heads.

plain

Virginia has a few median mounted turn signals similar to those, most of them in and installed by Virginia Beach. Henrico County had many of them at one point but very few remains today. Here's one of the Henrico intersections that still has them

https://goo.gl/maps/U9c1vnGEAA12
Newark born, Richmond bred

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on March 02, 2017, 09:33:09 PM
Not interesting for most of you, I'd reckon. But the sort of setup below is extremely rare in Washington, because

b) they're mounted in the median (extremely rare in Spokane, unheard of elsewhere in Washington); but mostly because

Damn, that's short. And here I thought these were the shortest [non-ramp meter] signals I've seen: :pan: :no: 
Randall Ave @ Campus Dr: Madison, WI
N Park St @ Johnson St: Madison, WI
Whitney Way @ Old Middleton Rd: Madison, WI
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

riiga

Looks very familiar to the standard setup here, though we don't mount the traffic light as low. Didn't know that kind of layout was ever used in the US.

traffic light guy

Why would the traffic signal be mounted that low, somebody could punch it's lights out, deface it, or steal it

SignBridge

Well that might be one reason why California phased them out over time, besides that they probably get knocked down all the time.

Revive 755

Quote from: DaBigE on March 02, 2017, 11:37:04 PM
Damn, that's short. And here I thought these were the shortest [non-ramp meter] signals I've seen: :pan: :no: 

The extremely low signals seem to be considered frequently for pre-signals at railroad crossings, such as on  IL 47 has one in Huntley and there's one on Wood Dale Road in Wood Dale, Illinois.

plain

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 03, 2017, 10:07:55 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on March 02, 2017, 11:37:04 PM

The extremely low signals seem to be considered frequently for pre-signals at railroad crossings, such as on  IL 47 has one in Huntley and there's one on Wood Dale Road in Wood Dale, Illinois.

Damn I thought that first one was low but these are LOW

Ian

There are some low mounted signals here at the intersection of Darby and Marple Roads in Havertown, PA, although these aren't really low considering they're sitting on ground that's already higher than the roadway. If you pan to the left, you'll also see that the mast arm of the overhead signals is slightly shorter for the same reason.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

traffic light guy

Quote from: Ian on March 03, 2017, 11:17:02 PM
There are some low mounted signals here at the intersection of Darby and Marple Roads in Havertown, PA, although these aren't really low considering they're sitting on ground that's already higher than the roadway. If you pan to the left, you'll also see that the mast arm of the overhead signals is slightly shorter for the same reason.

Whoever lives on that property has fun touching the traffic lights

DaBigE

Those have to be a maintenance worker's dream to have to work on. Out of traffic, no ladders needed... only thing missing are some shade trees.  :cool:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

plain

Quote from: DaBigE on March 03, 2017, 11:29:29 PM

Those have to be a maintenance worker's dream to have to work on. Out of traffic, no ladders needed... only thing missing are some shade trees.  :cool:

"Easy like Sunday Morning oooh ooh ooooh oooooh..."

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 03, 2017, 07:53:27 PM
Why would the traffic signal be mounted that low, somebody could punch it's lights out, deface it, or steal it
Quote from: SignBridge on March 03, 2017, 08:25:37 PM
Well that might be one reason why California phased them out over time, besides that they probably get knocked down all the time.

It's meant to be posted at eye-level (so you can see it directly out your driver's window). I'm not aware of vandalism being a problem.

British Columbia posts near-side protected left signals at eye level by matter of policy. They don't get knocked down that often because they're not posted near the turn radius. California often posted theirs right at the crosswalk. BC's are posted back from the junction, so very few vehicles are in danger of knocking them over.

Quote from: riiga on March 03, 2017, 06:15:39 PM
Looks very familiar to the standard setup here, though we don't mount the traffic light as low. Didn't know that kind of layout was ever used in the US.

It's a pretty rare setup, depending on where you are (Washington, for example). Places like BC (in Canada, above) post signals in the medians all the time, as do places like Wisconsin (or at least they used to). Near-side signals are pretty uncommon in the US as a whole, though right-side near-side signals are becoming more common.

SignBridge

Ian and others re: those post-mounted signals at T-intersections in Pennsylvania. That's a common configuration for T-intersections in that state. It's good because the heads are at eye level for drivers at the stop-line. But bad because a large truck or bus passing by could block your view of both signal heads. A better arrangement would be for one eye-level post-mounted head and one high mast-arm head. Either that or add a near-right corner supplemental signal to the existing set-up. I'm surprised traffic engineers in Penna. aren't concerned with that potential problem.

Big John

^^ While panning around that intersection, it shows that it has that near-side signal for the side street.

SignBridge

Oh yes, so it does! I stand corrected. Surprised to see that though. Don't know what county that is, but at least in Bucks County where I've done a lot of driving, such near-right supplemental's are not commonly seen. Thanks Big John.

DrSmith

Another short pole signal in Holyoke Mass, although it is at eye-level as well. Just mounted up on a wall.....
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1698596,-72.6323385,3a,75y,176.31h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sngfgSuppC3XfylAcP_FqbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

On the topic of short signals; railway crossing near Coquitlam, BC. Two supplementary signals on the sides, with two additional signals (mounted about a metre off the ground) pointed at the stop lines (so that drivers can see). Reminds me of a ramp meter setup:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: DrSmith on March 04, 2017, 10:09:24 PM
Another short pole signal in Holyoke Mass, although it is at eye-level as well. Just mounted up on a wall.....
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1698596,-72.6323385,3a,75y,176.31h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sngfgSuppC3XfylAcP_FqbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's a rather crazy intersection and set-up there, especially from this angle with arrows pointing in every direction it seems:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1700947,-72.6321318,3a,22y,204.07h,89.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7NzTgZRGqqwUKjZgNAwYWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

M3019C LPS20

Quite a common setup on major thoroughfares throughout New York City; however, the DOT does not use short poles for its vehicular signals. While I agree that would be benefical for visibility, that is definitely prone to an accident.

US71

A new signal in Fort Smith seems to be having some problems:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

riiga

It has six lights, no wonder it's broken.  :biggrin:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: riiga on March 06, 2017, 12:26:47 PM
It has six lights, no wonder it's broken.  :biggrin:
Count again, there's only 5.

It appears the red was wired through the yellow terminal.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.