News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2018, 04:49:49 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on February 06, 2018, 03:17:17 PM
Philly is the only area left in my area that still has post-mounted signals. But that's besides the fact. I know no one else really cares, but I found a few sets of old traffic signal equipment still standing along the Northernmost tip of Broad Street in Philadelphia. How are these signals undocumented!?!?
Why did I post this here, well...How were these left undocumented, I'm the only one who's ever mentioned these, how could so many old traffic signals go undocumented, especailly these, these are the only installs left that were left unaffected by Broad Street's 2008 Upgrades.

Undocumented as in, nobody has ever shot photos or mentioned these setups before except for me

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 06, 2018, 04:52:14 PM
Philly is the only area left in my area that still has post-mounted signals. But that's besides the fact. I know no one else really cares, but I found a few sets of old traffic signal equipment still standing along the Northernmost tip of Broad Street in Philadelphia. How are these signals undocumented!?!?
Why did I post this here, well...How were these left undocumented, I'm the only one who's ever mentioned these, how could so many old traffic signals go undocumented, especailly these, these are the only installs left that were left unaffected by Broad Street's 2008 Upgrades.

What do you mean by "undocumented"? As in, not replaced in keeping with the traditional signal replacement schedules?

Undocumented as in, nobody has ever shot photos or mentioned these setups before except for me

Well, there's a couple reasons. Only a small group of roadgeeks have a fascination with signals. Not even I really care about the signals themselves. I'm more into their placement and operation. Furthermore, you seem to be the only signal-geek in the Philly area.

Also, you might want to fix your quote. Somehow you deleted my response and replaced it with your own.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2018, 05:04:15 PM

What do you mean by "undocumented"? As in, not replaced in keeping with the traditional signal replacement schedules?

Well, there's a couple reasons. Only a small group of roadgeeks have a fascination with signals. Not even I really care about the signals themselves. I'm more into their placement and operation. Furthermore, you seem to be the only signal-geek in the Philly area.

Also, you might want to fix your quote. Somehow you deleted my response and replaced it with your own.

There are actually four traffic signal geeks that live in the Philly area: Me, macsignals, Ian Ligget, and NotMUTCDcompliant

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 06, 2018, 05:06:13 PM

There are actually four traffic signal geeks that live in the Philly area: Me, macsignals, Ian Ligget, and NotMUTCDcompliant

So there's one other? macsignals is not a user here, and NotMUTCDcompliant is the head of another website you were banned from. Ian seems to be only other AARoads user, besides yourself, who'd actually post something like what you've shared here. But he doesn't really post a whole lot to begin with, and judging by his age (same as mine), he's probably busy doing life's chores.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2018, 05:20:46 PM

So there's one other? macsignals is not a user here, and NotMUTCDcompliant is the head of another website you were banned from. Ian seems to be only other AARoads user, besides yourself, who'd actually post something like what you've shared here. But he doesn't really post a whole lot to begin with, and judging by his age (same as mine), he's probably busy doing life's chores.
notMUTCDcompliant does have an account here, IIRC, but like Ian, he doesn't post very often.

How were these left undocumented, I'm the only one who's ever mentioned these, how could so many old traffic signals go undocumented, especailly these, these are the only installs left that were left unaffected by Broad Street's 2008 Upgrades. And about the Econolite bullseyes, I don't think there are any others left within the Philadelphia area.
It's entirely possible that people just weren't aware that those signals (still) existed, or at least didn't think they were worth documenting. I've found some really old signals in my area that no-one else knew about (such as a Crouse-hinds Type M 4-way with two red lights on all sides), and I once stumbled-upon a pair of single-face Crouse-hinds Type DT beacons by complete accident before as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 06, 2018, 10:01:18 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2018, 05:20:46 PM

notMUTCDcompliant does have an account here, IIRC, but like Ian, he doesn't post very often.

His only post was in response to a thread that traffic light guy created about being banned from another forum, Highway Divides. He was/is the head of that website.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21859.msg2287713#msg2287713

So technically, he has an account. But not in the traditional sense.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2018, 10:14:50 PM

That is indeed not only untraditional, but rather strange. I wonder if notmutcdcompliant created an account for that sole purpose. Strange indeed.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on February 06, 2018, 11:01:06 PM

That is indeed not only untraditional, but rather strange. I wonder if notmutcdcompliant created an account for that sole purpose. Strange indeed.

His account was created well before he posted for the first time.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on February 07, 2018, 05:42:54 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 06, 2018, 11:01:06 PM

His account was created well before he posted for the first time.

More than likely for the sole purpose of tracking traffic light guy.

jeffandnicole

We can always discuss the number of people that can hang on a Philly traffic light before it crashes to the ground! LOL

Go Eagles!!!  :)

traffic light guy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2018, 01:49:32 PM
We can always discuss the number of people that can hang on a Philly traffic light before it crashes to the ground! LOL

Go Eagles!!!  :)

When I think of Eagles, I think of the old Eagle flatback traffic signals within the city, not the Football team

Ian

You answered your own question. No one else really cares...

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 07, 2018, 03:38:38 PM
When I think of Eagles, I think of the old Eagle flatback traffic signals within the city, not the Football team

I triple dog dare you to make one post not relating to traffic signals in Philly. Go on, try it.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hotdogPi

Quote from: Ian on February 08, 2018, 05:08:14 PM

I triple dog dare you to make one post not relating to traffic signals in Philly. Go on, try it.

He could post about traffic signals in Camden, NJ (or any other nearby suburb) and it would count.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Ian

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2018, 05:25:50 PM

He could post about traffic signals in Camden, NJ (or any other nearby suburb) and it would count.

Okay... how about making a single post not relating to traffic signals at all?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

seicer

An interesting find in Yonkers, New York. Most likely a c. 1950's Marbelite with one single unit taken apart for an infrared detector.

traffic light guy

Next time I vacation in New Jersey, you guys are getting pictures. And one post not related to traffic signals, my name is traffic light guy for a reason. 

ASUS Chromebook C202SA

traffic light guy

Plus, I've seen your older Flickr posts, you also went head over heals for old traffic signals within the Philadelphia area, but to a way lesser extent than I do

freebrickproductions

Quote from: seicer on February 08, 2018, 07:11:06 PM

An interesting find in Yonkers, New York. Most likely a c. 1950's Marbelite with one single unit taken apart for an infrared detector.
Yea, that's the gutted remains of a 12 inch Marbelite section there. How strange!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

Since you're a traffic signal fan who lives in Philly, take a ride around Center City and see how many visors are loose from people climbing and hanging on them during the Eagles celebrations over the past week!  LOL

traffic light guy

I actually got many shots of old traffic signals during the parade. You guys are lucky to have me, I keep track of all the oldies in the Philadelphia area, that way you guys can still look at the pictures when the good stuff is long gone. Spring Garden street had some good stuff! I loved the Crouse-Hinds Type M breadpan signals! 

traffic light guy

Here is a really rare old signal that I found in North Philly:

Marbelite on top with a pair of McCains by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

You see the traffic light that's mounted overhead, I'm not sure if this is true, but a member told me that this is a rare Type K head, that was manufactured by marbelite decades ago.

Here's a link to the original topic: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21967.0

Revive 755

Two questions on span wire mounted signals:

1) What is the longest span used?  From rough measurements in Google Maps, it appears US 30 at Missisippi Street in Merrillville, IN has one of ~177 feet (Streetview).  Are there any over 200 feet?

2) Are there any span wire mounting systems that have the signal heads directly attached to three or more wires?  Say one at the top of the signal head, one in the middle of the head, and one at the bottom?  The Merrillville example would not appear to meet this criteria as the third wire appears to be more for supporting the middle wire than the signal heads.

On a different subject, it appears Georgia is not against using FYA doghouses, based on this signal at Memorial Drive and Candler Road on the Atlanta city limit.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 12, 2018, 08:25:04 PM
On a different subject, it appears Georgia is not against using FYA doghouses, based on this signal at Memorial Drive and Candler Road on the Atlanta city limit.
I saw a number of FYA doghouses when I was last in Atlanta back in 2016.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Here's an up-close look at a post-mounted traffic signal in Coquitlam, BC. Note the standard practice in BC of mounting the secondary (side) signals in-line with the pedestrian heads:

freebrickproductions

Looks like an American LED for the upper section as well?

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.