News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

That was my guess too, that one of those signal heads had gotten twisted around. No way it would actually be configured that way as in the photo.

Mark68

Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2020, 09:46:59 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 14, 2020, 09:24:29 PM
Since I'm close to the area I can explain each one.
The first one is in Porter Square, and the top signal should be facing the other way.

The second one is actually an illusion. The bottom green has no visor so it looks red and green.

Thank you. People aren't capable of doing any fucking investigative work. Took a great deal of scrolling to find anyone actually realizing that the signal had been turned slightly. Every other comment is Bostonians complaining about driving, the roads, etc.

When I saw the first one, I instantly thought it was Massachusetts. The layout of the signals on the pole just looked so MA. And the signal being turned the wrong way...let's just say it isn't the first time I've seen something like that in the Boston area.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

jakeroot

Quote from: Mark68 on January 16, 2020, 01:37:34 PM
The first one is in Porter Square, and the top signal should be facing the other way.

The second one is actually an illusion. The bottom green has no visor so it looks red and green.

Thank you. People aren't capable of doing any fucking investigative work. Took a great deal of scrolling to find anyone actually realizing that the signal had been turned slightly. Every other comment is Bostonians complaining about driving, the roads, etc.

When I saw the first one, I instantly thought it was Massachusetts. The layout of the signals on the pole just looked so MA. And the signal being turned the wrong way...let's just say it isn't the first time I've seen something like that in the Boston area.

Yeah, I can see why you'd think that. My mind also thought about DC, where all-black (or very dark) signals and masts are quite common (and where I have seen signals occasionally swung in the wrong direction).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on January 16, 2020, 04:36:57 PM
Quote from: Mark68 on January 16, 2020, 01:37:34 PM

Yeah, I can see why you'd think that. My mind also thought about DC, where all-black (or very dark) signals and masts are quite common (and where I have seen signals occasionally swung in the wrong direction).
If I didn't know the area, DC would've been a quick guess for me too. Signals high on poles are common in that area.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Question for you guys. Check out this signal in Spokane, WA:

https://goo.gl/maps/iavLBKA5v9GqZRtd8

There are five sections, and it would appear that (top to bottom) they read either 6-7-8-9-10 (more logical) or (what I think it says) 8-7-8-9-0.

The signal is facing diagonally more at northbound Howard Street traffic. I thought it might have been for buses, but I don't see any other bus infrastructure in the area.

US 89

I have no idea what you've found, but here's another one on Sprague immediately west of that intersection. The sections look like 6-7-8-9-0 to me.

jay8g

Just past there is the main transit plaza zones 6-10. Maybe it was a system to tell drivers if there was a bus in the zone or something along those lines. The transit plaza also has these weird things at the entrance and exit to the row of zones, which look like they might be some sort of tag reader.

Looking back at 2007 street view, the system still seemed to be working, and it appears that the lights were lit when there was a bus at the corresponding bay (but it's really hard to tell because the image quality is horrible as is normal for 2007 images, and it looks like street view drove through many times in the same month which confuses matters). At this angle, it looks like all the lights are lit, and if you look further forward, it looks like there are buses in all of the bays. From this angle, the first and third lights (6 and 8) are lit, and I think there are buses in zones 6 and 8 (though it's hard to say for sure). I'm not sure what the point of that was, but it is an interesting setup!

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on January 19, 2020, 03:02:15 AM
Just past there is the main transit plaza zones 6-10. Maybe it was a system to tell drivers if there was a bus in the zone or something along those lines. The transit plaza also has these weird things at the entrance and exit to the row of zones, which look like they might be some sort of tag reader.

Looking back at 2007 street view, the system still seemed to be working, and it appears that the lights were lit when there was a bus at the corresponding bay (but it's really hard to tell because the image quality is horrible as is normal for 2007 images, and it looks like street view drove through many times in the same month which confuses matters). At this angle, it looks like all the lights are lit, and if you look further forward, it looks like there are buses in all of the bays. From this angle, the first and third lights (6 and 8) are lit, and I think there are buses in zones 6 and 8 (though it's hard to say for sure). I'm not sure what the point of that was, but it is an interesting setup!

I also found this 2007 imagery clearly showing a "6" on the top lit-up: https://goo.gl/maps/WMfJRq6zPLQh34bx7

Good sleuthing!

Quote from: US 89 on January 19, 2020, 01:55:27 AM
I have no idea what you've found, but here's another one on Sprague immediately west of that intersection. The sections look like 6-7-8-9-0 to me.

Looks like the one I found was for traffic from Howard St, and the one you found for Sprague.

Scott5114

Quote from: fwydriver405 on December 30, 2019, 07:03:34 PM
Anyone have a clue when and why the traffic signals near the SB O'Neil Tunnel entrance (and Southeast Expressway, with the lane control signals) were removed?

My guess as to the "why" would be because that's not a valid use of standard RYG traffic signals, which are meant to convey stop/go and not lane control information. For those, they need to use the ×/down arrow signals.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

traffic light guy

I found some ancient 1950's vintage Crouse-Hinds type DT signals in Folsom:

8-inch Crouse-Hinds type R with a Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 24, 2020, 11:43:55 PM
I found some ancient 1950's vintage Crouse-Hinds type DT signals  in Folsom:

I'm guessing that's Folsom, PA? There's another much larger Folsom in California ("Folsom Prison Blues", etc).

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on January 25, 2020, 04:31:03 AM
Quote from: traffic light guy on January 24, 2020, 11:43:55 PM
I found some ancient 1950's vintage Crouse-Hinds type DT signals  in Folsom:

I'm guessing that's Folsom, PA? There's another much larger Folsom in California ("Folsom Prison Blues", etc).

it is pa

traffic light guy

CJResotko

Two old-fashioned Michigan beacon setups in Dimondale, MI
https://youtu.be/QVvNe2Kdzk8

jakeroot

Quote from: CJResotko on January 28, 2020, 08:28:01 PM

Unrelated: I must admit that I am more familiar with Dimondale being the site of the country's first proper mini-roundabout:

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on January 28, 2020, 09:34:13 PM

Unrelated: I must admit that I am more familiar with Dimondale being the site of the country's first proper mini-roundabout:

What is with that European Sign.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 29, 2020, 08:48:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 28, 2020, 09:34:13 PM

https://i.imgur.com/xkQKuix.png

What is with that European Sign.

British designers highly recommend bollards to improve visibility of the circle, but there was no American version of a keep-right light-up bollard. So they imported one from the UK, flipped the arrow, and called it good. Since replaced by reflective American bollard (after being introduced in the MUTCD).

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49477890746/in/dateposted-public/
Unusual two left turn signal heads at I-45's southern terminus in Galveston.  Yes, two lanes turn here, but to have them ground mounted and double reds for both (though one of the red balls is out) is very rare.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49477489753/in/dateposted-public/
Sloppy sloppy sloppy!

No thought by installers to make it look more presentable as it looked like the contractors were in a big hurry to do the job!

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

OMG it gets even worse.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49482439788/in/dateposted-public/

I guess Galveston has no pride in their signals at all.  It seems this is common along Spur SH 342 from what I have found and in nearby Seabrook along SH 146 at Nasa Road 1 as well.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on February 02, 2020, 10:19:38 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/49477890746/in/dateposted-public/
Unusual two left turn signal heads at I-45's southern terminus in Galveston.  Yes, two lanes turn here, but to have them ground mounted and double reds for both (though one of the red balls is out) is very rare.

Double Reds on Lefties is common in Texas

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

fwydriver405

After watching this video about Connecticut traffic lights, I see that Connecticut is still installing new 8-inch (203 mm) signal heads...

Federal Rd, Old New Milford Rd and Junction Rd in Brookfield CT

The old intersection used to use 12-inch (305 mm) heads for this leg... is it possible that section 4D.07.02 and 03 in the 2009 MUTCD permit this configuration, as well as the proximity of the two intersections?

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD, Section 4D.07 Size of Vehicular Signal Indications
Standard:

02 Except as provided in Paragraph 3 below, 12-inch signal indications shall be used for all signal sections in all new signal faces.

Option:
03 Eight-inch circular signal indications may be used in new signal faces only for:

B. The circular indications in signal faces controlling the approach to the downstream location where two adjacent signalized locations are close to each other and it is not practical because of factors such as high approach speeds, horizontal or vertical curves, or other geometric factors to install visibility-limited signal faces for the downstream approach;

C. The circular indications in a signal face that is located less than 120 feet from the stop line on a roadway with a posted or statutory speed limit of 30 mph or less.

SignBridge

I've noticed it too, that Connecticut is not one of the smarter states when it comes to traffic light installations. Massachusetts notably does far better at least in more recent installations.

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 12, 2020, 10:55:39 AM
The old intersection used to use 12-inch (305 mm) heads for this leg... is it possible that section 4D.07.02 and 03 in the 2009 MUTCD permit this configuration, as well as the proximity of the two intersections?

In reference to your quoted section, 3-C would permit 8-inch signals as long as the signal is within 120 feet of the stop line. So that installation would be compliant.

Seattle, until very recently, continued to install all 8-inch signals (all except for arrow signals). They recently switched to 12-inch signals.

Just for the record, many places around the world continue to install 200mm signals: Australia, New Zealand, much of Southern Africa (not just ZA), Japan, and other places. British Columbia calls for 200mm arrow signals for the near-side left turn signals. They're perfectly fine under many circumstances.

jakeroot

There's a seemingly-old four-way flasher at this intersection in Tacoma, Wash.  It replaced what was previously a signal, seen here.

There is some evidence of the original signal in the graded-away markings along the road (transverse crosswalk markings), as well as wiring that extends to about where the old displays used to hang.

Is it possible that the four-way flasher was the top red display of the original central traffic light? It appears to be the same design, and the four-way flasher that is there seems too old to date from when the signals were removed (sometime in the 1980s).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.