Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadfro on April 18, 2020, 02:01:13 PM
Quote from: CJResotko on April 17, 2020, 09:49:35 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 17, 2020, 03:30:13 AM
Could anyone make sense of this signal in Grapevine, Texas?...

https://goo.gl/maps/oSQHHPm4wyXLsYC79

5-section tower, but the solid green is on the bottom lens rather than center. Both directions along Hwy 26.

It's almost like they took the regular 5-section horizontal signal (where the solid green is on the far-right), and flipped it 90-degrees clockwise.
The solid green and green arrow indications are flipped around.
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9324197,-97.0607891,3a,47.1y,332.55h,98.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5TMPddxv33E0bQOQ_OU2tg!2e0!5s20150401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Actually, they're not. Standard order in a 5-section vertical stack for left turns:

[R]
[Y]
[G]
[<Y]
[<G]

I think Jake's right and they just used a display meant to be horizontal and rotated the arrow lenses. Standard order in a 5-section horizontal for left turns:

[R][Y][<Y][<G][G]

Is this discrepancy just because of the rule of "green is always on the far right" for horizontal signals?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 17, 2020, 10:21:31 AM
So I wonder what the purpose of these PV signals facing the wrong direction on the Malden Bridge on Route 99 in Boston/Everett... it looks like at one time they were used when all traffic was shifted on the other deck but now it looks like they just stay dormant.

Contraflow signals installed in 1998 on the new First Avenue Bridge span while they rehabbed the old span, and never removed them.  Also included is a flashing Draw Bridge signal, and I think I actually saw that flash when I was waiting on the bridge.

bcroadguy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 18, 2020, 08:31:15 PM
Weird slip lane signals.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.244021,-71.810655,3a,28.6y,315.32h,108.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6AlIXYTC25uWTn31Qz1G7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The slip lane gets a green ball at the same time as both directions of through traffic, which I think means it should be treated like a regular right turn lane, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of this for traffic turning left onto Northbound Southbridge. It looks like there could be conflicts if a car that just turned left onto Southbridge immediately changes lanes to the right (which I'm pretty sure is legal). They should put up some white plastic pylons between the lanes to prevent that. Or, if they want slip lane traffic to yield to left turns (which they might, otherwise there's no point in having a green arrow phase) a "right turn yield on green" sign might work or maybe some flashing yellow arrows.

mrsman

Quote from: bcroadguy on April 19, 2020, 06:14:54 AM
Weird slip lane signals.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.244021,-71.810655,3a,28.6y,315.32h,108.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6AlIXYTC25uWTn31Qz1G7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The slip lane gets a green ball at the same time as both directions of through traffic, which I think means it should be treated like a regular right turn lane, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of this for traffic turning left onto Northbound Southbridge. It looks like there could be conflicts if a car that just turned left onto Southbridge immediately changes lanes to the right (which I'm pretty sure is legal). They should put up some white plastic pylons between the lanes to prevent that. Or, if they want slip lane traffic to yield to left turns (which they might, otherwise there's no point in having a green arrow phase) a "right turn yield on green" sign might work or maybe some flashing yellow arrows.

I don't think USA has an equivalent to the right turn on green signs.

It seems to me that the best approach would be to keep the normal connotations, as much as possible.

When straight-through traffic has a green, you're right that there could be a conflict with opposing left turn traffic.  The most appropriate signal notation for this, as you noted, is the flashing yellow arrow, so that the right turners are to yield to any left turners who are coming through the point where the street meets the slip lane.

When cross traffic has the green, a red ball is what is currently employed, but a solid red arrow could also be used instead, especially given the NTOR sign.

And of course during the concurrent left turn, use a green arrow to denote the protected right turn.

The steady yellow arrow can be used to terminate the flashing yellow arrow or the green arrow.  If the flashing yellow arrow immediately precedes the green arrow, a solid yellow arrow isn't necessary to terminate the flashing yellow arrow.

So I'd recommend a four aspect FYA signal:

Red ball w/NTOR sign or red arrow
steady yellow arrow
flashing yellow arrow
steady green arrow.

In many ways, a signal for a slip lane can be more efficient than a yield sign.  Particularly if the concurrent left turn is long enough, a green arrow would be more efficient than if every car slowed to yield to make sure the coast is clear.  Unless there are u-turns, there are no conflicting movements for right turns during the concurrent left turn, so a green arrow is appropriate.

jakeroot

This talk of signalized slip lanes reminds me of Illinois, a state that is well-known for at least two things:

1) slip lanes
2) slip lanes with signals

In many scenarios where permissive left turns are employed, the right turn slip lane sees a concurrent green orb signal. See an example here.

It seems to me that you'd have to yield to both oncoming traffic and those vehicles turning right via the slip lane. That would seem to limit the capacity of the left turn pretty dramatically, at least compared to a slip lane with a yield sign or FYAs.

Are there any Illinois drivers out there who can speak to how these things operate?

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on April 19, 2020, 02:34:14 PM
This talk of signalized slip lanes reminds me of Illinois, a state that is well-known for at least two things:

1) slip lanes

In many scenarios where permissive left turns are employed, the right turn slip lane sees a concurrent green orb signal. See an example here.

It seems to me that you'd have to yield to both oncoming traffic and those vehicles turning right via the slip lane. That would seem to limit the capacity of the left turn pretty dramatically, at least compared to a slip lane with a yield sign or FYAs.

Are there any Illinois drivers out there who can speak to how these things operate?

That intersection you referenced had another oddity.

U-turn yield to right turn.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9039269,-88.0433273,3a,75y,75.04h,80.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si2iQWvAHTDGvExkdSnVGQg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

But then,

Right turn on red must yield to U-turn

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9042887,-88.0430363,3a,75y,219.82h,74.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYZcTYx39-uW0666_K0XFJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I'll defer to an IL person to answer your question more definitively, but IMO it seems that by seeing the green ball, a right turner would have the right of way over the opposing left turner, even though this is a slip lane.  On green ball, a right turner would only yield to pedestrians, but the crosswalk is on the other side of the street anyway.

On red ball, it is a stop then yield situation for right turners.  yielding to cross traffic or to left turning traffic when they (left turners) have the protected green arrow.

Some states are more strict than others about right turning vehicles turning into the rightmost lane and left turning vehicles turning into the left most lane.  If that is the case here, then the left turning and right turning vehicles will not impede each other.

In fact, there is an intersection only a few miles away where that is the only possibility as left turn and right turn green arrows display simultaneously on opposing sides.  A probable MUTCD violation, but safe if every vehicle turns only into the closest lane.  I-290 median off and on ramps at harlem Ave in Oak Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8737141,-87.804365,3a,75y,226.95h,92.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stb3HO20e2RrEKyKIntIHTA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

fwydriver405

Quote from: mrsman on April 19, 2020, 03:08:59 PM

1) slip lanes

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9039269,-88.0433273,3a,75y,75.04h,80.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si2iQWvAHTDGvExkdSnVGQg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

But then,

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9042887,-88.0430363,3a,75y,219.82h,74.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYZcTYx39-uW0666_K0XFJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I'll defer to an IL person to answer your question more definitively, but IMO it seems that by seeing the green ball, a right turner would have the right of way over the opposing left turner, even though this is a slip lane.  On green ball, a right turner would only yield to pedestrians, but the crosswalk is on the other side of the street anyway.

On red ball, it is a stop then yield situation for right turners.  yielding to cross traffic or to left turning traffic when they (left turners) have the protected green arrow.

Some states are more strict than others about right turning vehicles turning into the rightmost lane and left turning vehicles turning into the left most lane.  If that is the case here, then the left turning and right turning vehicles will not impede each other.

In fact, there is an intersection only a few miles away where that is the only possibility as left turn and right turn green arrows display simultaneously on opposing sides.  A probable MUTCD violation, but safe if every vehicle turns only into the closest lane.  I-290 median off and on ramps at harlem Ave in Oak Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8737141,-87.804365,3a,75y,226.95h,92.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stb3HO20e2RrEKyKIntIHTA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That kinda reminds me of an intersection in South Portland which I've never understood for years on end:

Westbrook St and Broadway, South Portland ME. All movements on Westbrook are split phased, and single protected only lead for EB Broadway movements:
Green ball
Red ball
Red ball + green right turn arrow

The "free" right movement from SB Westbrook to WB Broadway has always confused me because not only is there a 4-section PPRT signal, but not too far from that, a YIELD sign close to the signal lights. I've never understood which one took precedent, the 4-section PPRT signal or the YIELD sign, especially because there is NO marked stop/limit line... there is also NO crosswalk on this slip lane as well.

There's also a similar setup in Mountain View CA, which, according to the Mercury News in this article (warning, (AdBlock) paywall after X amount of articles), some people have even failed their drive tests for failure to stop for a red light...

The bottom line is, for "free" right turns at intersections like the South Portland ME and Moutain View CA examples, which takes priority? The signal, or the YIELD sign?

Revive 755

Quote from: mrsman on April 19, 2020, 10:15:40 AM
When straight-through traffic has a green, you're right that there could be a conflict with opposing left turn traffic.  The most appropriate signal notation for this, as you noted, is the flashing yellow arrow, so that the right turners are to yield to any left turners who are coming through the point where the street meets the slip lane.

Except a right turn movement with a flashing yellow arrow would have the right of way over a concurrent and conflicting left turn movement with its own flashing yellow arrow, unless there is a 'right turn yield on flashing yellow arrow' sign.  This is why I would like to see a flashing green arrow or some other indication for turning movements that have the right away but conflicting movements are only required to yield - it would keep the flashing yellow arrow as a pure yield indication.

For signalized slip lanes in Illinois, the right turn movement with a green ball is supposed to have the right of way over an opposing left turn movement with its own green ball or flashing yellow arrow indication.  This is not always the way it works in practice - I can think of at least one intersection which has a recurring issue of the left turn failing to yield on a green ball to the opposing right turn.

It might be a legal requirement in Illinois for the right turn to turn into the closest lane, but this rarely happens in practice, and I can think of one location where the guide striping does not follow this - it would force one of the two right turn lanes into a new right turn only lane and not a through lane.

EDIT:
For the IL 64/Swift Road intersection - I think the 'Right Turn on Red Must Yield to U-Turn' sign was either installed in error, or the right turn overlap is not used anymore at that intersection.  The U-turn would be only supposed to occur while the concurrent left turn green arrow is up.  If there is a right turn overlap, the right turn would have the green arrow and in theory have right of way over the conflicting U-turn movement (another 'it's not always how it works in the field' case).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: mrsman on April 19, 2020, 10:15:40 AM
Weird slip lane signals.

I don't think USA has an equivalent to the right turn on green signs.

It seems to me that the best approach would be to keep the normal connotations, as much as possible.

When cross traffic has the green, a red ball is what is currently employed, but a solid red arrow could also be used instead, especially given the NTOR sign.

And of course during the concurrent left turn, use a green arrow to denote the protected right turn.

The steady yellow arrow can be used to terminate the flashing yellow arrow or the green arrow.  If the flashing yellow arrow immediately precedes the green arrow, a solid yellow arrow isn't necessary to terminate the flashing yellow arrow.

So I'd recommend a four aspect FYA signal:

Red ball w/NTOR sign or red arrow
steady yellow arrow
flashing yellow arrow
steady green arrow.

In many ways, a signal for a slip lane can be more efficient than a yield sign.  Particularly if the concurrent left turn is long enough, a green arrow would be more efficient than if every car slowed to yield to make sure the coast is clear.  Unless there are u-turns, there are no conflicting movements for right turns during the concurrent left turn, so a green arrow is appropriate.
Oh we do have Right Turn Yield on greens:

This interesection is at Western Av @ Leo M Birmingham Parkway in Boston MA

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

1) slip lanes

They're also known for red light camera trap slip lanes, like this awful one in Crestwood IL:

There is no right turn signal in the cone of vision, yet running the red light is a ticket.

iPhone

mrsman

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 19, 2020, 03:52:56 PM

1) slip lanes

But then,

That kinda reminds me of an intersection in South Portland which I've never understood for years on end:

Westbrook St and Broadway, South Portland ME. All movements on Westbrook are split phased, and single protected only lead for EB Broadway movements:
Green ball
Red ball

The "free" right movement from SB Westbrook to WB Broadway has always confused me because not only is there a 4-section PPRT signal, but not too far from that, a YIELD sign close to the signal lights. I've never understood which one took precedent, the 4-section PPRT signal or the YIELD sign, especially because there is NO marked stop/limit line... there is also NO crosswalk on this slip lane as well.

There's also a similar setup in Mountain View CA, which, according to the Mercury News in this article (warning, (AdBlock) paywall after X amount of articles), some people have even failed their drive tests for failure to stop for a red light...

The bottom line is, for "free" right turns at intersections like the South Portland ME and Moutain View CA examples, which takes priority? The signal, or the YIELD sign?

Didn't click on the article, but I can tell you as a CA native that the driving instructors are wrong.  The yield sign controls the right turn, not the traffic signal.  CA is very good about not having signs and signals in conflict, usually.

mrsman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 19, 2020, 10:07:48 PM

Oh we do have Right Turn Yield on greens:

This interesection is at Western Av @ Leo M Birmingham Parkway in Boston MA

iPhone

This looks like a weird corner.  Can you tell us who has the right of way when this signal is green?

It seems to me that if there is no point in the signal cycle that provides a protected turn, then maybe this should be a stop sign or possibly a flashing yellow arrow.

It is a little reminiscent of this entrance to Dupont Circle in Washington DC.  At the time of this GSV, you can see that there is no turn on red.  The signal is RED-YELLOW-FLASHING YELLOW ARROW.  no green.  Basically, you have an absolute red when peds cross and are not allowed to turn.  But because the island is so narrow, peds around the circle and across the circle have WALK at the same time.  So this means that there is no protected turn for right turners and they always have to look for a gap in circle traffic.  (And the time when the circle traffic has a red, NH Ave traffic can't enter the circle because they also have a red.)

I believe this may have been fixed more recently and now there are green arrows, but I don't know for sure.  I bet they realized it would be safer for all if the traffic has a small protected phase for turning.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9102419,-77.0429882,3a,75y,180.98h,93.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgAuPc95-mfyLBAC-_NBwwA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on April 19, 2020, 11:08:46 PM

1) slip lanes

But then,

Green ball
Red ball

Didn't click on the article, but I can tell you as a CA native that the driving instructors are wrong.  The yield sign controls the right turn, not the traffic signal.  CA is very good about not having signs and signals in conflict, usually.

By not clicking on the article, you missed out on the issue. There isn't a yield or stop sign there, but it is separated by an island.

bcroadguy

I found an intersection in Illinois that is pretty much exactly the same as the intersection in MA and has all the same issues. Just like the MA intersection, the slip lanes also have a protected green arrow phase, even though a green ball should theoretically give right turns the right of way.

Verlanka

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 19, 2020, 10:09:43 PM

1) slip lanes

They're also known for red light camera trap slip lanes, like this awful one in Crestwood IL:

There is no right turn signal in the cone of vision, yet running the red light is a ticket.

iPhone
It might help to put up and additional signal there.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 20, 2020, 12:12:43 AM
Quote from: mrsman on April 19, 2020, 11:08:46 PM

1) slip lanes

But then,

Green ball
Red ball

By not clicking on the article, you missed out on the issue. There isn't a yield or stop sign there, but it is separated by an island.

They must have fixed the issue post article because the GSV link above clearly shows a yield sign.

fwydriver405

Red left arrow and green diagonal-right (thru?) arrow at this rotary intersection in Keene NH. Funny how left on red is illegal in NH, but they sign it so the turn is OK after stop from the U-turn lane. Some states that completely prohibit turns on arrows ban the use of the R10-17 sign completely (CA for example)...

Central Square, Keene NH

The signal kind of reminds me of one of jakeroot's videos where the red arrow + green arrow lights up at the same time for the right turn filter, similar in operation to a 4 section bimodal right turn signal, shown below:

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 20, 2020, 08:39:58 AM
Red left arrow and green diagonal-right (thru?) arrow at this rotary intersection in Keene NH. Funny how left on red is illegal in NH, but they sign it so the turn is OK after stop from the U-turn lane. Some states that completely prohibit turns on arrows ban the use of the R10-17 sign completely (CA for example)...

Central Square, Keene NH

The signal kind of reminds me of one of jakeroot's videos where the red arrow + green arrow lights up at the same time for the right turn filter, similar in operation to a 4 section bimodal right turn signal, shown below:

Lovely New England. They've got to separate those signals into two.

iPhone

CJResotko

Weird slip lane signals.

The green arrow phase of these signals occur when southbound Southbridge St has a protected left turn.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2439085,-71.8105231,3a,17.1y,312.97h,99.51t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slCJ4x64exXojon719Pf9tA!2e0!5s20170901T000000!7i13312!8i6656
But yeah this is a pretty odd slip lane signal setup.

Amtrakprod

Revive 755

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 20, 2020, 10:23:19 AM
Right turn slip lane trap:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6535845,-87.738479,3a,75y,204.87h,91.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPV5qdno1yGC375P9mQzI9Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I recall reading about a lawsuit over that right turn movement since it's photo enforced and does not have any supplemental heads.  I don't suppose anyone knows if that case is still pending or was dismissed?

SignBridge

It might be possible to beat a ticket on the grounds that the installation does not meet MUTCD specs. As mentioned by someone earlier, the one visible signal head is well outside the cone-of-vision at the stop line.

jakeroot

The funniest thing to me is how well signalized the intersection otherwise is. All three corners are covered by supplemental signals for each approach (IL only requires near and far-left corners normally), and there is an overhead signal for each approach as well. They just spectacularly dropped the ball with the slip lane. Which is really unlike Illinois, as they normally have one on both sides of a slip lane, and usually one in the median across from the stop line.

If I recall correctly, primary signal faces cannot be on the near-side of an intersection. Thus the primary signal faces for that slip lane would have to be the through signals on the far side of the through approach, way off to the left and far out of the cone of vision. The question is whether signalized slip lanes are required to have their own primary signal faces, separate from the main intersection. If not, the primary far-side signals should be within the cone of vision of the slip lane's stop line. If that's not the case either, how is a driver even supposed to know that there is a signal controlling the slip lane?

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on April 20, 2020, 11:34:04 PM
The funniest thing to me is how well signalized the intersection otherwise is. All three corners are covered by supplemental signals for each approach (IL only requires near and far-left corners normally), and there is an overhead signal for each approach as well. They just spectacularly dropped the ball with the slip lane. Which is really unlike Illinois, as they normally have one on both sides of a slip lane, and usually one in the median across from the stop line.

If I recall correctly, primary signal faces cannot be on the near-side of an intersection. Thus the primary signal faces for that slip lane would have to be the through signals on the far side of the through approach, way off to the left and far out of the cone of vision. The question is whether signalized slip lanes are required to have their own primary signal faces, separate from the main intersection. If not, the primary far-side signals should be within the cone of vision of the slip lane's stop line. If that's not the case either, how is a driver even supposed to know that there is a signal controlling the slip lane?

Yeah, a primary signal face must be at least 40 feet beyond the stop line, and with 20° left or right from a point measured 10 feet behind the center of the approach. This right turn appears to accomplish neither of these. Not sure if a slip lane has to have it's own primary signal face, but given it's a full-on dedicated turn lane, then my hunch tells me that it would need a primary right turn signal face (with whatever control type they wanted). So if they want that movement to be signalized then there ought to be at least one signal head somewhere in the vicinity.

That slip lane needs a yield sign, plain and simple. I'd definitely argue any red light ticket on that one.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.