News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Found this Wisconsin-style 6-aspect signal in Longview, TX, complete with a "Left Turn Yield" blank-out sign.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US71

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 10, 2020, 04:01:41 PM
Found this Wisconsin-style 6-aspect signal in Longview, TX, complete with a "Left Turn Yield" blank-out sign.

Side by side is rare.  It's normally one vertical signal
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Perhaps the first (and maybe only) double-red doghouse/side-by-side?

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2020, 10:07:50 PM

Perhaps the first (and maybe only) double-red doghouse/side-by-side?
May very well be. I scoured Longview for others like it but came back empty-handed.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

fwydriver405

I found a traffic signal in Brewer ME, in which the protected only right turn causes yellow trap on the oncoming permissive left turn when its phase get's recalled. The right turn operates in protected only mode and you can only turn right on the green arrow (ME law prohibits right turn on red arrow), even though traffic on Dirigo Dr is usually super light. And it dosen't even operate as a normal right turn overlap when the cross street gets it's phase...

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 12, 2020, 04:34:17 PM
I found a traffic signal in Brewer ME, in which the protected only right turn causes yellow trap on the oncoming permissive left turn when its phase get's recalled. The right turn operates in protected only mode and you can only turn right on the green arrow (ME law prohibits right turn on red arrow), even though traffic on Dirigo Dr is usually super light. And it dosen't even operate as a normal right turn overlap when the cross street gets it's phase...
I'm sorry, why?

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

US71

Those have been there a long time....30+ years.

Southbound 571

Westbound 4th St

Northbound 571

Eastbound Oak (old 66)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

That is freakin' weird. Why the hell is that light red at all? Who is this light protecting?

Big John

Quote from: US71 on November 12, 2020, 08:23:51 PM

Southbound 571

Westbound 4th St

With the posts too close to the roadway, I'm surprised they didn't get knocked down by traffic.

jakeroot

^^^^
I had to go and locate the signals using Google Maps using the very little information provided ("southbound 571"? "Westbound 4th St"?)

Fortunately there was the street blade in the third image showing "Powers Museum" which took me to...Carthage, MO.

There's a bike lane along the edge of the street, so cars don't end up being that close to the lights.

If you want to see signals close to traffic lanes, just go to BC:

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2020, 12:56:00 PM
^^^^
I had to go and locate the signals using Google Maps using the very little information provided ("southbound 571"? "Westbound 4th St"?)

Fortunately there was the street blade in the third image showing "Powers Museum" which took me to...Carthage, MO.
Hoger showed this a few pages back. Or maybe in a different signal thread.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 13, 2020, 03:08:57 PM
^^^^

Hoger showed this a few pages back. Or maybe in a different signal thread.

I can't remember where, but I remember him sharing them before too. Not until I saw the GSV did I realize it, though.

traffic light guy

Quote from: US71 on November 12, 2020, 08:23:51 PM

Southbound 571

Westbound 4th St

Northbound 571

Eastbound Oak (old 66)

More like 40 plus years old, judging from the heads

steviep24

^^^^

There's a bike lane along the edge of the street, so cars don't end up being that close to the lights.

If you want to see signals close to traffic lanes, just go to BC:

NY 104 at NY 390. The low side mount signals are really close to the traffic lanes here. These were installed here due to an overpass that obstructs the overhead signals which are horizontal.

jeffandnicole

If you want to see traffic lights installed close to traffic, just look at US 130 (among other routes) in NJ.  Poles, some with masts, are installed in a break in the jersey barrier.  Along much of 130 in Camden & Burlington Counties in NJ, the left shoulder is usually less than 2 feet.  A right shoulder doesn't exist.  Speed limits vary, maxing out at 55 mph.

https://goo.gl/maps/9cCXgQbLbPBSBwLU9

https://goo.gl/maps/6Yrfn1LapxKpDzCn8

https://goo.gl/maps/qm1bzzvta4myadtu6

https://goo.gl/maps/zNW8WjH2meVFqmqd8

Note...this was the old-school method NJDOT used.  When intersections are upgraded, they generally place the pole to the right, and go with the Overhead-signal-per-lane method.

An example of old and new school on NJ 73 at Fellowship Road: https://goo.gl/maps/dV2nvrv9Zu6Yr3jW7

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 14, 2020, 04:18:08 PM
If you want to see traffic lights installed close to traffic, just look at US 130 (among other routes) in NJ.  Poles, some with masts, are installed in a break in the jersey barrier.  Along much of 130 in Camden & Burlington Counties in NJ, the left shoulder is usually less than 2 feet.  A right shoulder doesn't exist.  Speed limits vary, maxing out at 55 mph.

The installations in British Columbia have always reminded me of those median signals in New Jersey. The primary difference being that BC still installs them. The one in the above photo was only installed in 2014 (another narrow one installed in 2018; older example showing how the standard hasn't changed). There are other places with median signals, especially those placed to help with visibility, but there's usually a wider median than the few feet we're seeing in these BC and NJ examples.

SignBridge

Ever notice how New Jersey's long mast-arms seem to droop. Some other states build them with a slight upward angle to avoid that.

fwydriver405

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2020, 09:05:15 PM

That is freakin' weird. Why the hell is that light red at all? Who is this light protecting?

At first, I thought it was the oncoming permissive left turn, however, that didn't make sense because the oncoming LT still has to yield to the thru traffic.

Then I thought it was for pedestrians but that also didn't make sense because the one and only crosswalk runs perpendicular to that protected right turn.

At this point, I'm guessing the signal is improperly programmed, or maybe whoever designed and programmed that light may have been accounting for something I'm not aware of.

Then again, as you said, I'm not sure who or what the right turn is being protected against...

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 14, 2020, 08:18:55 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2020, 09:05:15 PM

At first, I thought it was the oncoming permissive left turn, however, that didn't make sense because the oncoming LT still has to yield to the thru traffic.

Then I thought it was for pedestrians but that also didn't make sense because the one and only crosswalk runs perpendicular to that protected right turn.

At this point, I'm guessing the signal is improperly programmed, or maybe whoever designed and programmed that light may have been accounting for something I'm not aware of.

Then again, as you said, I'm not sure who or what the right turn is being protected against...

If you look at older view, the right turn signal is green with thru traffic: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.772048,-68.7293465,3a,19.9y,57.1h,93.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHpGjHKd0kFmmLkvWBt6eJA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

fwydriver405

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 14, 2020, 08:25:31 PM
If you look at older view, the right turn signal is green with thru traffic: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.772048,-68.7293465,3a,19.9y,57.1h,93.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHpGjHKd0kFmmLkvWBt6eJA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

I'm guessing one of two things in that scenario:
1. The camera car triggered the sensor for the green arrow to appear.
2. The right turn was programmed concurrently with the thru signals at the time of that capture.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

fwydriver405

Time-of-day based left turn in Independence, Ohio at Rockside Rd to the SB I-77 on-ramp. Single lane protected-permissive left turn, and double lane protected only left turn. Notice the 4 section signal to the right of the FYA. Not sure if the arrow is bimodal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3968064,-81.6533776,3a,20.6y,301.27h,92.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soKiZ4oskn3_v0ysO3554mw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 15, 2020, 11:06:21 AM
Time-of-day based left turn in Independence, Ohio at Rockside Rd to the SB I-77 on-ramp. Single lane protected-permissive left turn, and double lane protected only left turn. Notice the 4 section signal to the right of the FYA. Not sure if the arrow is bimodal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3968064,-81.6533776,3a,20.6y,301.27h,92.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soKiZ4oskn3_v0ysO3554mw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

You can see the FYA in operation here while the #2 lane is set to straight-ahead.

That's an odd setup. Looks like the 4-section shared signal has a three orb setup with a green arrow on the bottom. This isn't really ideal, as when it's set to left turn mode, it displays a red orb as you've shown in your link. During straight-ahead mode, it looks acceptable with a standard green orb. Seems the only way to make it compliant would be to use a blank out "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign.

In my area, when the left turn becomes busy enough that it needs a second lane, it is either made into a double permissive left or a double protected left. I'd love if anyone in the Cleveland area could describe a bit more about this setup and why it was necessary.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2020, 12:11:24 PM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on November 15, 2020, 11:06:21 AM

You can see the FYA in operation here while the #2 lane is set to straight-ahead.

That's an odd setup. Looks like the 4-section shared signal has a three orb setup with a green arrow on the bottom. This isn't really ideal, as when it's set to left turn mode, it displays a red arrow orb as you've shown in your link. During straight-ahead mode, it looks acceptable with a standard green orb. Seems the only way to make it compliant would be to use a blank out "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign.

In my area, when the left turn becomes busy enough that it needs a second lane, it is either made into a double permissive left or a double protected left. I'd love if anyone in the Cleveland area could describe a bit more about this setup and why it was necessary.

FTFY, Jakeroot

They could probably make this semi-compliant with louvers on the circular red and yellow sections, but the blank out "Left turn signal" idea is probably best.

I think this is a somewhat clever setup. I can think of a location near me where a similar use case could potentially be beneficial.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.