News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illiana Corridor progress

Started by Rick Powell, February 11, 2012, 01:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 02, 2015, 08:54:44 PM
Google IDOT and Illiana and pretty much take your pick.

That's not a direct link. So in short, no you can't find it
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stratuscaster

What kind of studies are showing that the Hypotenuse Expressway would resolve "five or six" major bottlenecks?

It might reduce some traffic issues, but I do not believe it would resolve any of them.

As one that used to live in Champaign and that traveled I-72, it works very well for it's intent and purpose. Not every Interstate is - or should be - jam packed with traffic.

Why would the railroads be up for financing ANY part of this? What do they get out of the deal?

dzlsabe

There are NO Hypotenuse studies that Im aware of. Thats the point. There may be some Crosstown studies that are relevant for the southern portion.

I-72 is the poster child for NOT traveled.

What do RRs get? Two? new grade separated thru rail lines from CN on the west to NS on the east for use by them all. A possible additional source for CREATE funding.

Its simple. The population of IDOT D1 (last #s I could find) without Will County is 7,684,000. Will is 632K. IDOT D3 is 614K. If you want Illiana or Peotone to move forward, get Will into D3. Then youll have access to a whole different bucket of funds and be able to move these turkeys forward (or not). Then D1 will be able to focus on the dozens and dozens of more worthy projects that are needed where the overwhelming majority of people live, instead of sponging precious funds and time on these two very rural distractions that affect very few people.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Revive 755

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 03, 2015, 11:56:29 AMI-72 is the poster child for NOT traveled.

An ADT of 14,000 is not traveled?

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 03, 2015, 11:56:29 AMIts simple. The population of IDOT D1 (last #s I could find) without Will County is 7,684,000. Will is 632K. IDOT D3 is 614K.

So?  Per Google, Kane County's population is only 523,643.  McHenry County only has 301,409.  Why is Will County more worthy of being sent to another IDOT district than those counties?

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 03, 2015, 11:56:29 AMThen D1 will be able to focus on the dozens and dozens of more worthy projects that are needed where the overwhelming majority of people live, instead of sponging precious funds and time on these two very rural distractions that affect very few people.

Let's take this one step farther and stop funding the roads the roads in the "rural distractions" that bring goods into Chicago, and see how well Chicago does then.

dzlsabe

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 03, 2015, 08:43:07 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on November 03, 2015, 11:56:29 AMI-72 is the poster child for NOT traveled.

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 03, 2015, 11:56:29 AMIts simple. The population of IDOT D1 (last #s I could find) without Will County is 7,684,000. Will is 632K. IDOT D3 is 614K.

So?  Per Google, Kane County's population is only 523,643.  McHenry County only has 301,409.  Why is Will County more worthy of being sent to another IDOT district than those counties?

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 03, 2015, 11:56:29 AMThen D1 will be able to focus on the dozens and dozens of more worthy projects that are needed where the overwhelming majority of people live, instead of sponging precious funds and time on these two very rural distractions that affect very few people.

Let's take this one step farther and stop funding the roads the roads in the "rural distractions" that bring goods into Chicago, and see how well Chicago does then.
So thats 15 -30 VPM on the worst hours ever. Thats barely traveled. You could land and fly a plane on I-72 at night.

Kane Co has I-90 going thru it. Mchenry has the straightest rail Ive seen going all the way to Janesville, Madison and beyond. METRA could do well with a few trains a day going to and fro Ohare.

Will in D3 would double its scope (what do those people do all day?) If Willco wasnt defunding D1s funds what would we do? Have a party?
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Brandon

He's a myopic twit.

Will County can live without Chicago,  Chicago cannot live without Will County.

We produce their electricity: Dresden and Braidwood nuclear power plants are here.  There are none in Cook County.

We produce their fuel.  Both ExxonMobil and Citgo are here.  The other is in Lake County, Indiana.  Cook County has no refining capacity.

We connect them to the Mississippi River.

We also have the two largest intermodal yards in the region.

Yet, we get ignored by D1 and told we should be in D3.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

What the hell is the Hypotenuse Expressway, and could someone draw a map of where it would go? I never heard of such a proposal before.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dcharlie

Quote from: Henry on November 04, 2015, 10:40:19 AM
What the hell is the Hypotenuse Expressway, and could someone draw a map of where it would go? I never heard of such a proposal before.

I think that is here:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10605.25  .  Probably should be in fictional...

The Ghostbuster

Will there ever be an expressway in the Illiana Corridor? Or will it only be built in Fictional Highways?

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 04, 2015, 03:00:18 PM
Will there ever be an expressway in the Illiana Corridor? Or will it only be built in Fictional Highways?

Depends.  If Rahm Emmanuel has his way, no.  (That's the only reason CMAP rejected it - filled with Rahm's lackeys.)  If Will County has its way, yes.  And yes, I have picked sides (see my location as to why).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 04, 2015, 12:51:01 AM

So thats 15 -30 VPM on the worst hours ever. Thats barely traveled. You could land and fly a plane on I-72 at night.

You could say that to any rural interstate in Illinois except I-55 and I-90...

Clinched:

Revive 755

Kane Co has I-90 going thru it. Mchenry has the straightest rail Ive seen going all the way to Janesville, Madison and beyond.

Using that logic, Will County should remain part of D1 since it has I-80 (major crossing country intestate and I-55 (major trucking corridor between Los Angeles and Chicagoland), both of which have much higher truck counts than I-90.  Additionally, Will County contains the BNSF transcon line, much more important the UP line through McHenry County (which doesn't even make it onto maps of major rail lines and only sees three freights per day per the ICC).

Depending what the county does, you could see an expressway as defined by downstate standards - four lanes divided with at grade access allowed, maybe a traffic signal or two at the some of the major cross roads.

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on November 04, 2015, 05:35:17 PM

I dare you to do it on I-80 as well, LOL!  :-D

dzlsabe

Quote from: Brandon on November 04, 2015, 04:23:13 PM

Depends.  If Rahm Emmanuel has his way, no.  (That's the only reason CMAP rejected it - filled with Rahm's lackeys.)  If Will County has its way, yes.  And yes, I have picked sides (see my location as to why).
Theres loads of reasons it was rejected. Start with low traffic count and NO tollway funders (who basically like EVERY tollway project ever, but not this ONE). Then theres putting every other project in D1 on hold to finance(and the huge possibility of holding the bag forever) this downstate turkey.

Get Willco into D3 and there may be an icebergs chance in hell. As long as theyre in D1...NO WAY!

Brandon

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 05, 2015, 12:05:02 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 04, 2015, 04:23:13 PM

Theres loads of reasons it was rejected. Start with low traffic count and NO tollway funders (who basically like EVERY tollway project ever, but not this ONE). Then theres putting every other project in D1 on hold to finance(and huge possibility of holding the bag forever) this downstate turkey.

Get Willco into D3 and there may be an icebergs chance in hell. As long as theyre in D3...NO WAY!

Um, we're not downstate, dipwad.  The ONLY reason it got rejected by CMAP was that Rahm's people were on the board.  Read the actual stories about it instead of holing up in Crook County.

Henry

Quote from: dcharlie on November 04, 2015, 11:21:59 AM
I just saw that, and that has to be the craziest thing I've ever heard of!

I think that is here:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10605.25  .  Probably should be in fictional...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on November 04, 2015, 07:25:40 PM
Quote from: ET21 on November 04, 2015, 05:35:17 PM

I dare you to do it on I-80 as well, LOL!  :-D

No see you try and land on the moving trucks. Bonus points if it's auto-carriers or wide loads  :) :)

Clinched:

The Ghostbuster

If the Illiana Corridor is constructed, will it have a highway designation added? Or will it just be signed as Illiana Expressway?

Brandon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 05, 2015, 04:39:46 PM
If the Illiana Corridor is constructed, will it have a highway designation added? Or will it just be signed as Illiana Expressway?

No idea as of yet, but it could be either I- or IL/IN- x55/x57/x65, judging from past such roads: IL-394, IL-390, IN-469 (prior to becoming an interstate).

silverback1065

i always thought it would be X55

johndoe780

Quote from: Henry on November 05, 2015, 12:15:26 PM

This is such a stupid "hypothetical" highway.

If you're going west on 90 to get to 294, why not just take 80 to 294 north to begin with? Most commuters are going towards the direction of downtown in the first place and the only people who would be heading in that direction (this hypothetical highway) would be travellers or trucks.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2015, 05:23:53 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 05, 2015, 04:39:46 PM

No idea as of yet, but it could be either I- or IL/IN- x55/x57/x65, judging from past such roads: IL-394, IL-390, IN-469 (prior to becoming an interstate).
More like TOLL IL/IN- x55/x57/x65 and the local news / bill broads will call it I-x55/x57/x65

Stratuscaster

Extend it back to I-80 on each end and it could easily be an I-x80.

dzlsabe

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 05, 2015, 08:53:53 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 05, 2015, 12:15:26 PM

This is such a stupid "hypothetical" highway.

If you're going west on 90 to get to 294, why not just take 80 to 294 north to begin with? Most commuters are going towards the direction of downtown in the first place and the only people who would be heading in that direction (this hypothetical highway) would be travellers or trucks.
Stupid, crazy? Most commuters going downtown? Ah,NO? "The only people that would use it are travelers and trucks" (and trains trying to get thru Chicago in an hour). Yeah? That would be horrible? Heres the MAP  http://imgur.com/u9L0fFx Got one word for you. HYPOTENUSE (now in Fictional). Pythagoras rolls in his grave. We deny Euclidian geometry at our misery and peril. :banghead:

Illiana would be I-480. Good luck wit dat.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 06, 2015, 02:26:12 AM

Sorry about the map. It was modified by someone that was comprehensionally-challenged.

Ouch, dude. Ouch.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.