News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mississippi Railroad Crossing STOP Law?

Started by Brian556, February 15, 2012, 12:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Does or did Miss. actually have a law requiring all vehicles to stop at railroad crossings?
What is the story behind this "STOP STATE LAW" sign?
West Point, Miss. 1977

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Brian:  not to my knowledge.  State law dating back to 1938 allows the highway commission to erect stop signs at railroad crossings.  Though it's a very strange version in this photo, that's basically what this is.

DeaconG

That picture had me thrown when I first saw it..."does that mean that ALL traffic has to stop at a railroad intersection INCLUDING THE TRAIN?" :-D :pan: :spin:
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cbalducc

I remember seeing those signs back in the 1970s when I was a wee lad in the Magnolia State. :nod:
I think they were likely to be found where gravel roads crossed railroads.  Sometimes they may have been alone without the crossbuck shown in the photo.
I think there is one still in this county, although covered in black paint at a railroad crossing where the track is in place but hasn't been used in years.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on February 15, 2012, 12:51:26 AM
There's still at least one in the wild: http://www.flickr.com/photos/boysquadxyz/6290798936/
neato!

I know of one in Alabama with similar intent.  standard yellow octagon that says "ALABAMA/STOP/LAW".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ClarkE

Quote from: DeaconG on February 15, 2012, 03:14:02 PM
That picture had me thrown when I first saw it..."does that mean that ALL traffic has to stop at a railroad intersection INCLUDING THE TRAIN?" :-D :pan: :spin:

Reminds me of the Kentucky law that says no vehicle can cut through a passing funeral procession, but then makes a specific exception that says the law doesn't apply if the vehicle is a locomotive!

cjk374

I actually read the MUTCD concerning this topic.  Many new crossbuck installations in Louisiana have YIELD signs posted below the crossbucks instead of STOP signs.  The MUTCD states that the reason for YIELD instead of STOP signs is to not diminish the importance of STOP signs.  However, a STOP sign can be installed if sight distance of a train is limited (curves, adjacent tracks with other rail activity, etc.)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

msubulldog

I may have noticed a couple in 1975 when my family was driving west on US 90 between Pascagoula and Gulfport, on our way to San Antonio.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Brian556 on February 15, 2012, 12:11:45 AM
Does or did Miss. actually have a law requiring all vehicles to stop at railroad crossings?
What is the story behind this "STOP STATE LAW" sign?
West Point, Miss. 1977

My first trip through the southeast in 1976 took me through Mississippi. They had this sign even at crossings that had crossing signals. Nobody else stopped, so I didn't. That, and other Mississippi signage practices, had me convinced I had regressed 30 years (in which case I wouldn't have been born yet).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.