News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Los Angeles street sign or Illuminated signs for sale?

Started by bulkyorled, April 10, 2012, 12:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulkyorled

I've started a small street name and local freeway route sign collection and I'm looking to expand it. I've only got 5 signs and I'm looking for more!  :-D

After seeing the other thread I thought I'd make my own since it's a bit different what I'm actually looking for. What I'm looking for would be the trapezoid Los Angeles street signs such as these;

However Im not looking for Hollywood Blvd, I'm more interested in these streets:
Victory, Burbank, Sunland, Foothill, Olympic, Parthenia or Stathern

Also Im interested in CA 14 or CA I-210 shields

As for the illuminated street signs, these might be a bit harder to come by. I'm talking about these types for those who aren't sure:

Color/city doesnt matter but the more plain the better and working condition doesn't matter. It's a bit difficult to come by due to how the company who does most of them operates. NuArt Lighting usually has a third party contractor come out and do maintenance and if they're being replaced or taken down they take them with them to be recycled however I have seen people with them so it must be possible somehow right?  :hmmm: Thanks for any help or direction anyone can give me too!
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Scott5114

Regarding CA-14 and I-210 shields...check eBay. You might be able to find some there. If not, you can probably contact one of Caltrans's signage contractors and have them make one up for you. If you don't really care about the authenticity (I assume you do though given you're looking for illuminated signs of all things) and want to do it on the cheap just grab the SVGs from Wikipedia and give them to a commercial signage place that does signs for businesses.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bulkyorled

Oh yea I'd rather have an authentic one.
The only one I think I might have to skimp on would be the illuminated one. For one thing they're expensive as it is for just the bulky florescent ones that most cities have. My last resort would probably be to contact NuArt and see if they can point me to the direction of their contractors, since the cities I went to asking about them weren't about to just give away a used one.

Except Burbank, they were a tick away from just letting me raid their sign warehouse but they didn't have any illuminated ones that weren't being used :(

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Scott5114

Ask to raid the warehouse anyway! You never know what might be lurking in there...

bulkyorled

I'm probably gonna go ask if I can again sometime soon. I didn't ask for more than the illuminated ones and I had my mind set on that. They recently changed their metal residential street name signs so they could possibly have a few left over I'd like to snag.

agentsteel53

I have an I-210 shield coming to me.  42x36 - freeway reassurance.

as I am getting it for free from someone who had a few extra signs and wants them to go to "a good home", I'd be happy to give it to you for only the delivery cost.  I go through LA all the time; if you're close enough to my route, you'd get it for free.

If you are interested email me at jake@aaroads.com
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bulkyorled

I'll mail you about it! I can even drive to your route if it meant for free! haha  :bigass:

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 10, 2012, 11:13:36 AM
I have an I-210 shield coming to me.  42x36 - freeway reassurance.

as I am getting it for free from someone who had a few extra signs and wants them to go to "a good home", I'd be happy to give it to you for only the delivery cost.  I go through LA all the time; if you're close enough to my route, you'd get it for free.

If you are interested email me at jake@aaroads.com
I'd be happy to ask what other signs are free D:

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on April 10, 2012, 06:32:12 PM

I'm picking them up on April 29th.  I believe there's an I-710, a US-101, a CA-118, and some others.  all modern Cal spec, so they're cutouts. 

jake@aaroads.com

bulkyorled

Well I wouldn't want to get greedy so I'd be happy with just the 210 one.

nexus73

The one I would like to get would be the US 101 sign.  See my icon?  101 and my family's connection to it goes back to before there was a 101.  I have lived within a block of it for the better part of my life.  Every single inch, from Olympia to the 4-Level in LA has been driven by me.  It is my favorite highway!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bulkyorled

I rather like the 101 too except through the edge of the San Fernando Valley that goes into the other side of the mountain. Plus it's the only white shield anywhere near me anymore, and also one of the very few in California I believe. Other than the 395 and 97 at the top of the state, I dont know another one haha I don't get the opportunity to leave LA a whole lot..

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 10, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 10, 2012, 06:32:12 PM

I'm picking them up on April 29th.  I believe there's an I-710, a US-101, a CA-118, and some others.  all modern Cal spec, so they're cutouts. 

I'm interested too, especially for just S&H cost... don't have any signs from out of state except a stop sign from MO, so a CA sign would be nice to add to the wall!

hm insulators

Quote from: nexus73 on April 10, 2012, 11:54:18 PM
The one I would like to get would be the US 101 sign.  See my icon?  101 and my family's connection to it goes back to before there was a 101.  I have lived within a block of it for the better part of my life.  Every single inch, from Olympia to the 4-Level in LA has been driven by me.  It is my favorite highway!

Rick

Back before there was I-5, US 101 actually went all the way down to the Mexican border. A very long time ago, Whittier Boulevard was the route for quite a ways, then it went down Harbor Boulevard to Santa Ana. There are bits and pieces of old US 101 along the coast in San Diego County, too.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

nexus73

Quote from: hm insulators on April 24, 2012, 04:35:06 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on April 10, 2012, 11:54:18 PM

Rick

Back before there was I-5, US 101 actually went all the way down to the Mexican border. A very long time ago, Whittier Boulevard was the route for quite a ways, then it went down Harbor Boulevard to Santa Ana. There are bits and pieces of old US 101 along the coast in San Diego County, too.

I knew that! *grin*  The last alignment was what is currently I-5 and I drove that section too.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

blawp

Seeing how I live in Thousand Oaks, I feel I'm deserving of that 101 shield.

agentsteel53

Quote from: blawp on April 26, 2012, 01:15:08 AM

all the signs have been claimed :)

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 26, 2012, 11:43:12 AM
Quote from: blawp on April 26, 2012, 01:15:08 AM

all the signs have been claimed :)

Am I one of the lucky claimants?

Rick

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Okay. My hitman will be down there quickly too...LOL!

Rick

bulkyorled

wooo thanks Jake! Got my 210 Shield :)

agentsteel53

you're welcome!

distributed a 210 and a 710 in person, as they were the huge ones. 

I'll be mailing out the 118 and the 101 to the lucky recipients. 

I've also got a US-50 (30x30, I think) and a US-95 (24x24).  both California cutouts.  up for grabs.  nexus73 gets first choice as he did want a sign, then whomever else.

I'm keeping the 66  :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Agentsteel, please go ahead and give the US 50 and US 95 signs to someone who has a real connection to those highways.  Should you ever run across another US 101 sign, I hope you will be able to send it my way.  That's my "home road"!

Rick

roadfro

US 50 & US 95 shields have piqued my interest...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on May 09, 2012, 05:34:34 AM
US 50 & US 95 shields have piqued my interest...

95 is gone.

50 is a large sign, so the best way to work with that one is an in-person delivery.  I might be driving close to Reno this upcoming weekend.  can you meet in the Tahoe area?

email me at jake@aaroads.com and we can coordinate.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.