Treasure trove of vintage KY cutout route markers discovered

Started by hbelkins, April 10, 2012, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Our traffic engineer made quite a discovery recently at the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's Department of Highways District 10 traffic garage. He found a large number (around three dozen) old Kentucky circular cutout route markers. These were used until sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s before being replaced with the square black signs with the circle inside them. I recall having seen cutouts posted in the field well into the late 1960s.

These signs appear to be of four different types. One has the word "KENTUCKY" across it. The other types have the abbreviation KY. One has the abbreviation, the outline and the route numbers stamped. One has only the abbreviation and the outline stamped and the numbers silk-screened. One has everything silk-screened.

Most of these appear to be from Morgan County, although there were a couple each from Estill, Perry and Powell Counties. There is one sign that never posted in the field; all the rest appear to have been removed and replaced with newer signage.

These signs are going to be used for wall decorations in offices and common areas in the highway district office. I have a KY 1571 cutout from Estill County on my wall.

There were quite a few signs from certain route numbers and only one example from a few other routes. I took pictures of several of them today and will be posting them on the Millennium Highway Facebook page when I get them off the camera.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

They should post them as actual reassurance markers. I doubt motorists would find them any less readable than the current ones.

Ian

Quote from: Quillz on April 10, 2012, 10:19:08 PM
They should post them as actual reassurance markers. I doubt motorists would find them any less readable than the current ones.

If they aren't willing to do that, you could also sell some of them to some sign collectors.  :bigass:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

very cool!

can you post some photos, please?  I'd like to see all the varieties. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 10, 2012, 10:55:16 PM
very cool!

can you post some photos, please?  I'd like to see all the varieties. 

They're on my camera, along with photos I took at a public meeting tonight. I'll be getting them off the camera tomorrow and hopefully will have them posted by tomorrow evening.

hbelkins

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.302472599820792.66397.106995132701874&type=1

You don't have to be a member of Facebook to view. I put these on my work page but have linked to the Millennium Highway page as well as my personal FB page, so if you are a fan of MillHwy or a friend of mine, you will have seen the "share."

ctsignguy

Cool batch.....and yeah, if they have any extra 4-di shields, i'll be glad to give one of them a good home!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.