News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Y-shaped driveways

Started by Scott5114, April 15, 2012, 10:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Lately I've noticed a lot of new stores and restaurants and such in my area have triangular medians installed in their driveways, creating a Y-shaped driveway. Since each branch of the Y is one lane, the intended effect appears to be forcing only right turns into and out of the driveway. (However, since there is usually no signage to accompany this, people will often turn left upon exiting anyway.)

Does this setup occur in your area? Why did it proliferate so suddenly?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DaBigE

We've had a handful installed.  Usually, however, they're promoted by the municipality in order to control access and improve safety.  In that regard, they have been properly signed as part of the local requirements.  I haven't seen too many (any) put in voluntarily as merchants usually want as much access as they can possibly get, and then some.

Either way, no matter how much signage is or is not placed, median or no median, some drivers are hell-bent on making the turn they want to make.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brian556

There are some like this in our area. Many are done this way because they are close to an intersection; and left turns into/out of them would be unsafe. Most are signed properly. However, the one at Autozone on US 77 in Denton is not signed at all; and morons always go the wrong way.

Perfxion

Around Houston a lot of those are put in on the feeder roads, but since its one way road, its kind of pointless.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

realjd

They use those around here to help enforce right-turn-only (with no-left-turn signage), or to put a barrier in a long series of right turn lanes so people don't use them for through traffic.

Alps

Some have it, some don't. No idea why they would bother, it's extra expense to the business. The only place it makes sense is on a higher-speed roadway when you have RIRO, and plenty of these places are not on higher-speed roadways.

NE2

It's part of access management, required by the government in exchange for adding driveway access. Traffic flows better when you can't just turn left anywhere.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bsmart

They probably do it because they are required to by the local highway department. I'm on the local Planning Commission and I know that on our Main Street (US 40A) SHA isgoing to require a couple properties to have Right turn only exits and entrances when they are developed

D-Dey65

A friend of my family has one, because there a huge utility pole in the middle of the driveway.

Duke87

You know, I never considered that it might be municipally required. I always assumed that managing a private driveway was entirely up to the owner.

In my experience this strategy is typically only employed when there is another exit (usually onto a side street) which allows the missing movements, or when the road has a median barrier such that all businesses on the other side require a U-turn to get to.

Respect for them varies by jurisdiction... in New Jersey people do not. In Connecticut people usually do, though there are quirks. There's a McDonalds on US 1 in Stamford (CT) which has this treatment on its main driveway. The exit is marked with a "no left turn" sign. The corresponding entrance is not. As such, you will see people willingly making left turns into this driveway, but left turns out of it, not so much. This is also helped by the fact that the way the driveway is shaped and the way the street is striped mean that making a left turn out of the driveway is blatantly against geometry but making a left turn into it is not unintuitive.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

I doubt there's any law against turning left at one of these without the proper signage. Otherwise you couldn't turn left at a Y intersection.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

But see, there's no need for the island on a low-speed road if you just put up a pair of signs - NLT from the street, NLT from the driveway.

Scott5114

Well, yes, but some people need the extra reminder. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Darkchylde

A business that just opened up near my place has one of those.

I ignore it going in. It's too much of a hassle to fight the traffic on the other road with the traditional entrance. Don't need to ignore it leaving, as it's a right turn to my place.

txstateends

A new shopping center in Dallas (http://g.co/maps/qtxpb) has a Y-driveway off a cloverleaf between Loop 12 and Skillman St.  A jersey barrier was installed between the cloverleaf lanes so no one exiting the shopping center driveway would exit left, only right.  The driveway was supposedly controversial as none was there before, and the original shopping center layout called for only access from Loop 12 and from Skillman directly.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

bsmart

Quote from: Steve on April 16, 2012, 08:31:04 PM
But see, there's no need for the island on a low-speed road if you just put up a pair of signs - NLT from the street, NLT from the driveway.

Sure, people ALWAYS pay attention to traffic signs.  Even with Islands, and signs, and even big white arrows on the pavement there are some people who come in what is obviously the outbound chute because it will save them a few seconds.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2012, 10:38:50 PMLately I've noticed a lot of new stores and restaurants and such in my area have triangular medians installed in their driveways, creating a Y-shaped driveway. Since each branch of the Y is one lane, the intended effect appears to be forcing only right turns into and out of the driveway. (However, since there is usually no signage to accompany this, people will often turn left upon exiting anyway.)

I haven't noticed any in Wichita, but this is mainly because I tend to avoid the areas of town (and we do have them) that are being considered for access management measures.

QuoteDoes this setup occur in your area? Why did it proliferate so suddenly?

Access management has become fashionable.  TRB now has an Access Management Manual (and accompanying software distribution which can be obtained on CD or downloaded) that came out about five years ago and is, I think, still available from their website.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 17, 2012, 09:44:39 AM
I haven't noticed any in Wichita, but this is mainly because I tend to avoid the areas of town (and we do have them) that are being considered for access management measures.

The one that came immediately to mind was the Walgreens at Douglas and Hillside.  The entrance immediately to the south of the interscetion has a wye intended to discourage left turns.  There are no signs, and people routinely ignore the suggestion (and a suggestion is all it is, as it's quite small).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

We have thousands of these around Chicagoland.  Usually, the engineers call them "porkchops" due to the shape of the island to regulate traffic flow.  Unless there is a barrier separating the two sides of the roads, undoubtedly, even with signage, people try to turn left into them and out of them.  The Chicago attitude with them that I've seen tends to be "I want to turn into the driveway, but there's a no left turn sign there.  Ah, fuck them, I'll turn left anyway."
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2012, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 17, 2012, 09:44:39 AM

The one that came immediately to mind was the Walgreens at Douglas and Hillside.  The entrance immediately to the south of the interscetion has a wye intended to discourage left turns.  There are no signs, and people routinely ignore the suggestion (and a suggestion is all it is, as it's quite small).

Make that Central and Hillside.  D'oh!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

BamaZeus

We have a few of those around the city, yet it doesn't stop anyone from trying to turn left across 6 lanes of traffic to go the other way.  *Facepalm*

UptownRoadGeek

We have them around NOLA, but I don't see the point since you usually can only enter and exit right around here anyway. It's rare to be able to turn left into or out of something.

kendancy66

The house I grew up in had an h shaped driveway

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.