News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Discovery arriving at the Smithsonian

Started by hobsini2, April 20, 2012, 05:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/546300_10150937521848066_688823065_13003967_1582049862_n.jpg

A friend of mine post this pic on facebook of the space shuttle Discovery being piggy backed as it lands at Dulles Airport.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

1995hoo

I went down to the hill by the Netherlands Carillon and got this batch. It's really impressive to see it in person and pictures simply do not do it justice. We've all seen Boeing 747s many times, but seeing one with a space shuttle perched on top is something totally different.

The following image is a small portion of the sixth picture above. I excised a 1024 x 768 portion to show that portion of the picture at full size instead of reducing it for upload.

Finally....I did not take these next two (they're NASA images), but I sure wish I could have. In the second one, Enterprise is on the left and Discovery is on the right:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Wow, great shots!

Once the shuttles are all at their designated museums, we'll never see images like these ever again.  Strapping one of those bad boys onto a 747 is objectively cool and was the one aspect of the shuttle program that really impressed me as a child.  Like that was icing on the cake.  It's was cool enough that these things rocketed into outer space and landed like airplanes, but to see that set up where it's like a double airplane; man that was a young boy's gateway drug into astronomy.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.