News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interesting Article On Quanity Of Detergent In Gasoline

Started by SteveG1988, April 20, 2012, 06:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2011/may/22/pressure-pump-gas-detergent-Shell-BP-Exxon-testing/

Scripps tests compare level of beneficial detergent in different companies' gas

By Isaac Wolf of Scripps Howard News Service
Published Sunday, May 22, 2011

Buying the cheapest gasoline will keep a few extra cents in your pocket now, but it may cost you down the road.

That's because national gasoline brands differ widely in their levels of crucial engine-cleaning detergent additives, Scripps Howard News Service has found.

The additives remove carbon deposits that can impair engine efficiency, reduce gas mileage and increase harmful emissions – sometimes enough for a car to fail emissions testing.

Complicating the issue: The federal Environmental Protection Agency's minimum requirement for the additives is woefully low and outdated, some automakers and fuel experts contend.

Since 1995, the EPA has required retailers to sell gasoline with at least a few drops of detergent per gallon – enough to keep deposit buildup on a test car to less than 100 milligrams per intake valve over 10,000 miles of driving.

"The sensitivity of modern engines is much higher than it was 10 or 15 years ago,"  said Keith Corkwell, a manager for Lubrizol Corp., an Ohio-based chemicals company.

He said the science behind the EPA rule dates to the 1980s: "We don't make engines that look like that any more. The technologies have changed."

Officials at the EPA's Washington headquarters didn't respond to numerous interview requests made since February.

To gauge the differences in detergent levels, Scripps commissioned a test of gasoline from five national brands: BP, CITGO, Exxon, Pilot (sold at travel centers in 43 states) and Shell.

One-gallon samples of both regular unleaded and premium fuel were collected in metropolitan Detroit on March 10 and analyzed by Paragon Laboratories, an independent, certified testing facility in Livonia, Mich.

Paragon tested each of the 10 samples, measuring the residue left when gas is boiled away. This "unwashed gum"  serves as evidence of detergent. Theoretically, the more gum residue, the more detergent – and the better the gasoline.

The findings:

■ Among samples of regular unleaded gasoline (those with an octane rating of 87), Exxon had the highest level of additives (20.0 milligrams per 100 milliliters), closely followed by BP (17.2 mg) and Shell (16.2 mg). Trailing substantially were CITGO (6.0 mg) and Pilot (5.8 mg).

■ Among premium fuels (92 or 93 octane), Shell took the top spot (31.0 mg), followed by BP (26.4 mg) and Exxon (21.2 mg). CITGO (9.4 mg) and Pilot 92 (8.8 mg) lagged behind the other three brands – including the trio's regular gasoline samples.

The Scripps test shows that "the major brands like Exxon, Shell and BP all had good amounts of detergent,"  said Sal Rand, one of several fuels experts who reviewed the results. Rand retired from the Texaco Research Center.

Exxon premium scored just slightly above its regular gasoline, suggesting the company provides a similar amount of additives across its fuel lineup, said Bob Furey, a fuels industry consultant who used to work for General Motors Corp.

Detergent amounts in the regular Exxon, BP and Shell samples likely would help keep engines clean, Furey said.

It's impossible to tell how lower detergent levels could affect a particular vehicle, he added. Those with more than 100,000 miles tend to need more detergent, as do newer, more sophisticated models. Some can function with little detergent; all would benefit from having more.

Detergent adds 1 to 2 cents per gallon to a gas company's production costs, Rand and Furey said.

The residue test can't determine conclusively whether samples meet the federal minimum detergent requirement, which is based in part on detergent quality, not just quantity, Furey said. The Scripps test didn't measure quality.

Rand, who worked extensively with CITGO, said he expected the Venezuelan company to use more additives: "I am surprised to see their detergency levels are a little bit lower than the majors."

CITGO ensures quality through random checks, said Alan Flagg, a marketing manager.

A vice president of Pilot's parent company, Pilot Flying J of Knoxville, Tenn., said its gas blends meet EPA requirements: "That is the standard we use,"  Alan Wright said. "We don't put in extra."

BP spokesman Scott Dean said his brand uses far more detergent than federal rules require.

Representatives for Exxon, part of Exxon Mobil Corp., and Shell didn't respond to interview requests.

The Scripps test provides a single-day snapshot of relatively few samples in a single market. It replicates the approach the auto industry takes on a much broader scale, quietly conducting hundreds of spot-checks nationwide a year. But the industry doesn't publicly share its findings.

A dirty engine, often imperceptible to drivers, has tangible effects, said Bill Studzinski, head of GM's fuels team. It can cut gas mileage by up to 2 percent and increase emissions – sometimes enough so a car will fail emissions testing.

GM pays attention to cleaning additives because sometimes "we'll get a rash of warranty problems related to low detergency,"  Studzinski said.

Troy Green, national spokesman for the AAA auto club, said there is "very little difference, if any"  among detergent quality across gasoline brands because of EPA's minimum standard.

The EPA requires gas distributors to keep records on how much additive they use, according to agency documents posted in the Federal Register.

Detergent gets added to generic or "base"  fuel at regional distribution centers. When a 9,000-gallon tanker fills up with gasoline, electronic equipment dispenses a calibrated dose – from one to five gallons, depending on the brand, said Corkwell, of Lubrizol, a leading supplier of detergent additives.

Some engineers, automakers and fuel experts say the EPA's minimum requirement is outmoded and far below the amount newer vehicles' fuel-efficient engines need to run cleanly.

When a gas company or chemical maker wants EPA approval for a new additive, the chemical must be tested for 10,000 miles on a 1985 BMW 318i with automatic transmission, Corkwell said.

"These cars are literally antiques. The EPA needs to think about reviewing this (regulation),'' Corkwell said.

The EPA rule is outdated and should to be revisited, agreed Marie Valentine, an engineer for Toyota – the world's largest automaker – at its technical center in Ann Arbor, Mich. She said in an email that auto industry fuels experts raised this concern at a March meeting with EPA representatives.

The EPA, while declining multiple interview requests, issued a statement to the contrary.

"Currently, we don't have data that indicate that our detergent regulations aren't sufficient to provide adequate emissions performance,"  spokeswoman Catherine C. Milbourn wrote in an April 18 email.

Ironically, after the EPA set its minimum, some gas companies reduced their detergent additive levels, automakers claim.

So, in 2004, several automakers formed a consortium to set more stringent detergent requirements and certify companies that meet its standards. The Top Tier Detergent Gasoline consortium now includes BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi.

More than 20 U.S. fuel brands, including Exxon and Shell, have received the Top Tier designation.

Not Pilot.

When the Top Tier program started, "not all of our suppliers could make the extra additive available to us,"  said Wright, of Pilot Travel Centers. "We felt that if we couldn't offer a higher level to everyone, we just wouldn't deviate from the required standard. In addition, we were not receiving many requests from our customers.

"That is not to say we would never consider"  raising the detergent additive level, Wright added.

Top Tier is beefing up its rules. Originally, the consortium required only that gas company executives sign pledges that their fuel met its performance standards. Now, Studzinski said, it's instituting more rigorous testing and verification standards.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

nexus73

No free air. No free maps.  Now I read how there's less detergent in some fuels.  In the meantime, Big Oil sticks it to us with multiple tens of billions in profits per megacorp and then add in what commodity speculators and local jobbers can grab.

Is it any wonder so many different agencies and organizations declined to comment?

The chickens will come home to roost some day and it won't be pretty.  Ask the kulaks.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

No free air???  I've never been turned down when I asked a station attendant to turn on the air machine, at least when I was a paying customer.  I thought it was a law in most states that, if you've bought gas, you have the right to free air.  Well, OK, I was turned down once, when the switch behind the counter was actually broken.  I haven't actually paid for air at a gas station in more than five years (once I wised up).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SteveG1988

Most stations in NJ offer free air, at least the major ones near me.

But yeah by law they have to have X ammount, some stations only do X ammount, or Y which is X but a lil bit more.

Top Tier Gas does Z ammount, which is greater than X or Y, for example Shell,ExxonMobil, Chevron/Texaco, Etc ( http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html ) All put in more than the legal requirement, which is why, despite the Issues with the exxon valdez disaster that i grew up with, (my grandfather refused to buy Exxon after that) i will be sticking to 87 octane exxon, with the occasional 91 octane shell fill up for higher detergent levels, at least between seasons, to get all the idling in winter deposits out.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

nexus73

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2012, 10:39:39 PM
No free air???  I've never been turned down when I asked a station attendant to turn on the air machine, at least when I was a paying customer.  I thought it was a law in most states that, if you've bought gas, you have the right to free air.  Well, OK, I was turned down once, when the switch behind the counter was actually broken.  I haven't actually paid for air at a gas station in more than five years (once I wised up).

Over here in my part of Oregon, there is no way for the attendant to turn on the machine.  The air is dispensed from a coin-operated machine.  If you live where there's still free air, count yourself as extremely lucky!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

Quote from: nexus73 on April 21, 2012, 11:01:49 AM

Over here in my part of Oregon, there is no way for the attendant to turn on the machine.  The air is dispensed from a coin-operated machine.  If you live where there's still free air, count yourself as extremely lucky!

Rick

Are you sure?  The gas station closest to my house (Dillon's grocery store) has a coin-op machine.  If I need to fill up with air while I'm getting gas, I just pull up to the machine (without inserting coins), walk to the window, ask the attendant to turn on the air, and it's running by the time I get back to my car.  It being coin-op doesn't mean there's no switch behind the fuel counter.

Regarding winter idling fuel desposits:  I learned a few years ago not to idle my car in the winter.  Had to replace the catalytic converter on a car that was less than seven years old.  It was installed backwards (grrr..), so the O2 sensor broke off long ago.  It's been like that since early 2010, and I'm sure that's worse for my system than any difference in detergent levels in the gasoline.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bulkyorled

Certain states you still have to pay for the air, I'm fairly sure most states either have it free or it depends on the county. California has it free. I think the water is free too...
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

realjd

One of the places I lived had free air (IN maybe?). Most stations had coin op machines but the clerk would give you free tokens to use if you knew to ask.

nexus73

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2012, 11:43:54 AM

Rick

Are you sure?  The gas station closest to my house (Dillon's grocery store) has a coin-op machine.  If I need to fill up with air while I'm getting gas, I just pull up to the machine (without inserting coins), walk to the window, ask the attendant to turn on the air, and it's running by the time I get back to my car.  It being coin-op doesn't mean there's no switch behind the fuel counter.

Yes, I am sure.  The coin-op machines are little standalone units.  The clerk/attendant has no control over them.

Rick

kphoger

Quote from: nexus73 on April 21, 2012, 03:25:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2012, 11:43:54 AM

Rick

Yes, I am sure.  The coin-op machines are little standalone units.  The clerk/attendant has no control over them.

Rick

Hmm.  OK, I believe you.  BTW, the one at Dillon's is a stand-alone unit to, assuming you mean it's not attached to any building.  I don't exactly know how the switch inside activates the machine, but I've had it done at other stations as well, in more than one state.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.