News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crash in the Bronx Zoo

Started by SSOWorld, April 30, 2012, 01:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/us/new-york-fatal-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This usually isn't something we would read about but I find this intriguing.  They're considering speed to be a cause of the accident.  I've seen it circulating on Facebook between contacts as well.  Brings up the debate of "speed kills".  I wonder if that is what really is the cause - or might it be distracted/inattentive driving?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

the cause seems to be "fucking things up when you strike the barrier".  that's a minor problem that can be turned into a major one by reacting incorrectly.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mgk920

Sounds more to me like 'driving too fast for conditions' - AKA 'boneheadedness'.

:rolleyes:

Mike

formulanone

CNN's comments are as bad as YouTube's.

Brandon

Speed is usually used as an excuse for an accident without probing into the real cause.

Was the driver distracted?
Did the driver have a medical issue?
Was the driver drunk (as in the wrong-way drivers on I-94 Monday morning here)?
Did the vehicle have a mechanical problem causing a loss of control?
Did the driver attempt to avoid someone else driving recklessly?
Did the driver attempt something that the vehicle cannot do safely?

None of these have anything to do with speed as they can happen at high speeds or low speeds.  Yet, speed is easy to blame.  They could have been driving along at or below the speed limit and still gone over the barrier.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

(1)  Speed is cited as a contributing factor in an accident if it can be determined that the car was going in excess of the speed limit (and I'm guessing that a witness report stating, 'Yeah, he seemed to be going a little fast,' would probably count).  It doesn't matter if 100% of the traffic on the road was also speeding, it gets called a speed-related accident.

(2)  I don't think the exact split is published, but it's common knowledge in the statistical sphere that the majority of speed-related accidents are actually people who were travelling too fast for conditions in inclement weather, i.e. the posted speed limit had nothing to do with it.  Then people turn around and use the high number of speed-related accidents to call for lower speed limits.  Hello!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

The causes of the accident, according to the police, were excessive speed (68.5mph in a 50mph zone, on a road that really can't handle anything that fast) and poor roadway design (two-foot-high curbs instead of a shoulder/breakdown lane).  The driver lost control and struck the center divider, which blew the left front tire off its rim.  The rim then dug into the pavement and forced the vehicle to veer sharply right, crossing the entire roadway and hitting the curb, which vaulted it up over the four-foot fence behind the curb and down 60 feet into an unused part of the Bronx Zoo.

Everyone in the Honda Pilot was either wearing a seat belt or was in a child seat, and all seven people died of blunt-force trauma.

Yesterday NYSDOT started putting up Jersey barriers on three BRP viaducts, including the one where Sunday's crash occurred.  The barriers are in front of the two-foot-high curb, so vehicles can't jump over it.

The BRP is consistently named as one of the worst roads in NYS.  I was on it a few years ago and thought the 50mph speed limit was too fast.  Between the road's general condition (full of potholes that a family of four could bathe in) and its ancient design, I was afraid to go even 45.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

agentsteel53

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 03, 2012, 11:27:52 PM
The driver lost control and struck the center divider, which blew the left front tire off its rim.  The rim then dug into the pavement and forced the vehicle to veer sharply right,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the physics of the situation.  my intuition dictates that if the left front rim is acting as a glorified kickstand, the vehicle would spin sharply counterclockwise.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

The causes of the accident, according to the police, were excessive speed (68.5mph in a 50mph zone, on a road that really can't handle anything that fast) and poor roadway design (two-foot-high curbs instead of a shoulder/breakdown lane).

The driver lost control and struck the center divider, which blew the left front tire off its rim.  The rim then dug into the pavement and forced the vehicle to veer sharply right, crossing the entire roadway and hitting the curb, which vaulted it up over the four-foot fence behind the curb and down 60 feet into an unused part of the Bronx Zoo.

Boy, those two things contradict, don't they?  The driver lost control of the vehicle, yet it gets tallied under the 'speed-related' category.  If they had lost control at 50 mph, would things have turned out differently?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2012, 01:50:36 PM
The causes of the accident, according to the police, were excessive speed (68.5mph in a 50mph zone, on a road that really can't handle anything that fast) and poor roadway design (two-foot-high curbs instead of a shoulder/breakdown lane).

The driver lost control and struck the center divider, which blew the left front tire off its rim.  The rim then dug into the pavement and forced the vehicle to veer sharply right, crossing the entire roadway and hitting the curb, which vaulted it up over the four-foot fence behind the curb and down 60 feet into an unused part of the Bronx Zoo.

Boy, those two things contradict, don't they?  The driver lost control of the vehicle, yet it gets tallied under the 'speed-related' category.  If they had lost control at 50 mph, would things have turned out differently?

Probably not.  Even at 50mph, one could still vault a curb like that.  It still sounds like a driver error issue though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

The curb on that viaduct has always struck me as odd. I'd assumed the "shoulder" on the other side of it was intended to be some sort of walkway, but there isn't access to it for it to act as one. I suspect it may have been installed to keep vehicles from hitting the flimsy guardrail, but unfortunately I can also see how if you hit it the wrong way it can instead assist you in flipping over the guardrail. More of a barrier is definitely the solution, although I wonder how much of a bandaid that work really is until that whole viaduct needs to be renovated or replaced anyway - it's definitely seen better days.

As for speed, typical traffic makes it impossible to go 68 MPH through that particular spot, but I wouldn't blink at doing so if it was open enough to.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

D-Dey65

Just out of curiosity, wasn't this where the extension of Sheridan Expressway was supposed to go?

Duke87

Had it been built, the rest of the Sheridan would have passed under the BRP in that area, yes. But, the viaduct exists to bridge over the IRT 2/5 subway lines and accompanying E. 180th Street yard. It should be noted that the construction of the BRP predates planning for the Sheridan, but the subway was already there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

D-Dey65

I thought so. I knew about the IRT White Plains Road Line and the former New York, Westchester and Boston Railroad line being there too as well.

SidS1045

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2012, 11:49:38 PM
I'm not sure if I'm understanding the physics of the situation.  my intuition dictates that if the left front rim is acting as a glorified kickstand, the vehicle would spin sharply counterclockwise.

If I recall the pictures I saw of the crash site, the center barrier is a Jersey barrier, so what may have happened is that the driver tapped it, and even though that supposedly broke the tire's bead from the wheel, the SUV would have tended to steer itself back onto the roadway.  However, since it was now riding on the left front rim and not the tire, steering control was probably non-existent.

I am not an accident reconstructor, nor do I play one on TV...
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.