News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Vermont Reference Markers

Started by vdeane, May 21, 2012, 02:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Does anyone know anything about the Vermont reference markers?  The top line appears to be the route number with a 0 on the end, but I couldn't figure out the other two lines.  They also don't appear to be posted regularly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

I had a photo of one of them in that past, along US Route 5 at the Brattleboro/Dummerston town line. Besides the obvious "5", I think one line was the distance of that route until the next municipal boundary or something. At first, I thought you meant the tiny gray 1/20 mile markers along I-91!

froggie

Top line is the route number, with a zero on the end if it's a state route...last digit will be a letter for suffixed routes or a non-zero number for federal-aid routes not on the state highway system.

Middle line is the town code.

Bottom line is the mileage in hundredths from the southern or western (as applicable) town boundary.

So, in effect, they're milemarkers, but the mileage resets when you cross into the next town.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on May 21, 2012, 04:02:47 PM
Top line is the route number, with a zero on the end if it's a state route...last digit will be a letter for suffixed routes or a non-zero number for federal-aid routes not on the state highway system.

I thought it was NY who used the letter for suffixed routes, and VT used a number (so 22A would be 0221).

froggie

No, per VTrans, suffixed routes should have a letter.  But I don't have any examples offhand to verify with and I won't be back north for a week and a half.

vdeane

I guess they have more in common with Monroe County's reference markers than NYSDOT's then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

Top row: 3 digits for route number, + letter suffix converted to number (A = 1, B = 2, etc.) or 0 in absence of such suffix.
Middle row: 2 digits for the county and 2 digits for the town; both start with 01 and grow in alphabetical order of names.
Third row: hundredths of mile from town line or route beginning.

More info, including county and town codes, plus unsigned state highway numbers here: http://www.aot.state.vt.us/caddhelp/DownLoad/Standards/English/PDF/stde138.pdf

Instead of such reference markers, freeways use small mileposts posted with the right-hand delineator, every 20th of a mile it seems. http://www.aot.state.vt.us/caddhelp/DownLoad/Standards/English/PDF/stde198.pdf . Standard green MUTCD-compliant mileposts are erected every fifth of a mile.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 22, 2012, 07:51:44 PM
Top row: 3 digits for route number, + letter suffix converted to number (A = 1, B = 2, etc.) or 0 in absence of such suffix.
http://www.aot.state.vt.us/caddhelp/DownLoad/Standards/English/PDF/stde138.pdf

THANK you. ;-)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.