Signing street name with destinations

Started by flowmotion, June 01, 2012, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowmotion

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2012, 11:37:59 PM
Keeping up with the times... I think the MUTCD disallows control cities and street names on the same signs now.

This MUTCD rule makes me a sad panda. Exits for town centers are a useful navigational aid in the middle of endless suburbia.

PHLBOS

Quote from: flowmotion on June 01, 2012, 02:44:26 PM
Keeping up with the times... I think the MUTCD disallows control cities and street names on the same signs now.

This MUTCD rule makes me a sad panda. Exits for town centers are a useful navigational aid in the middle of endless suburbia.
A lot of exits in Massachusetts still have street names and controls cities on the same signs... even the new ones.

PennDOT has followed that MUTCD criteria for some time.  When I-476 (the Blue Route) first opened in late 1991, one of the biggest complaints (aside from the southern end being undersized lane-wise) was the signage for the Baltimore Pike interchange (then Exit 2, now Exit 3).  The main signs simply list Media - Swarthmore and Swarthmore - Media with no reference to Baltimore Pike.  PennDOT later provided supplemental signage containing Baltimore Pike and even Springfield in the messages. 

IMHO, PennDOT should've just signed the exit as Baltimore Pike - Media -Swarthmore with supplemental Springfield signs and been done with it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Most DOTs blatantly ignore the MUTCD on that point.

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 01, 2012, 03:53:50 PM
IMHO, PennDOT should've just signed the exit as Baltimore Pike - Media -Swarthmore with supplemental Springfield signs and been done with it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the way New York does it sometimes with the route name boxed and the destinations listed below it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2012, 11:07:14 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the way New York does it sometimes with the route name boxed and the destinations listed below it.
This is a common practice on Australian signs, however the road name patch is black text on a white patch.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

roadfro

Quote from: Steve on June 01, 2012, 07:08:32 PM

It's a guidance statement, not a standard...thus not required but highly encouraged to not mix the two.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alps

Quote from: roadfro on June 02, 2012, 03:15:29 PM

It's a guidance statement, not a standard...thus not required but highly encouraged to not mix the two.
Engineering justification? "How the hell do we sign a street that leads to two towns otherwise?" Done.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on June 02, 2012, 05:16:44 PM
Quote from: roadfro on June 02, 2012, 03:15:29 PM

Engineering justification? "How the hell do we sign a street that leads to two towns otherwise?" Done.

Many places do it.  TV Road near Florence, SC has two control points: Quimby & Florence.  Both are in one direction, spite that usually there is one for each and here both cities are south of I-95 here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

Okay, I get that they don't want a BGS sign to have the street name *and* city name(s) in the same breath anymore, but to clarify:

If the exit is for a specific route number (i.e. Business Loop 70) *and* the road's name is known solely as the route number (Business Loop 70), then can you or can you not include a control city(ies) on the BGS per the latest rules??

roadman65

What about I-495 in Maryland?  You have, lets say, the MD 4 & Pennsylvania Avenue interchange listing it with both the route and street name with either Washington for WB and Upper Marlboro for EB among many other interchanges.  Only the MD 214 & Central Avenue interchange has no control cities with the respective street name and MD route number on its signs. 

Nonetheless, this is showing the fact that you have numbered routes going to different places as well as their local names at the same time. This, I must say, works out well for the needs of the traffic along the busy Capital Beltway.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: thenetwork on June 03, 2012, 01:57:54 AM
Okay, I get that they don't want a BGS sign to have the street name *and* city name(s) in the same breath anymore, but to clarify:

If the exit is for a specific route number (i.e. Business Loop 70) *and* the road's name is known solely as the route number (Business Loop 70), then can you or can you not include a control city(ies) on the BGS per the latest rules??

There is nothing against that according to the MUTCD. That would be akin to signing any normal route shield with control cities. You wouldn't write out "Business Loop 70" on the BGS though, just the shield and the control cities.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NE2

Quote from: roadfro on June 03, 2012, 05:08:49 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 03, 2012, 01:57:54 AM

There is nothing against that according to the MUTCD. That would be akin to signing any normal route shield with control cities. You wouldn't write out "Business Loop 70" on the BGS though, just the shield and the control cities.

On the other hand, this guideline encourages unreadable shields with tiny text for named toll roads.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

I-55 through Ridgeland, MS has two exits that sign both city and street name.

bassoon1986

220 in Louisiana signs Airline Dr/ Bossier City although the not as populated Benton Rd. exit only says Benton/Bossier City

roadman

A lot of exits in Massachusetts still have street names and controls cities on the same signs... even the new ones.

Current MassDOT practice is to use a street name with destinations on Interstate and freeway BGS panels only where the intersecting street or road is not a numbered route.  In other words, they would not have a BGS with a route shield, street name, and destinations.  The rationale is that the street name provides drivers with the same guidance that a route shield would.

Massachusetts has been doing this since the late 1960s on BGSes.  Futher, this practice has had the blessing of the local FHWA office since the late 1980s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 03, 2012, 02:41:09 AM
What about I-495 in Maryland?  You have, lets say, the MD 4 & Pennsylvania Avenue interchange listing it with both the route and street name with either Washington for WB and Upper Marlboro for EB among many other interchanges.  Only the MD 214 & Central Avenue interchange has no control cities with the respective street name and MD route number on its signs. 

Nonetheless, this is showing the fact that you have numbered routes going to different places as well as their local names at the same time. This, I must say, works out well for the needs of the traffic along the busy Capital Beltway.

That's pretty routine in Northern Virginia as well and it always seemed normal to me, probably because I grew up seeing signs like that. I think the way Virginia's signs are usually (unfortunately not always!) set up with the name in slightly smaller print than the destinations is a pretty good design.

I think part of the reason I like this system is that it's a real crapshoot around here as to what roads get referred to in what way. There's not a lot of consistency in terms of some roads being referred to by number, some by name, and in some cases it depends on the person to whom you're speaking. The sign in this picture is a good example–"236" and some form of "Little River" are both pretty common. But the road at the next interchange to the north is ALWAYS "Gallows Road" and is never referred to by its number.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadman on June 04, 2012, 12:59:48 PM
Current MassDOT practice is to use a street name with destinations on Interstate and freeway BGS panels only where the intersecting street or road is not a numbered route.  In other words, they would not have a BGS with a route shield, street name, and destinations.  The rationale is that the street name provides drivers with the same guidance that a route shield would.
There are a few instances where Caltrans does exactly that (route shield, road name *and* control cities)...

from the AARoads Gallery (the second photo is an old porcelain sign)
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Dr Frankenstein

On the other hand, Ontario encourages the use of road names with destinations... at least on non-overhead signs.

IMO it depends. I usually prefer destination names instead of road names, except in built-up areas, and sometimes the mix only seems to add unnecessary clutter.

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 04, 2012, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 03, 2012, 02:41:09 AM

That's pretty routine in Northern Virginia as well and it always seemed normal to me, probably because I grew up seeing signs like that. I think the way Virginia's signs are usually (unfortunately not always!) set up with the name in slightly smaller print than the destinations is a pretty good design.

I think part of the reason I like this system is that it's a real crapshoot around here as to what roads get referred to in what way. There's not a lot of consistency in terms of some roads being referred to by number, some by name, and in some cases it depends on the person to whom you're speaking. The sign in this picture is a good example–"236" and some form of "Little River" are both pretty common. But the road at the next interchange to the north is ALWAYS "Gallows Road" and is never referred to by its number.

I always liked how Maryland and Virginia do this.  Especially in a metro area where road names are used by locals.    Many locals dont even know the route numbers, but travelers and visitors know route numbers from maps. 

I know here in Jax most BGS just have shields and road names.

PHLBOS

I believe the OP's referring to the practice of many highway interchanges w/unnumbered streets having BGS panels featuring either control desitnation(s) or the street name as opposed to both (like many interchange signs in Massachusetts).

I don't believe anyone was even referring to BGS panels having all three (route number, street name, control destinations) all on the same board until 1995hoo's above-posted example in Virginia. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 06, 2012, 01:07:09 PM

I believe the OP's referring to the practice of many highway interchanges w/unnumbered streets having BGS panels featuring either control desitnation(s) or the street name as opposed to both (like many interchange signs in Massachusetts).

I don't believe anyone was even referring to BGS panels having all three (route number, street name, control destinations) all on the same board until 1995hoo's above-posted example in Virginia. 

I posted that picture in response to the comment from roadman65 about that sort of signage in Maryland because I thought an example would be useful to people not from this area.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mjb2002

I see Street Names signed with Destinations, as well as government buildings (such as DMVs) signed with Destinations.

Aiken County has such a sign on the JEFFERSON DAVIS HWY near North Augusta.

roadman65

What gets me is the fact, the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey has placed the control city BEFORE the road name instead of after it on its 90's era or later signage!  Even in Irvington, a very urban city, for Lyons Avenue( NB Exit 143 and SB Exits 143A & B) it does not use "EAST" or WEST" to denote the directions!  The one signed for Exit 143A is Maplewood (Underlined) then Lyons Avenue.  The other for Exit 143B that has Hillside (underscored) followed by Lyons Avenue. 

Two things wrong with the way it is, first of all both exits access either direction of Lyons Avenue.  Then the other is why you need control points for Lyons Avenue in the first place anyway!  The best way into Maplewood is by exiting at the previous Exit 143 (Southbound Parkway uses Exit 143 for Springfield Avenue) and go west on Springfield. Lyons Avenue does meet Springfield Avenue to complete the journey into Maplewood, so its pointless.  Then the fact Hillside is used at all, being that Lyons Avenue goes no where near it.  Although one may argue that Union Avenue, the road that 143B exits onto, does go there; however it would be more useful to stay on the GSP to Exit 141 to US 22 East or use the new I-78 ramp that was just opened.

Bottom line is this is rural type signing in a highly urban envorniment  and no one else, that I have seen, uses the control city on top of the street name anywhere.  Even, GA changed the GA 99 exit on I-95 to put Eulonia beneath Townsend Road after new signing was added few years back. Previously, it was GA 99- Eulonia- Townsend Road.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

G.S. Parkway has always used that sign format even going back to their original signs from the 1950's and 60's. As a kid years ago, I remember seeing the sign "E. Orange Newark CENTRAL AVE, NEXT RIGHT".  G.S. Parkway had a few other unique sign designs also, incuding the arrow enclosed in a circle on the "exit-gore" sign.

New York DOT has long used BGS with a road name and 2 destinations, where the road is not numbered. Especially common on the L.I. Expwy in Nassau County.

I've always wondered why the FHWA discouraged the use of a street name and city name on the same sign. New York has proved for at least 50 years that this format works fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.