News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana highway reroutes

Started by silverback1065, June 13, 2012, 10:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

Per Wikipedia, a large portion of Indiana 57 will be bypassed by (and possibly rerouted onto) I-69 when construction is completed. They stop short of saying that they will decommission the road.

I'm sure more will be known as construction continues.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

mukade

Online INDOT plans for I-69 do not show a any SR 57 signage (I.e. a multiplex).

silverback1065

any idea how long this multiplex will be?

NE2

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 19, 2012, 11:05:24 PM
any idea how long this multiplex will be?
0 miles longer than it currently is.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tdindy88

Probably for the foreseen future, SR 57 will stay as it is. It could be decomissioned as various parts of the highway may be returned to the municipal governments, but there's no word on that happening at the moment. The current multiplex along I-164 and I-69 should be the only multiplex for the highway.

silverback1065

this has something to do with the current topic, what highways do you guys think should be rerouted or completely decommissioned?  The two that come to mind to me are indiana 134 and us 136 (should be decommissioned)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 20, 2012, 08:31:42 PM
this has something to do with the current topic, what highways do you guys think should be rerouted or completely decommissioned?  The two that come to mind to me are indiana 134 and us 136 (should be decommissioned)

The mods seem to prefer to keep those kinds of discussions in the Fictional Highways Section, but if you start a thread there, I'll be happy to contribute.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

good to know. ill do that

silverback1065

does anyone know is sr 126 and 526 will be decommissioned when the new bypass is finished?

tdindy88

My guess would be...probably.

mukade

Judging by the way cross-roads are mentioned in the US 231 study (route numbers not mentioned), I would agree that they will be gone.

http://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/us231/pubs/US231PublicMtg_032812.pdf

silverback1065

Wheb the hoosier heartland project is done, will sr 25 still be routed into downtown logansport? It if doesn't what will happen to sr 17 will they extend it to meet with the new bypass or reroute it away from logansport completely

tdindy88

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 22, 2012, 12:30:36 PM
Wheb the hoosier heartland project is done, will sr 25 still be routed into downtown logansport? It if doesn't what will happen to sr 17 will they extend it to meet with the new bypass or reroute it away from logansport completely

As IN25 approaches Logansport, it is going to turn due west and run parallel to, but just south of, the exisitng US24/35 bypass.  There will be a single interchange that intersects both the existing IN29 and the old IN29 (Burlington Ave.).  IN25 will be re-routed along Burlington Ave. and essentially follow old IN29's path into downtown.  Since IN25 will then run through downtown on 3rd St. to High St., IN17 presumably gets truncated by 4 blocks.

What I haven't seen is how the new construction west of Burlington over to the existing US24/35 will be signed.  It won't be carrying IN25 at that point, nor will it yet be carrying US24/35.  Maybe IN29 gets re-routed to cover that gap???
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 22, 2012, 03:17:33 PM
What I haven't seen is how the new construction west of Burlington over to the existing US24/35 will be signed.  It won't be carrying IN25 at that point, nor will it yet be carrying US24/35.  Maybe IN29 gets re-routed to cover that gap???

US 24 and US 35 will be on the same new roadway with SR 25 that will have the new interchange. At least part of the current roadway will be removed (I think the westbound lanes) and the remaining road will no longer be a highway.

http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/segment4.pdf

I guess I also don't see how SR 17 will change either.

silverback1065

Will sr 43 be cut back all the way to i-65?

PurdueBill

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 23, 2012, 11:19:54 PM
Will sr 43 be cut back all the way to i-65?

Do you mean in West Lafayette?  Probably the simplest thing would be to return its south end to where it was until 2001--at IN 26/State St., or else maybe they could extend it down River Road to meet 231, but I don't think I have seen any mention of that.  It would take the road off the state books to end 43 at 26, but would be logical as a state route numbered access to the city and campus to extend 43 to 231.
If 43 were to end at 65, then 443 would probably go too--of course, with 52 not being at the other end of 443, maybe that's the point!

silverback1065

sr 26 is going to be routed onto the new bypass and onto teal road and onto sr 38, i know 443 will be decommissioned.  It makes sense to extend it to the 231 bypass but i dont know what will happen actually. i think it's stupid us 52 will be moved, it's fine where it is. does anyone know what will happen to sr 43 (in west lafayette)

PurdueBill

Didn't know that the 26 part was final; had heard that there was a lot of blowback about it but I think INDOT doesn't care about that.  Teal Road was never meant to handle that much traffic....it will be interesting to see what happens.  350S would have been a nice alternative but since they allowed it to get built up out of control, it's possibly even worse than Teal.

This graphic from the J&C shows just how silly routing everything out 38 to 65 is; anyone who knows where they are going (or is advised by a local or has a map) is going to ignore the posted routes (or just follow the local preferences) and go the way things used to go.  It has to be just to reduce the mileage on INDOT's books, but this is really getting silly.  They need to do something like Mass does and allow posted state routes on local roads.  Then at least 26 could continue west to Sagamore and then go south to Teal.  It's insane posting it as joining I-65, exiting at 38, then the hairpin left on Sagamore to get to Teal. 

The idea of posted route numbers should be to show the best, fastest, safest, or most direct routes--not to trace the most convoluted path possible to minimize state maintenance.  A triplex of US 52, IN 25, and IN 26 on Teal Road (just wait until thru traffic blindly following that hits events at the Fairgrounds and Jeff at the same time) isn't serving the motorists--it's serving INDOT.

silverback1065

Y doesnt indot lobby the governor to abolish the 12,000 mile law?

silverback1065

Looks like from the picture sr 43 will be extended south to us 231

PurdueBill

Also, would 38 end while multiplexed with 25 and 26?  That doesn't make much sense from a highway standpoint (although none of this makes that much sense to me anyway) but the news diagram doesn't really address that.  Addresses would have to be changed if they did truncate 38 to end at I-65; places like the Subaru plant have addresses on "SR 38 E" that might require changing if 38 is discontinued there.  So what to do?  Allow 38 to end at its current end point?  Might as well, considering how convoluted everything else is with this!

The newspaper map doesn't really address extension of 43 explicitly; the wide lines are existing state routes, and what appears to be a possible extension of 43 to meet rerouted 231 is only shown as a state route because it is already--as US 231.

It's interesting to note that for a couple years now, IN 25 has not been signed as running on I-65.  It was rerouted onto 65 back in 2002 but for a couple years now, when going south on 25 and reaching I-65, you are greeted with an assembly of shields for SB I-65 left and "END 25" with no instruction on how to reach the part of 25 on the south side of Lafayette (starting at 38 and 65 at best, or at 52 and Teal at worst).  Part of me thinks that if they did that to 25, they are likely to do so with 26 too--making it essentially disappear and reappear.  As it is now, it's useless to anyone actually trying to follow 25 to have END posted instead of the duplex with 65, but INDOT actually consciously made that choice and took down the shields routing 25 on 65.  It's all very, very strange.

tdindy88

Depending on the SR 43 decision, it seems that Lafayette/West Lafayette will be the second large city (for my metric I include any community that is over 50,000 that is not a suburb) that will have no INDOT-maintained roads going through its center after Bloomington. I wonder if that is a coincidence?

mukade

How about Elkhart?

Off-topic, but is Lake County the only Indiana county with its county government not in the center of its county seat?

tdindy88

Okay, didn't think about Elkhart, I was trying to make some sort of college town connection with Lafayette and Bloomington, though there may be other factors at play. As for your question, I want to say that Newton County may fit the bill. The county seat is Kentland and the county courthouse IS in the middle of Kentland, but the county government center is located at the intersection of US 41 and SR 114 outside of Morocco. I remember because I got a county map for Newton County there once and it appeared that all the county offices were located there. It may be the closest thing that Indiana has to a county with two county seats, even if Kentland is the official county seat.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.