News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

It looks like button copy to me; especially given the old-school porcelain-green background of the signboard.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 06, 2012, 05:23:12 PM

I'm not quite sure. The clarity from the Google Street View vehicle isn't that good. I may have to go to that spot and photograph it.

I'd like to find out for sure.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mhallack

This yield sign has been in this spot forever, I'm thinking the town has completely forgotten about it. (It obviously less visible in spring and summer) And this is the only yield sign for this intersection. Though I took this pic from the sidewalk, it's just as invisible from the road. (It's in Bath, ME)

agentsteel53

wow.  first I thought it was just a photo of an unused pole, and the example would be of "poor former sign placement".  then I read your caption, and only then did I spot the YIELD because I was looking for it.

I am hoping that in a moving-car context, it is a tad more visible just due to it appearing to move relative to the branches, because in this still photo it is definitely a "where's Waldo" of a sign.

jake@aaroads.com

mhallack

I drive this route every day, and it is not any more visible on the road. In fact the first few months that I started taking this turn I had no idea there was a sign. I had only noticed it when I had to stop and yield for other cars. Spring and summer, forget about it cause the leaves on the tree obscure it even more.

My two cents would be to move the sign back a bit and shorten the pole.

Truvelo

I wonder if it's a case of poor vegetation control than poor sign placement? Perhaps the sign was clearly visible when it was first installed.
Speed limits limit life

mhallack

Good point Truvelo, especially seeing how faded that sign is. I suppose it's still there cause law requires it, not that the city is concerned about it.  :-/

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Truvelo on December 07, 2012, 02:13:04 PM
I wonder if it's a case of poor vegetation control than poor sign placement? Perhaps the sign was clearly visible when it was first installed.

I think the same could be said for that Hamilton/Lewiston BGS in Missoula. Over time, that one area of brush had overgrown so much that half the sign is obscured from view.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thenetwork

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 06, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 06, 2012, 01:41:35 PM
Well, that problem never existed when that BGS was installed around '74 or '75. Most signs I see in Missoula have been dated as far back as 1975. I guess the tree was REALLY small but now it's at the same height as the post and covering half of that sign.

is that a button copy sign?  I've never seen button copy in Montana.

Button copy was already a rarity when I (briefly) lived in Montana back in 1992!!! If that is indeed button copy, it may be (one of) the last ones in the whole darn state!!!

Michael

I was looking around in Street View near Watkins Glen, NY the other day and came across a left-side supplementary stop sign that, according to Google's driving directions, is 200 feet before the stop line.  For reference, the guardrail on the left side ends about 95 feet before the stop line due to the angle of the intersection.

Kacie Jane

I was going to say that it's more flat-out erroneous than poor placement -- it should just be a "stop ahead" sign -- but then I went back a few frames in Street View, and found the "stop ahead" sign, complete with bright orange flags.  So this is just silly.

agentsteel53

Quote from: thenetwork on December 07, 2012, 09:19:57 PM

Button copy was already a rarity when I (briefly) lived in Montana back in 1992!!! If that is indeed button copy, it may be (one of) the last ones in the whole darn state!!!

okay, so Montana did use button copy at some point?  that is good to know.  I'd never seen any example - historic or otherwise.  I believe the only states in which I've never seen any evidence of button copy are Virginia, Delaware, and Mississippi. 

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: Michael on January 15, 2013, 11:22:05 PM
I was looking around in Street View near Watkins Glen, NY the other day and came across a left-side supplementary stop sign...

No, it's just on the side with the racing line... :sombrero:

roadman65

In Orlando, FL we have a sign approaching I-4 from NB John Young Parkway that is placed behind the Orange County Correctional Facility's fence and is blocked from view.  True the sign is not needed for the most part as overhead signs exist at the interchange itself, but why place a sign that cannot be read?  The fence was there first and the sign was added when the interchange underwent reconfiguring in 2005.

No the sign is not imprisoned like Casey Anthony was (as that was her home for almost two years), the road widens and the new lane begins where the facility's property moves away from the road more and FDOT took advantage of that to add the lane.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Holden+Heights,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.505524,-81.417435&spn=0.004026,0.006899&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.300816,14.128418&oq=holden+he&t=h&hnear=Holden+Heights,+Orange,+Florida&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.505345,-81.417436&panoid=BFpNdK84rUvCspN2Zarajw&cbp=12,341.35,,0,0
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Ok, I get that this is a reference marker point. But is it really nessessary to install a reasurrance sign just a few feet from the end of the route? Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the reference marker on the reasurrance sign on the opposite side of the road? Just sayin'.

Ferris, TX

The High Plains Traveler

^BUSINESS, but not BUSINESS LOOP. Also, no letter suffix, Texas style.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Scott5114

Isn't there some TxDOT saying that the reference markers have to be on alternating sides of the road?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

Yes, that is standard practice. However, in this case, they should make a exeption, and put the reference marker on the resurrance sign on the other side of the road, or on a standalone post without any signs. This silliness is what happens when one follows the rules too much.

On FM 407, in Lewisville, there are two reference markers/reasurrance signs in a row on the same side of the road, and there is no good reason for it.

Road Hog

Typically TxDOT's practice on two-lane roads is to post reference markers and reassurance signs every 2 miles on opposite sides of the road, or as it works out, markers on one side every 4 miles.

And I too have seen the reassurance signs in many odd places, for example just feet from a junction.

Central Avenue

The lane-use sign here:

First, it's on an approach with 6 lanes, but it's against the far right curb. It would be very difficult to see it from the leftmost lanes during heavy traffic.

Second, it's too close to the actual intersection! By the time you would see this and realize you're in the wrong lane, it would be too late to move over.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

Seems to me there's usually a lane use sign near where the turn lanes begin, and another much closer to the intersection.  Was there not a sign further upstream from this?

But yeah, with this many lanes, they really should have overhead lane use signs on wire span.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

I can't remember if there was, honestly--I snapped the photo months ago and only found it again while cleaning out my phone this morning. I'd imagine there was, though.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Some_Person

This is on Airport RD/PA 987 S on the ramp for US 22 East(Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/0b2ZA), and the speed limit on Airport road is 50mph. That speed limit sign shouldn't be placed to the right of the ramp, especially considering it's a loop ramp.

Central Avenue

vtk

It's Urbancrest. They don't need advance warning signs because the only traffic is locals.  They blocked the streets out of the west end of their community to make sure of that.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.