News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: Henry on May 06, 2014, 04:35:50 PM
Normally, the background for a lane closed sign would be orange, not yellow

Orange is for temporary conditions, such as lane closures due to construction.  Yellow is for warnings, including where a lane ends as part of the highway's "permanent" design.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

NJDOT placed a mileage sign for US 206 NB in a weird place in Somerville, NJ.  It has the sign placed upon entering the Somerville Circle instead of after an intersection or in between as usually they are placed.

I imagine that to place is post Somerville Circle is not an option because there are many other signs from that point to the interchange with I-287 due to the interchanges with US 22 and Commons Way.  To add this would create a safety concern there, but the sign could have been moved a few hundred feet back of its current location or even better yet just north of the previous major intersection which is a heavily traveled thoroughfare across the route.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: vtk on May 06, 2014, 10:51:09 PM

Orange is for temporary conditions, such as lane closures due to construction.  Yellow is for warnings, including where a lane ends as part of the highway's "permanent" design.
I know that, but my thing is, why build a freeway in a random location when it had absolutely no chance of connecting to another in the first place? (Thankfully, the western end of the old I-170 is gone forever.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vtk

Quote from: Henry on May 07, 2014, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: vtk on May 06, 2014, 10:51:09 PM

I know that, but my thing is, why build a freeway in a random location when it had absolutely no chance of connecting to another in the first place? (Thankfully, the western end of the old I-170 is gone forever.)

I'm not sure how that has anything to do with the color of the sign, unless you're suggesting traffic control devices should perpetually treat the stub of a cancelled freeway like a construction zone...

Alex

Just posted this on the main site (I-78 west in NJ):

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 02, 2012, 04:26:11 PM

If you excuse this old sign here...

The first set of I-95 shields are Clearview.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

mefailenglish

hbelkins

How recent is that picture? I'm pretty sure that's a US 25 sign, because Kentucky's signs have been known to fail like that, and there are a few black-on-white mileage signs left in District 6. The stick on "S" is an added bonus.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Couldn't be too recent as gas was showing $1.blank.  It would be $3.xx now.  My guess is late 1990's.

This sign looks like it is situated just north of Dry Ridge, KY, correct?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

vtk

Could easily be as recent as mid-00's.  Late 90's saw gas prices under $1/gal much of the time.

I suspect the highway signs were there first, anyway.

Also: I think that whiteout S is upside down.

mefailenglish

Actually I took that picture last night.  The gas station appeared long closed.

Yes US 25 (now US 25 Business) in Dry Ridge KY. 

hbelkins

I've only driven 25 southbound there, so that's probably why I don't remember seeing that sign.

jakeroot

Joining the Pima Freeway near South Scottsdale . . .

Alex4897

DE 2 at Griffin Dr.

EDIT: Replaced pic with one that I took.
👉😎👉

TrevorB

While in Jackson, MS, I noticed that it's pretty hard to read the signs on Pascagoula Street as you approach I-55 until you are essentially right under them.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2964028,-90.1739533,3a,47.2y,84.76h,95.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sse1aUzVrgOuw0mket856tw!2e0

Central Avenue

It's not terrible, since you can still see enough to get the message, but the OSU navigational sign obscures the OH 315 sign just enough to be irritating:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

That wayfinding sign should be on the near side of the intersection (relative to the SB exit traffic) anyway. I don't think its text is large enough to be read from the distance required to decide which way to turn.

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on September 12, 2014, 04:17:34 PM
That wayfinding sign should be on the near side of the intersection (relative to the SB exit traffic) anyway. I don't think its text is large enough to be read from the distance required to decide which way to turn.

I had the same thought. Oddly enough, the one for the NB ramp is placed on the near side, so it's a bit confusing that the posted the SB one where it is.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

1995hoo

Half Street and Potomac Avenue SW in DC (picture taken from Half Street). The stop sign is in a horrible location. Lots of drivers don't even notice it, especially when traffic is heavy after a ballgame. OK, the wall on the right doesn't help in terms of where to put the sign, but.....

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

Currently, this sign is covered by the hedge that's at the base of it. When I rode past it a little while back, I didn't even see it until I was about to pass it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Spotted yesterday. The warning signs are placed directly in front of the route marker. I was zoomed in too far to get an overall look.

1995hoo

I hope this is not permanent sign placement. Seen in the reversible HOV carriageway in Springfield, Virginia. The diamond-shaped sign facing the other way that blocks the new small green "Express Exit" sign is a standard sign for thru traffic when the lanes are going in the other direction denoting a merge from the left.

Same spot going the other way a little over 90 minutes later. It's not nearly as bad in the other direction:

Brandon

^^ WTF?  These should have been placed back-to-back on the same pole.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on October 17, 2014, 03:08:21 PM
^^ WTF?  These should have been placed back-to-back on the same pole.

I am pretty certain the "merge" sign was there first and the "Express Exit" sign is new because Tuesday was the first time I'd seen the latter sign and because the whole "Express" usage on the signs through there is new as part of the HO/T conversion. But yeah, even if the merge sign was already there, they could and should have done exactly what you describe, or alternatively they could have moved the merge sign to where the exit sign is now and put the exit sign where the merge sign used to be.

Whatever the rationale, someone wasn't thinking. I might send the first picture to VDOT.

Billy F 1988

You should. That's a big boo boo on the contractor for not having them back to back. Some bonehead should be reprimanded for this error and fix the problem before people end up wrecking themselves.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.