News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 04, 2016, 04:22:56 PM
Found this on Facebook, it's apparently in Cumberland, MD:

The acorn US shield strikes again!

Dear God, the plague is spreading! Hopefully they don't pop up in VA or WV next...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

epzik8

This one may not be an error, but it's definitely a nonstandard font for U.S. highway signs. This is I-176 approaching its northern terminus at U.S. 422 near Reading, Pennsylvania.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SignGeek101

Quote from: epzik8 on August 09, 2016, 10:17:33 PM
This one may not be an error, but it's definitely a nonstandard font for U.S. highway signs. This is I-176 approaching its northern terminus at U.S. 422 near Reading, Pennsylvania.

Not nonstandard, but done so poorly that it looks hideous. Cardinal directions look like they're MUTCD spec, but maybe not. Spec says that the first letter should be 15" with the rest 12". All of those letters look almost the same size to me. Control cities are done horribly in Clearview 5W. A diagrammatic isn't really needed here I don't think, after all, it's only one lane each.

machias

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 09, 2016, 10:21:26 PM

Not nonstandard, but done so poorly that it looks hideous. Cardinal directions look like they're MUTCD spec, but maybe not. Spec says that the first letter should be 15" with the rest 12". All of those letters look almost the same size to me. Control cities are done horribly in Clearview 5W. A diagrammatic isn't really needed here I don't think, after all, it's only one lane each.

Someone is treating the Clearview as a "font" and sizing the letters improperly.  For example, plans may say 15" with 12" lc, which means that all the letters would be a 15" font, but the lowercase letter loop height is only 12" inches.  I've seen quite a few signs in Pennsylvania, Virginia and a couple in New York State that suffer from this.  It's part of the "making a sign is as easy as using Microsoft Word!" mentality.

jbnv

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 10, 2016, 09:04:58 PM
Someone is treating the Clearview as a "font" and sizing the letters improperly.  For example, plans may say 15" with 12" lc, which means that all the letters would be a 15" font, but the lowercase letter loop height is only 12" inches.  I've seen quite a few signs in Pennsylvania, Virginia and a couple in New York State that suffer from this.  It's part of the "making a sign is as easy as using Microsoft Word!" mentality.

It's not just a Clearview problem.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

national highway 1

The middle sign for the I-110/CA 110 exit is ridiculously cramped. Also, the whole layout for the sign on the right for 'Convention Center, Los Angeles St' leaves a lot to be desired..
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

national highway 1

Also, the placement of this CA 82 shield seems a little bit odd. One would think it would've been better center-aligned  vertically along with the text 'El Camino Real', which is correctly aligned.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

machias

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 11, 2016, 01:15:06 AM
The middle sign for the I-110/CA 110 exit is ridiculously cramped. Also, the whole layout for the sign on the right for 'Convention Center, Los Angeles St' leaves a lot to be desired..

I have always loved Caltrans for doing their own thing. While the design of the two signs you mentioned is a bit odd and not 100% of what it could be, in the California context, the signs work just fine. To someone not familiar with the way Caltrans signs things it might be confusion but the typical California motorist it's fine. I'm not saying it's right, but they're doable.

kphoger

My best friend just texted this picture to me.

101TH ???

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bluenoser

ekt8750

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 10, 2016, 09:04:58 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 09, 2016, 10:21:26 PM

There's a bunch in New Jersey too. I've some townships whose sign blades are formatted that way as well (looking at you Gloucester Twp.).

3web

Found this on a road trip to AZ on the I-515.
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2016, 12:39:27 AM
This guide sign in Burnaby, BC has a black right arrow.

It looks like a stealth bomber seen from the underside, silhouetted against the sky.

jay8g

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2016, 12:59:00 PM

101TH ???

Also, why does it seem like both blades have the same text? It can't possibly be 101st St and 101st St, can it?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jay8g on August 14, 2016, 01:59:02 AM

101TH ???

Also, why does it seem like both blades have the same text? It can't possibly be 101st St and 101st St, can it?
If the road bends at the intersection it's possible.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

paulthemapguy

For the sign on the right, I wish they'd just do the "EXIT r7 ONLY" tabs like you see in Illinois at the bottom...  A picture I uploaded as an example:

IMG_4273 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

roadfro

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 14, 2016, 03:31:14 PM

For the sign on the right, I wish they'd just do the "EXIT r7 ONLY" tabs like you see in Illinois at the bottom...  A picture I uploaded as an example:

IMG_4273 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Caltrans typical standard is to use a yellow "Exit Only" plaque and put the arrow next to the plaque on the same line.

This sign is unusual in two ways: (1) the arrow and plaque are on different lines, even though they clearly could have been on one line; and (2) simple "Only" plaques, as seen here, are typically only used on freeway-to-freeway exits, which this is not.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 14, 2016, 02:46:50 PM

101TH ???

If the road bends at the intersection it's possible.

I don't know the exact location of the photo, but 101st Street is a major section-line road that doesn't bend anywhere.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SignBridge

So paulthemapguy let me get this straight........in Illinois the first advance sign for an exit might be 5 miles or even 11 miles before the exit?

J N Winkler

Quote from: SignBridge on August 14, 2016, 09:00:49 PMSo paulthemapguy let me get this straight........in Illinois the first advance sign for an exit might be 5 miles or even 11 miles before the exit?

What he showed is actually a Tollway heirloom--advance signs for the next one or two exits mounted next to an exit direction sign.  Another heirloom is extra-large digits and name "ILLINOIS" in the state route shields.  Neither is representative of signing on the untolled freeway network in Illinois.

(There are isolated examples elsewhere of exits signed well in advance, e.g. Nebraska I-80 Exit 432 at Exit 439.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SignBridge on August 14, 2016, 09:00:49 PM
So paulthemapguy let me get this straight........in Illinois the first advance sign for an exit might be 5 miles or even 11 miles before the exit?

At each exit off of an Illinois tollway, you will see sign(s) telling motorists what the next exit or two exits are, no matter how distant.  Even if that exit isn't for another 16 miles... https://goo.gl/maps/1eAaSpFUFvz
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

SignBridge

Well I guess all the toll-road authorities have their signing quirks. I see the Tollway also doesn't use exit numbers on the advance signs either. That's not MUTCD compliant. I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago that the Tollway didn't use exit numbers at all years ago. Is that true?

tckma

Posted by an instagram friend of mine:

chays

Quote from: tckma on August 16, 2016, 05:07:56 PM
Posted by an instagram friend of mine:

We've seen some bad error's, but this one take's the cake.

cbeach40

No, it's 101th and 101th.  :-D
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.