News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Is it me or does that Arby's font on that sign resemble Budget rent-a-car's new font?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 03, 2014, 12:57:37 PM
Is it me or does that Arby's font on that sign resemble Budget rent-a-car's new font?

It does appear to be quite similar, the Budget logo being a lighter weight -- I can't seem to figure out what the font is, however.

Zeffy

Quote from: jake on June 03, 2014, 01:47:46 PM
It does appear to be quite similar, the Budget logo being a lighter weight -- I can't seem to figure out what the font is, however.

Looks like Hurme Geometric Sans 2 Semi Bold.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

mhh

thenetwork

vtk

Yeah, I have to wonder how that sign came to be... I don't think I've seen another like it around central Ohio.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

amroad17

Didn't the Ohio Turnpike have some BGS's that had a similar spacing on them?  They were not as pronounced as this one above, but to me, the spacing between letters was a bit wider than normal. 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on June 14, 2014, 09:08:34 PM
Didn't the Ohio Turnpike have some BGS's that had a similar spacing on them?  They were not as pronounced as this one above, but to me, the spacing between letters was a bit wider than normal.

I haven't traveled extensively on the Ohio Turnpike, but from what I do remember of my travel on the western part of it, there were some signs with unusual letterspacing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jbnv

Yes. I remember quite a few west of Toledo. Don't know if they are still there.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

JoePCool14

A bit of a funky one from IDOT.

This is one I-55 North near Normal.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Brandon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 17, 2014, 08:55:23 AM
A bit of a funky one from IDOT.

This is one I-55 North near Normal.

It's nowhere remotely near Normal (closer to Joliet than Normal actually, as it is in Grundy County).  However, some of the oddness of this sign and others for this exit seem to stem from the fact that IL-129 used to end here as well.

Quote from: jbnv on June 16, 2014, 03:06:43 PM
Yes. I remember quite a few west of Toledo. Don't know if they are still there.

Here's a one of them:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.589211,-84.332359&spn=0.004606,0.010568&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.589211,-84.332359&panoid=ogLHB9xby_Zwg_ajgtVHfw&cbp=12,76.68,,0,2.1
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PHLBOS

Fabricator of this D6 LGS (look closely) along MA 135 in Natick must be very new to MassDOT state highway shield specs.  One has to wonder what state name would've been placed on that 27 shield?  :hmmm:

Update: looking at that LGS more closely when I was up there 2-1/2 weeks ago (to attend a friend's father's funeral), I noticed that there's actually two shields placed on top of one another.  The original larger shield lost its 27 numerals and a smaller borderless MA 27 shield was placed on top of the larger shield but positioned a bit lower.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

freebrickproductions

I don't know how they managed this one...

Curve Ahead Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

odditude

sorry, no pic...

the replacement for this sign on I-195 West in NJ is uniquely ugly. the trailblazer is the same size and using the same Series B numbers, but imagine each number is two sizes smaller and shares the bottom-right anchorpoint with those in the original sign. tiny, misaligned, and absurdly spaced-out numbers.

vtk

Two design errors that are so severe, they are borderline information errors. Sorry no pics, but the first one is on GSV:

1. SE side of Columbus, US 33 WB at I-270. The bridge-mounted exit direction sign for the loop ramp to I-270 SB doesn't have any arrows or action message, making it look like an old pull-thru sign for the wrong freeway.

2. South side of Columbus, I-270 WB approaching I-71. Advance guide signs for I-71 display absolutely no indication that the right two lanes must exit. (Just in the last 24 hours, this part of 270 became four lanes WB, versus two before. The signs in question are new installs for this project, but they appear to be Clearviewized carbon copies of the old signs, complete with centered exit tabs.)

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

english si

Quote from: Brandon on February 04, 2014, 10:20:10 AMNot always.  The Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis use "Give Way".
Not always - sometimes the Brits use bilingual signs! English and Welsh. Sadly (London's) Chinatown's bilingual signs don't cover "Give Way", nor do the (Scottish) Gaelic signage are in Scotland (bilingual in a lot of the West/North West/Highlands, and monolingual for direction signs in the Western Isles Eilean Siar).
Quote from: Brandon on February 04, 2014, 04:14:21 PMFor some reason the mainland Euros like to claim their standards as "international" when they apply to maybe half the world at best.
Half the world is doing it wrong and would be so much better if they did things the way the Franco-Germanics do them.

"Thou shalt be the same" is the continentals' refrain.

PHLBOS

Not yet shown on GSV, but another erroneous SR shield for US 202 has recently been erected; this time in Delaware along DE 92 (Naaman's Road).  It's a JCT. 202 trailblazer along DE 92 westbound.

Unlike other states (PA & MA for examples) that have erroneously posted SR 202 shields in the past; DE indeed has an SR 202, just not at this location (well north of I-95).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex4897

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 24, 2014, 11:08:06 AM
Not yet shown on GSV, but another erroneous SR shield for US 202 has recently been erected; this time in Delaware along DE 92 (Naaman's Road).  It's a JCT. 202 trailblazer along DE 92 westbound.

Unlike other states (PA & MA for examples) that have erroneously posted SR 202 shields in the past; DE indeed has an SR 202, just not at this location (well north of I-95).

It seems out of all the routes Delaware maintains, it screws up signage for US / DE 202 most often.
👉😎👉

Zeffy

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 24, 2014, 05:40:33 PM
It seems out of all the routes Delaware maintains, it screws up signage for US / DE 202 most often.

To be fair, this should be expected when you have a state route that shares a number with a major US Highway. Contractors don't know the difference.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Takumi

Ugly unisign for VA 142 near its east end (a railroad bridge, which was the old Petersburg city limits, just outside this photo is where it ends and the road becomes unnumbered). I didn't want to put it in The Worst Of Road Signs because the shields look all right and it's a good font, just too large for the shields.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SignGeek101

http://goo.gl/maps/Sl05Z

http://goo.gl/maps/DcKfS

Can't send this one into "worst", but the signs should have the farthest city on the bottom.

712 km is quite a distance to show.

vtk

Quote from: vtk on November 16, 2014, 04:37:43 AM
South side of Columbus, I-270 WB approaching I-71. Advance guide signs for I-71 display absolutely no indication that the right two lanes must exit. (Clearviewized carbon copies of the old signs, complete with centered exit tabs.)

Got some pics with my camera phone:

(Holy crap that looks crap.  Stupid phone camera must have applied the 2X digital zoom after rescaling the whole image to VGA resolution... X-()

broadhurst04

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 31, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 04, 2012, 06:13:24 PM
Couldn't they have just left out the word Center altogether and conveyed the same meaning?

then it would result in a real head-scratcher.  "Level 1 Trauma".  we'd be posting it in the "least explicable signs" next to "permitted vehicles prohibited" and "block mother area".

Where is that thread? I tried searching for it but came up empty.

national highway 1

The bottom sign leaves a lot to be desired...
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.