News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

m.t.r?

Started by Roadsguy, June 30, 2012, 06:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

What is/was m.t.r? I see references to it, but don't know what it is. Was it an old road forum that was replaced by this?

Also, what's Frankensign?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Stratuscaster

m.t.r - misc.transport.road - a newsgroup.

Frankensign is a BGS for I-95 North headed to Washington. It was damaged, and rather than replace the entire sign, they tacked on a piece to fix it. The sign now contained both FHWA and Clearview fonts - with "Washingt" in FHWA and "on" in Clearview - along with different shades of green. It's featured in numerous places - most recently revived in the "Worst of Road Signs" thread.

hbelkins

Quote from: Stratuscaster on June 30, 2012, 07:20:30 PM
m.t.r - misc.transport.roads - a newsgroup.

road. It's singular.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Stratuscaster

Right. That's exactly what I meant. :P

empirestate

And it's still perfectly active; there just isn't a whole lot worth reading there anymore. But going through the old Google Groups archive of it could be elucidating. Lots of threads there comprising the first-ever online discussion and discovery of so many topics that are now old hat (and some that are being re-discovered for the "first time" here at AARoads).

US71

Quote from: empirestate on July 01, 2012, 06:27:12 PM
And it's still perfectly active; there just isn't a whole lot worth reading there anymore. But going through the old Google Groups archive of it could be elucidating. Lots of threads there comprising the first-ever online discussion and discovery of so many topics that are now old hat (and some that are being re-discovered for the "first time" here at AARoads).

I need to go post some updates there, but going through Google Groups is a "PITA". I had an Eternal September account, but my ISP seems to block it from sending or receiving.

I guess it was Bugo who first got me interested in MTR.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.