News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cryptic word messages on traffic signs

Started by J N Winkler, July 02, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2012, 05:03:58 PM
What the heck is a "Trafficway"?

Wow.  Having had relatives in KC my whole life, I never thought anything of the word Trafficway.  I can see how the abbreviation would perplex someone, though....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2012, 06:00:03 PM

Wow.  Having had relatives in KC my whole life, I never thought anything of the word Trafficway.  I can see how the abbreviation would perplex someone, though....

it sounds like a terrible thing which I'd like to avoid!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadsguy

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2012, 12:15:16 PM
To me "Bkn." would have suggested either "Broken" or "Brooklyn."

Bacon? When I got a first glance of that post scrolling down, I thought I actually saw the full word "bacon." :-D
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vtk

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2012, 05:03:58 PM
What the heck is a "Trafficway"?

Someone who has between 100 and 199 posts on this forum?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

theline

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 01, 2012, 07:57:09 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2012, 12:15:16 PM
To me "Bkn." would have suggested either "Broken" or "Brooklyn."

Bacon? When I got a first glance of that post scrolling down, I thought I actually saw the full word "bacon." :-D

I can look at nearly anything and see bacon.

empirestate

First time I visited California, it took me forever to realize what "Cyn" meant. I didn't at first realize it was an abbreviation!

agentsteel53

Quote from: empirestate on November 01, 2012, 08:47:33 PM
First time I visited California, it took me forever to realize what "Cyn" meant. I didn't at first realize it was an abbreviation!

me too - it took me about two years of living there.  I thought it was just some kind of obscure word, possibly Spanish.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

I still haven't heard a good description of what sort of road a "trafficway" is. Arterial boulevard? Freeway? Jersey freeway? Something else?

If I saw "Cyn" I'd normally interpret it as a nickname for "Cynthia." What does it mean on a road sign? Like "trafficway," it's not something I've ever seen.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2012, 10:15:53 PM
If I saw "Cyn" I'd normally interpret it as a nickname for "Cynthia." What does it mean on a road sign? Like "trafficway," it's not something I've ever seen.

It's short for "Canyon", a word that appears in many California street names.

A similarly region-specific example is "Gd" in Michigan...

Alps

CentralCAroadgeek

Seen by me in Pacific Grove last weekend:

End Tour Bus Parking
No Parking From Here Until Point Lobos

Pretty sure it was no parking for the bus since there were cars parked ahead of the sign, but the sign didn't specify. Really confused the heck out of us, so we parked elsewhere.

Another lousy job by the Monterey County sign shop.

Takumi

Quote from: Steve on November 01, 2012, 11:04:05 PM
Someone explain what a Tkpe is?
Take pee? Especially with all the beers you seem to have had tonight.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on November 02, 2012, 12:05:24 AM
Take pee? Especially with all the beers you seem to have had tonight.
hehyyynoyw thatssss'not faiiirri

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Special K

I still haven't heard a good description of what sort of road a "trafficway" is. Arterial boulevard? Freeway? Jersey freeway? Something else?

As far as I can tell, it's a major arterial street designed for through traffic to move from one section of the city to another.  Left turns are largely prohibited along these streets.

Special K

Quote from: empirestate on November 01, 2012, 10:25:51 PM

God's in Michigan and he has a sign?

1995hoo

Quote from: Special K on November 02, 2012, 08:26:03 AM

God's in Michigan and he has a sign?

After living in the South for a few years in the 1990s, I interpret "gd" as a profanity because people there use it as such (short for "goddamn").

Scott5114

A trafficway in Kansas City is just another term for an arterial boulevard. It substitutes for Street or Avenue or whatever (except in the case of 7th Street Trafficway). Seems to connote a particularly impressive arterial.

Another Kansas Cityism: median approach signage for Shawnee Mission Parkway abbreviates it as "Sh Mn Pky".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadsguy

Quote from: Special K on November 02, 2012, 08:25:16 AM

As far as I can tell, it's a major arterial street designed for through traffic to move from one section of the city to another.  Left turns are largely prohibited along these streets.

So it is a Jersey Freeway! (more or less)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NE2

Not at all. A Jersey freeway has no cross traffic at all.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

"Trafficway" is a generic term for a high-type road--it isn't really restricted to a particular category of road and it is actually a regional term, not purely a Kansas Cityism.  Greater Kansas City has a number of Trafficways which are signalized surface arterials, while around Lawrence the proposed South Lawrence Trafficway is a full freeway.  Topeka (50 miles west of Kansas City) has Trafficways too.  I think "Trafficway" is primarily a northeast Kansas/Kansas City term because it seems to have penetrated a much smaller distance east of the state line.

The 7th Street Trafficway in Kansas City, Kansas has signalized intersections where left turns are permitted, BTW.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

StogieGuy7

That's funny because I never had any trouble with "Cyn" for Canyon.  Of course, other states abbreviate it as "Can", but "Cyn" always made perfect sense to me for some reason.

That one never fails to crack me up!  "God Damn Rapids" is all I can think of when I see MI guide signs along I-96 or I-196!  Seriously.

This one looks like "Orange Turnpike", missing the "a".  "Tpke" is a pretty obvious abbreviation for Turnpike.  That or "Tpk" are really the only ways that you could reasonably abbreviate the word.    Again, that's a lot easier to decipher than "T(u)rfway"!!

1995hoo

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 02, 2012, 11:06:02 AM

That's funny because I never had any trouble with "Cyn" for Canyon.  Of course, other states abbreviate it as "Can", but "Cyn" always made perfect sense to me for some reason.

Well, as I said, I've never seen it. I live on the East Coast and have for almost my entire life; the one exception (a year in Texas) was when I was born, so I understandably don't remember it too well! We don't have canyons on the East Coast unless you count Breaks Interstate Park down in Southwest Virginia/southeastern Kentucky (but I have never been there anyway). The only time I've encountered a road with "Canyon" in the name was around Waimea Canyon on Kauai and I simply do not recall the signs because my focus was on the scenery. It may well be that when seen in context, a sign with "Cyn" for "Canyon" might be perfectly obvious in its meaning, but if you've never seen one, you can't comment, right?

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 02, 2012, 11:06:02 AM

This one looks like "Orange Turnpike", missing the "a".  "Tpke" is a pretty obvious abbreviation for Turnpike.  That or "Tpk" are really the only ways that you could reasonably abbreviate the word.    Again, that's a lot easier to decipher than "T(u)rfway"!!

I believe he was making fun of the typo in "Tkpe" (note the reversal of the "p" and the "k").

I've seen "Turnpike" abbreviated as "Tpke," "Tnpk," "Trpk," and "Trnpk," all on various signs within about a five-mile radius here in Northern Virginia. They refer to Little River Turnpike. Once upon a time the BGSs typically used "Tnpk" and the street sign blades used "Tpke," but lately it's varied a bit more. "Trpk" is unique to one sign on I-395. It's a strange abbreviation, but I suppose it's still reasonably clear what it means....although I guess I'm not the best person to say because I've lived here for almost 40 years and so of course I know the road's name.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2012, 11:26:56 AMI've seen "Turnpike" abbreviated as "Tpke," "Tnpk," "Trpk," and "Trnpk," all on various signs within about a five-mile radius here in Northern Virginia. They refer to Little River Turnpike. Once upon a time the BGSs typically used "Tnpk" and the street sign blades used "Tpke," but lately it's varied a bit more. "Trpk" is unique to one sign on I-395. It's a strange abbreviation, but I suppose it's still reasonably clear what it means....although I guess I'm not the best person to say because I've lived here for almost 40 years and so of course I know the road's name.

I am not particularly fond of any of these abbreviations--here we use "Tpk" (one more letter saved compared to any of the examples used in northern Virginia, and still unambiguous and easily understood).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

StogieGuy7

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2012, 11:26:56 AM
It may well be that when seen in context, a sign with "Cyn" for "Canyon" might be perfectly obvious in its meaning, but if you've never seen one, you can't comment, right?

No offense intended, I was simply stating that it seemed intuitive to me.

I believe he was making fun of the typo in "Tkpe" (note the reversal of the "p" and the "k").

LOL!!  My brain actually corrected it for me and I never noticed that it was "Tkpe"!  Good one!  Oh well, I guess I understood what they were trying to say......

I've seen "Turnpike" abbreviated as "Tpke," "Tnpk," "Trpk," and "Trnpk," all on various signs within about a five-mile radius here in Northern Virginia. They refer to Little River Turnpike. Once upon a time the BGSs typically used "Tnpk" and the street sign blades used "Tpke," but lately it's varied a bit more. "Trpk" is unique to one sign on I-395. It's a strange abbreviation, but I suppose it's still reasonably clear what it means....although I guess I'm not the best person to say because I've lived here for almost 40 years and so of course I know the road's name.

I've seen them all too, though "Tpk" and "Tpke" seem to be the most common over the widest area.  I actually lived in your area too when I was a kid, so I am familiar with Little River Turnpike (and the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike)! 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.