News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Door County trip

Started by hobsini2, July 04, 2012, 01:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

I am going to Door County next weekend for my first time since I was 8. Is there any construction I need to know about aside from the 41 stuff? And any favorite places in Door County? I'm open to suggestion. I do know about Al Johnson's. We are going to be staying in Bailey's Harbor.  Trying to avoid big crowds too.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Jordanah1

go to Wequiock falls (its in brown county just northeast of green bay, just off of WI57.) i assume you will go to whitefish dunes state park, if you do, i would strongly recomend you go to cave point county park just north of whitefish dunes. i also recomend taking a ferry to washington island. i havent done that since i was 4 years old, and im looking to go back to washington island soon.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

mgk920

NO highway construction that I am aware of NE of Green Bay, the WI 57 four-lane upgrades were completed all the way to Sturgeon Bay several years ago (it is a *nice* highway now!) - BUT, check with WisDOT for the current status of the bridges at Sturgeon Bay.  I recall that there may be maintenance work of some sort being done there.

One big item in Green Bay, though, the I-43 Fox River bridge in Green Bay is down to one lane in each direction and there may be delays there because of that.  Use WI 172 to avoid it.

Mike

hobsini2

Jordanah, Washington Island is on the list of places. I am not aware of Whitefish Dunes or Wequiock Falls. I think the grandmothers would love the falls.

Mike, thanks for the heads up about 43 over the Fox.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Jordanah1

u might b in luck with the falls, in oshkosh we got poured on a few days ago, im not sure how much rain there was in the green bay area, u can walk under the waterfall, but its pretty seasonal, early spring with all the meltwater is best, after a good rain is good too (without a lot of rain, it will likely just be a trickle...). its *just* off of WI57 just after the freeway becomes an expressway. https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.568504,-87.879081&spn=0.00425,0.006899&t=h&z=17. its a 15min stop at most.
i have never been to whitefishdunes state park, but i have been to cavepoint county park several times, if your grandmother will like the falls, then she will probably like cavepoint too....niether cavepoint or wequiock falls have ever had many people while iv been there, a county park doesnt exactly pop out at you on a map, and the falls probably isnt even on the map.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Scott5114

Quote from: Jordanah1 on July 04, 2012, 06:36:05 PM
u might b in luck with the falls[...]u can walk under the waterfall[...]niether cavepoint or wequiock falls have ever had many people while iv been there

Please don't use text speak. If you are posting from your phone and having difficulty typing complete words, use a computer with a 101-key keyboard instead.

The Administration
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GeekJedi

Be aware that this time of year, it's very slow going on WI 42 north of the 42/57 split.  The roads are very congested, and there's lots of pedestrian traffic in the towns along the way.

Peninsula State Park is very nice this time of year as well!

If you're coming up from Milwaukee, the WI 42 "Shortcut" (which really isn't one now that 57 is four lanes) through Manitowoc is a nice drive.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2012, 11:02:08 AM
Please don't use text speak. If you are posting from your phone and having difficulty typing complete words, use a computer with a 101-key keyboard instead.

The Administration

OT: I have long contended that text- and IM-speak will be the death of the English language. I'm starting to think that Twitter-speak will play a contributing role. As one whose education and profession involve the language, this is a particular pet peeve of mine. If I am texting I have to make a conscious effort to abbreviate or shorten words to work within character count constraints. It's difficult.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

I tend to agree, but the whole inventing abbreviation thing is not new. Look at the etymology of okay: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/503/what-does-ok-stand-for
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hobsini2

Well the weekend up in Door County was a nice get away. We did go to the falls that Jordanah suggested first since it was on the way. It was bone dry though. Here are a couple pics.

The falls (taken in sephia):
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/576082_464080466946632_255232153_n.jpg

Sunset at Sister Bay:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/599528_464081460279866_1741789528_n.jpg

In a bar in Bailey's Harbor:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/561044_464082003613145_2006983550_n.jpg

hobsini2

GeekJedi, you were absolutely right about the congestion on 42 esp in Fish Creek and Egg Harbor. BTW speaking of Egg Harbor, I have found a new favorite fish n chips. It is at Shipwrecked in EH on 42.

GeekJedi

The manager of Shipwrecked is a friend of mine.  Nothing better than a cold Summer Wheat!  Did you happen to see the old style WI 54/57 signs in Sturgeon Bay?  I think there are still some Downtown.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

hobsini2

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 11, 2012, 12:15:13 AM
The manager of Shipwrecked is a friend of mine.  Nothing better than a cold Summer Wheat!  Did you happen to see the old style WI 54/57 signs in Sturgeon Bay?  I think there are still some Downtown.
No we stayed on the 57/42 bypass. Other than that, we spent no time in Sturgeon Bay.  Tell your friend he has a new customer for life anytime I go that far north as long as that fish n chips stays the same. That was damn good fish.  My grandmothers loved there scallops/burger too. I tried the beer sampler. I liked the Summer Ale and the Cherry Wheat.

Special K

Quote from: hbelkins on July 05, 2012, 09:09:17 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2012, 11:02:08 AM

The Administration

OT: I have long contended that text- and IM-speak will be the death of the English language. I'm starting to think that Twitter-speak will play a contributing role. As one whose education and profession involve the language, this is a particular pet peeve of mine. If I am texting I have to make a conscious effort to abbreviate or shorten words to work within character count constraints. It's difficult.

I'm with you.  But, then I realize that the language we speak today is quite different from the language we spoke 100 years ago.  Languages constantly evolve and that's what we're seeing here.  It's how it is.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Special K on July 11, 2012, 03:25:48 PM

I'm with you.  But, then I realize that the language we speak today is quite different from the language we spoke 100 years ago.  Languages constantly evolve and that's what we're seeing here.  It's how it is.

this isn't an evolution - it's a parallel track of abbreviation.  abbreviation has always been around, and at no point has it superseded the main language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation

besides, I think enough people look on "ROFLZ! i lolC4T U !!!!!" as being sufficiently vapid that it will not ever gain any traction outside of Beavis and Butthead types.

(and if you think Beavis and Butthead are new, see a famous quote by Socrates...)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Special K

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 11, 2012, 03:52:21 PM
Quote from: Special K on July 11, 2012, 03:25:48 PM

this isn't an evolution - it's a parallel track of abbreviation.  abbreviation has always been around, and at no point has it superseded the main language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation

besides, I think enough people look on "ROFLZ! i lolC4T U !!!!!" as being sufficiently vapid that it will not ever gain any traction outside of Beavis and Butthead types.

(and if you think Beavis and Butthead are new, see a famous quote by Socrates...)

Post was double-plus good.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.