News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texas Viaduct at 3rd and 4th Streets in Texarkana

Started by bugo, July 09, 2012, 10:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Texarkana,+Bowie,+Texas&hl=en&ll=33.419443,-94.04991&spn=0.004254,0.009624&sll=31.923901,-106.569614&sspn=0.069206,0.15398&geocode=FeUG_gEdOPJk-g&hnear=Texarkana,+Bowie,+Texas&t=h&z=17

Is this a true interchange, or just an intersection with a flyover?  Part of the junction is channelized.

Was the Texas Viaduct ever a state highway?  Was it built by TxDOT or the city of Texarkana?

US71

I wouldn't call it a full interchange: more of an intersection with a flyover.

Bridgehunter seems to indicate it is city owned.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Why is this bridge even on bridgehunter.com?  It's not historic in any way.  It's just an overpass.  And it's not interesting on its own (the only reason it's interesting at all is because of the rest of the "interchange."

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 09, 2012, 11:58:45 PM
Why is this bridge even on bridgehunter.com?  It's not historic in any way.  It's just an overpass.  And it's not interesting on its own (the only reason it's interesting at all is because of the rest of the "interchange."

It's in the NBI on Bridgehunter, it just doesn't have its own listing. Appears to have been built around 1975.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

austrini

The Texas Viaduct was opened in the early 1930s by the city and they tore it down and rebuilt it in the early 70s. There is an Arkansas Viaduct too, on US 71, that is still original.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bwana39

Quote from: austrini on July 10, 2012, 10:39:52 AM
The Texas Viaduct was opened in the early 1930s by the city and they tore it down and rebuilt it in the early 70s. There is an Arkansas Viaduct too, on US 71, that is still original.

Sorry about bringing this relic to the top, but....

No the Texas viaduct was built in the late eighties or so.  The 3rd 4th street interchange (what is on Bridgehunter)  MAY have been built in the seventies, but I moved to bowie county in 1986 and the wood cobble viaduct was still there when we moved there. 

THE Texas viaduct is indeed a city owned roadway. It connects to South State Line Rd after it crosses the railroad tracks / yard. 

Since this string was active, the Arkansas viaduct (Hickory St US-71) has also been replaced.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.