News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Signs for Idiots

Started by Brandon, July 14, 2012, 06:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 17, 2012, 04:42:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 17, 2012, 04:37:33 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 17, 2012, 04:15:17 PM
Weird. Never heard of Newark, DE... I'd imagine most people seeing just "Newark" would assume it was referring to Newark, NJ as I did.

I don't know...the one in New Jersey is around 120 miles to the north, so I don't know how many people would assume that.

If you're not from the area, like I am, how would you know? I had assumed it was referring to some sort of circuitous routing involving a 3di and the New Jersey Turnpike somehow...

Beats me. I've lived on the East Coast since 1974 and have travelled that route for much of my life, so it's never confused me and I never fathomed the idea it could confuse someone, simply because I've always known that the city in New Jersey is so far away. My assumption is that anyone who was actually bound for Newark, New Jersey, would have looked at a map and would not have messed up badly enough to go that far out of the way. (....he says, despite having once missed a turn in Colorado that took him 125 miles out of the way via Granby and Winter Park when driving from Laramie to Denver.....)

I don't think it would be incumbent on Delaware to put a "DE" next to the word "Newark," though, simply because I don't know of any state that does that as to its own destinations with one exception–Virginia has a "Va" next to "Great Falls" on a BGS on the Beltway because the exit for Great Falls, MD, is about three miles away.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 17, 2012, 06:12:55 PM
I don't know of any state that does that as to its own destinations with one exception–Virginia has a "Va" next to "Great Falls" on a BGS on the Beltway because the exit for Great Falls, MD, is about three miles away.

There's also another one in Virginia. Distance signs to the town of Washington on US 211 always say "Washington VA". Even though US 211 doesn't go to DC anymore and it's many miles between the two places, it's still relevant due to the familiarity of the name.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

andrewkbrown

^^^ The same goes for Washington, PA signs on I-70 and I-79.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 17, 2012, 12:01:52 PM
Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 17, 2012, 11:46:29 AM
Quote from: vtk on July 17, 2012, 11:21:43 AM
At railroad crossings: "DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS"
Absolutely necessary in south Florida.  WAY TOO many people stop on the tracks.

why the fuck would anyone do that?

Because of this clusterfuck.

hbelkins

I don't think it would be incumbent on Delaware to put a "DE" next to the word "Newark," though, simply because I don't know of any state that does that as to its own destinations with one exception–Virginia has a "Va" next to "Great Falls" on a BGS on the Beltway because the exit for Great Falls, MD, is about three miles away.

As if anyone is going to confuse Nashville, Ill. with any other Nashville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on July 17, 2012, 09:00:38 PM

I don't get it.  someone stops on the tracks, goes fireball and takes out a few people... so now more people stop on the tracks, necessitating warning signs?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Weird. Never heard of Newark, DE... I'd imagine most people seeing just "Newark" would assume it was referring to Newark, NJ as I did.
You need to find a real geography department. More people think of Newark, Ohio than any other Newark in the world. Just ask any OSU or OU grad. :-P
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on July 17, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
I don't know of any state that does that as to its own destinations with one exception–Virginia has a "Va" next to "Great Falls" on a BGS on the Beltway because the exit for Great Falls, MD, is about three miles away.

There's also another one in Virginia. Distance signs to the town of Washington on US 211 always say "Washington VA". Even though US 211 doesn't go to DC anymore and it's many miles between the two places, it's still relevant due to the familiarity of the name.

D'oh, good point, totally forgot about that one even though I've seen those signs many times. I assume I forgot because, like many people, I think of the town as "Little Washington" because of the Inn of same name.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

txstateends

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 17, 2012, 04:42:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 17, 2012, 04:37:33 PM

I don't know...the one in New Jersey is around 120 miles to the north, so I don't know how many people would assume that.

If you're not from the area, like I am, how would you know? I had assumed it was referring to some sort of circuitous routing involving a 3di and the New Jersey Turnpike somehow...

I remember, in my original days of good credit, some of the banks/credit card issuers had HQs or major credit card processing offices in Newark, DE... apparently DE is (or has been) very favorable for credit card companies to operate there and to have interest terms that they (the CC companies, not accountholders) also have found favorable.

Many companies incorporate and/or file bankruptcy in DE because of other favorable terms (no matter where the companies are actually physically based).
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

agentsteel53

according to SAS Scandinavian Airlines, Newark NJ is the most important city in the region.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

"Focus City": Kind of like a control city for airlines using the hub-and-spoke system. Although Thule's airstrip is likely for emergency uses only. Søndre Strømfjord, on the other hand, is Air Greenland's hub.

You have to fly Virgin America to get the Google Maps experience while you fly (although terrain and aerial photos are your only choices, the latter is for people who can't see out the window).

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on July 17, 2012, 09:00:38 PM

That's the accident that necessitated the signage.  Unfortunately, these train/automotive collisions continue to occur in south Florida.

PurdueBill

New Hampshire has to be the winner for signage in-state with the state identified--those new arrow-per-lane signs on I-95 NB approaching Exits 4 and 5 that mention "Portsmouth NH" are IN Portsmouth!! 

Ian

I'll add to this thread by mentioning PennDOT's "LOOK LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT BEFORE PULLING OUT" seen at several intersections in the state.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

signalman

I just thought of a sign that I know I've seen on interstates in congested areas before:
WATCH FOR STOPPED TRAFFIC
No shit, thanks!  That's good advice regardless of what road one is driving on.

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 20, 2012, 04:26:28 PM
I'll add to this thread by mentioning PennDOT's signs
FTFY

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on July 17, 2012, 09:10:27 PM

As if anyone is going to confuse Nashville, Ill. with any other Nashville.

Could be confusing to some people that are en route to Nashville, TN from St. Louis via I-64, I-57, and I-24.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 22, 2012, 05:07:01 PM
Could be confusing to some people that are en route to Nashville, TN from St. Louis via I-64, I-57, and I-24.

Yeah, but it's also on I-64 westbound!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

That photo was taken westbound.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2012, 11:30:39 PM
That photo was taken westbound.

LOL!  I just took one of the same sign yesterday.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Compulov

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2012, 08:21:59 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 20, 2012, 04:26:28 PM
I'll add to this thread by mentioning PennDOT's signs
FTFY

Yeah... wonder if there's any studies to see if these "helpful driving tips" signs have any effect at all. Or does PennDOT's sign shop just have a lot of free time?

Oh, and does PennDOT still have any of those "keep two dots following distance" setups left anywhere? I remember them from several years ago, but I can't recall seeing any recently.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Compulov on July 24, 2012, 07:54:09 AMOh, and does PennDOT still have any of those "keep two dots following distance" setups left anywhere? I remember them from several years ago, but I can't recall seeing any recently.
Yes, they still do.  PA 41 through Lancaster County still has them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Special K

Quote from: signalman on July 20, 2012, 04:58:05 PM
I just thought of a sign that I know I've seen on interstates in congested areas before:
WATCH FOR STOPPED TRAFFIC
No shit, thanks!  That's good advice regardless of what road one is driving on.

You don't normally see stopped traffic on an interstate.  This sign is merely alerting you to the good possibility that it will happen here.  Seems reasonable to me.

Alex

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 24, 2012, 01:17:06 PM
Quote from: Compulov on July 24, 2012, 07:54:09 AMOh, and does PennDOT still have any of those "keep two dots following distance" setups left anywhere? I remember them from several years ago, but I can't recall seeing any recently.
Yes, they still do.  PA 41 through Lancaster County still has them.

And along U.S. 322 east of State College.

signalman

Quote from: Compulov on July 24, 2012, 07:54:09 AM
Oh, and does PennDOT still have any of those "keep two dots following distance" setups left anywhere? I remember them from several years ago, but I can't recall seeing any recently.

Yes.  I 80 WB before the East Stroudsburg exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.