News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A Frank Discussion About Texas Toll 49

Started by blawp, July 18, 2012, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

1. Why is this road limited access? The sprawl of Tyler will likely never reach Texas Toll 49. A two lane FM road would have made more sense.

2. Why is this road tolled? Does it make a profit? If so, why is the construction pace so languid?

3. Why, with all of the over design everywhere else on this road, are its major intersections so crude, like the one planned for I(H)-20? Not even a Parclo or a SPUI? A volleyball is the best TxDOT could come up with?

Alps

4. Why are you always putting down other states?

agentsteel53

the main problem with Tyler is that Loop 323 (shouldn't that be Beltway 323) is not limited-access.  it has turned into the sprawl which the bypass had sought to avoid.

sometimes it takes less time to go through town than around it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mcdonaat

1) The idea is to build a loop around Tyler. Development will reach the loop, don't worry. The same thing was said about other loops in Texas and the Mid-South.

2) Because the funds weren't available from the state. The local government built the toll road to generate money, because they saw the need when the state didn't.

3) TxDOT, once again, has planned for Loop 49 to become a controlled-access freeway, with ample ROW for extra lanes if needed. The interchanges are normal for a super-two, and the volleyball is a new way to move traffic on a controlled-access system.

5) Why do people from California have to add the (H) to an Interstate route, or say it's "the 20" or "the 10?" We just call it "20", or if needed, I-20. No "the" is needed in the name, IMO, and it's the one way to tell a Californian from anyone else. In fact... I take two U.S. routes to work. California has, what... five US routes in the entire state? We have fourteen.

TheStranger

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 18, 2012, 09:51:34 PM

5) Why do people from California have to add the (H) to an Interstate route, or say it's "the 20" or "the 10?" We just call it "20", or if needed, I-20. No "the" is needed in the name, IMO, and it's the one way to tell a Californian from anyone else. In fact... I take two U.S. routes to work. California has, what... five US routes in the entire state? We have fourteen.

Texas adds the "H", not California.

Northern California uses the number-with-no-"the" approach, "the" being a SoCal prefix for the most part.  (Okay, all that's stuff for threads that have been posted before!)
Chris Sampang

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2012, 09:47:24 PM
the main problem with Tyler is that Loop 323 (shouldn't that be Beltway 323) is not limited-access.  it has turned into the sprawl which the bypass had sought to avoid.

sometimes it takes less time to go through town than around it.

Loop 323 traffic was horrible 25 years ago.  I can only imagine how bad it is now.

wtd67

Loop 323 started as a two lane road and look what we have now, 6 lanes of traffic choked, slow moving mess stopping at each red light.  I think a limited access road is very justified to not repeat that mistake.

TXDOT did not have the money to build the road and it wouldn't be built for many years.  It is being tolled and built as a super 2 so it can be built now.  If they didn't start the Loop, houses and businesses were about to be built in its path.  Tyler is already built up to the southern edge of the Loop.  If it wasn't built now, it would be cost prohibitive to buy up homes and businesses later.

I doubt the Loop is making money now, but it should when it reaches I-20 and that will be later next year.  I will be using it at least twice a week to avoid Tyler for trips to Dallas.  I estimate it will save me about 10 - 15 minutes each way. 

bugo

The current section of TX Loop 49 reminds me of the current section of AR 530.  Both will eventually be segments of major highways, but as of now both are worthless highways that connect nothing with nothing.  Makes me wonder why they decided to build these portions first instead of a portion that is more usable and gets more traffic.

wtd67

I have often wondered that also.  The only thing I can think is Tyler is already built out to those segments and they had to protect the right of way from development.

blawp

What about the right of way in the more critical and useful location near IH-20? Surely that must be protected from development as well so that Texas Toll 49 may spur prosperity.

austrini

It takes ages to get through Tyler, i'll use Toll 49 when it connects to IH 20. It's one of those cities with a huge catchment area for retail and entertainment and all that - so the population isnt necessarily indicate of its regional importance.

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

BigMattFromTexas

Back off guys, this guy knows everything.. Growth patterns and even the future..
It's almost like asking why Loop 306 in San Angelo was built to the east and south. They never thought the southern part of town would grow that much.. Voilà.. it grew past it. I guess we'll see in 20 years. How the area looks.
BigMatt

Road Hog

Quote from: bugo on July 19, 2012, 01:27:25 AM
The current section of TX Loop 49 reminds me of the current section of AR 530.  Both will eventually be segments of major highways, but as of now both are worthless highways that connect nothing with nothing.  Makes me wonder why they decided to build these portions first instead of a portion that is more usable and gets more traffic.

My guess is the right-of-way was cheapest to purchase on the segment built in both instances.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.