AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-83 JFX BGS Upgrades  (Read 7690 times)

talllguy

• Tall. DOT Contractor. Likes Photography.

• Last Login: July 22, 2015, 02:09:14 PM
    • About Me
I-83 JFX BGS Upgrades
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »

I was driving southbound last night and noticed that DOT was installing a sign around Maryland Ave. Perhaps they're finally upgrading those button copy signs through that section.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 09:12:57 AM
Re: I-83 JFX BGS Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »

I was driving southbound last night and noticed that DOT was installing a sign around Maryland Ave. Perhaps they're finally upgrading those button copy signs through that section.

I have seldom driven I-83 in Baltimore City, since I have always lived well south of there in eastern Montgomery County or southern Anne Arundel County - but I think a lot of the BGS panels were replaced back in the late 1980's, when a significant reconstruction of the Baltimore City part of the JFX took place.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 09:06:19 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »

I'll take a gamble and say that the same re-signing project that took place on I-95 is now taking place on the JFX! (new signs in Clearview font, and new gantries as well)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 07:46:20 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »

I was driving southbound last night and noticed that DOT was installing a sign around Maryland Ave. Perhaps they're finally destroying those beautiful, historic button copy signs through that section.
FTFY

talllguy

• About Me
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:20:27 PM »

I'll take a gamble and say that the same re-signing project that took place on I-95 is now taking place on the JFX! (new signs in Clearview font, and new gantries as well)

Maybe, but the JFX in the city is maintained by the City DOT, not SHA or MdTA, hence the extreme lack of maintenance. The entire elevated portion needs redecking and I've heard the city is trying to get the SHA to take over maintenance for that reason. Otherwise, that is why you still see those beautiful button copy signs, old style shields, and other non-standard quirks.

Doctor Whom

• Location: the land of America's most worldly but least fun people
  • Last Login: November 16, 2018, 06:01:53 PM
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »

Maybe, but the JFX in the city is maintained by the City DOT, not SHA or MdTA, hence the extreme lack of maintenance. The entire elevated portion needs redecking and I've heard the city is trying to get the SHA to take over maintenance for that reason. Otherwise, that is why you still see those beautiful button copy signs, old style shields, and other non-standard quirks.
But the fact that the city maintains so many of its own roads is the justification for giving the city such a ridiculously large percentage of state highway aid.  Where is that money going?

cpzilliacus

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »

Perhaps it is time for the state Office of Legislative Audits to find out what Baltimore City does with the money that is so generously given to them by MDOT to maintain all city streets and highways (except those that are maintained by the MdTA (I-95, I-395, I-695 and I-895), which are in much better condition than almost anything maintained by Baltimore City)?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »

But the fact that the city maintains so many of its own roads is the justification for giving the city such a ridiculously large percentage of state highway aid.  Where is that money going?

For those scoring at home, by statute, Maryland gives 50% of its aid to local governments for highways, streets and roads to Baltimore off the top before the 23 counties get a dime. 

Henry

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »

I was told that the elevated section that leads to the southern end may be torn down and converted to an urban boulevard (presumably an extension of President Street), thus truncating the JFX further north. I presume that may be the section you were referring to. Like the rest of the highway, the old signs and Chicagoesque brown gantries are still there, none of which exist on I-95 anymore.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sbeaver44

• Accountant/Roadgeek

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 10:35:08 AM
    • Flickr - WestPA31
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »

and other non-standard quirks.

I was told that the elevated section that leads to the southern end may be torn down and converted to an urban boulevard (presumably an extension of President Street), thus truncating the JFX further north. I presume that may be the section you were referring to. Like the rest of the highway, the old signs and Chicagoesque brown gantries are still there, none of which exist on I-95 anymore.

If they tear down the last few miles of I-83 and extend President Street, I will miss both the fun set of curves NB before Penn Station through the 40 zone, and the "CT-2" shield off the St. Paul St exit coming South (it's the sign on the ramp itself).

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: Today at 06:55:27 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »

and other non-standard quirks.

If they tear down the last few miles of I-83 and extend President Street, I will miss both the fun set of curves NB before Penn Station through the 40 zone, and the "CT-2" shield off the St. Paul St exit coming South (it's the sign on the ramp itself).

Glad to know its still there.

talllguy

• About Me
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »

I also like how in there there is a exit destination ahead advisory sign that uses 1/3.

VCB02FromRoblox

• Last Login: August 17, 2016, 07:16:21 PM
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »

Those sign gantries and BGSes need to be replaced ASAP. This is what I'm talking about:

And these interchange ramps look kinda tightly squeezed together, am I right?

And the Exit 3 tab looks odd.

Henry

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »

Those sign gantries and BGSes need to be replaced ASAP. This is what I'm talking about:

And these interchange ramps look kinda tightly squeezed together, am I right?

And the Exit 3 tab looks odd.
Just as I said, they look like something you'd find in Chicago.

talllguy

• About Me
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »

Speaking of replacing things, this one on the 29th St onramp was hit by an overheight vehicle in 2003 and still has not been fixed. I remember seeing it when I used to work there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.318636,-76.629413,3a,75y,215.24h,95.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWtDTkQ_QDl30pa6A7H326Q!2e0

Laura

• Mrs. MD Roads

• Last Login: June 09, 2020, 11:15:28 PM
    • MD Roads
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »

Oh dear please don't let them be replaced :(
Disclaimer: All comments here represent my own personal opinion(s) as citizen Laura.

MD Roads
County Clinches

VCB02FromRoblox

• Last Login: August 17, 2016, 07:16:21 PM
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »

Only few BGS could benefit replacement. The Exits 7-a-b tab is faded badly. Also the Exit 3 tab seems odd.
Here's more weird exit tabs:

But the least they could do is place the signs on newer gantries. Like they did I-95.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:15:30 PM by VCB02FromRoblox »

talllguy

• About Me
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »

The odd thing about this one is that Exit 1 doesn't really exist in the typical sense. The arrow should point to the right and left lanes, not the middle, as the through traffic does not exit onto Fayette St.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.