News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why does Maryland sign non-Interstate freeways at 55 MPH max?

Started by mcmc, July 29, 2012, 04:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcmc

What's the deal here? With one exception that I know of (US 13/Salisbury Bypass), Maryland does not sign any non-Interstate routes above 55 MPH. Years ago, there was talk of a trial involving signing MD 32 in Howard County at 65 MPH, but I don't think anything ever came of that. The ICC at 55 is an even bigger joke.

The 55 MPH maximum on non-Interstates is completely arbitrary and can't be based on sound planning or engineering. What's at play here?

vdeane

Some states never left NMSL.  NY is much the same way, but at least we have some exceptions on rural freeways depending on region.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

Quote from: mcmc on July 29, 2012, 04:09:29 AM
The 55 MPH maximum on non-Interstates is completely arbitrary and can't be based on sound planning or engineering. What's at play here?

Politics most likely.  Sounds similar to Iowa where only freeways signed as interstates can be posted at 70, while a nearly identical US rout freeway has to remain 65.

cpzilliacus

§ 21-801.1 of the Transportation Article of Maryland reads (in part):

(e) Limits may not exceed 55 or 65 miles an hour. --

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subtitle, a maximum speed limit of more than 55 miles an hour may not be established or continued on any highway in this State that:

(i) Is not an interstate highway or an expressway;

U.S. 50 in Prince George's and Anne Arundel Counties is 65 because it is "secret" I-595.   
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mcmc

The "or an expressway" language seems to leave the door open to non-Interstates. US 13 Near Sailsbury is posted at 65, so what gives? Is anyone privy to the SHA's thinking?

Beltway

Quote from: mcmc on July 29, 2012, 03:22:23 PM
The "or an expressway" language seems to leave the door open to non-Interstates. US 13 Near Sailsbury is posted at 65, so what gives? Is anyone privy to the SHA's thinking?

The US-340 freeway south of Frederick is 65 mph.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 29, 2012, 01:59:09 PM
§ 21-801.1 of the Transportation Article of Maryland reads (in part):

(e) Limits may not exceed 55 or 65 miles an hour. --

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subtitle, a maximum speed limit of more than 55 miles an hour may not be established or continued on any highway in this State that:

(i) Is not an interstate highway or an expressway;

U.S. 50 in Prince George's and Anne Arundel Counties is 65 because it is "secret" I-595.   

It was funded and designed as an Interstate highway, when that segment of the US-50 freeway was rebuilt.  So it really is an Interstate highway, just not signed as such on the highway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mr_Northside

The "or an expressway" language seems to leave the door open to non-Interstates. US 13 Near Salisbury is posted at 65, so what gives? Is anyone privy to the SHA's thinking?

It might have something to do with the population of the area that a highway traverses?  Both MD-100 & MD-32, for example, cut right thru the DC/Baltimore area, and each have quite a few exits with pretty great frequency, creating a lot of traffic doing various things.

Not saying that is the reason... but it's the best guess I can come up with at the moment.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

1995hoo

Maryland was one of the later states in allowing any 65-mph speed limits at all during the period after the NMSL was modified to allow 65 on rural Interstates. Former Governor William Donald Schaefer was absolutely dead-set against allowing 65 anywhere, and I recall quite clearly that during his administration Maryland signage evidenced almost a smugness about it–when you crossed into Maryland on I-495 from Virginia over the American Legion Bridge, for example, the "SPEED LIMIT 55" signs were topped with yellow banners that said "STILL!" Schaefer left office in 1995 due to being term-limited and his successor, Parris Glendening, was fairly quick to allow 65-mph limits where the NMSL permitted (as the repeal of that law was not effective until December 8, 1995).

I don't remember when Maryland started posting 65-mph limits on other segments like "I-95 Between the Beltways" or US-50/secret I-595, much less the US-340 segment mentioned above.

It does continue to amuse me that Maryland does the same thing as some other states in that they can be overly picky about "urban" versus "rural" considerations. I-270 has a 65-mph limit on the portion where it's two lanes per side (Clarksburg north to the Frederick area) but a 55-mph limit south of there where the road is wider and generally has better sight lines.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

Arkansas' maximum speed on 2 lane highways is 55.  This includes some perfectly straight and flat highways.  There's no reason some of these roads shouldn't be signed at 65 MPH.  Or they could take a cue from Texas and sign them at 70.  Even if they did, some of the locals would still drive 55, as they do in Oklahoma where the speed limit on most 2 lane roads is 65.

Alps

Quote from: Mr_Northside on July 30, 2012, 03:04:53 PM
The "or an expressway" language seems to leave the door open to non-Interstates. US 13 Near Salisbury is posted at 65, so what gives? Is anyone privy to the SHA's thinking?

It might have something to do with the population of the area that a highway traverses?  Both MD-100 & MD-32, for example, cut right thru the DC/Baltimore area, and each have quite a few exits with pretty great frequency, creating a lot of traffic doing various things.

Not saying that is the reason... but it's the best guess I can come up with at the moment.

I think you have some very good ideas here. MD 32 and 100 are commuter-oriented (or at least inter-suburban), while US 13 and 340 are well away from the I-95 corridor and with less frequent exits. I would imagine if US 15 were upgraded to full freeway, it could be signed at 65 as well.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2012, 03:36:45 PM
It does continue to amuse me that Maryland does the same thing as some other states in that they can be overly picky about "urban" versus "rural" considerations. I-270 has a 65-mph limit on the portion where it's two lanes per side (Clarksburg north to the Frederick area) but a 55-mph limit south of there where the road is wider and generally has better sight lines.

When traffic conditions allow, that posted 55 MPH on I-270 south of Md. 121 is universally ignored.  I would estimate that the 85th percentile speed is above 70 MPH.

Reason it remains at 55 MPH?  I think it remains because the "anti-auto vanguard" has a fair amount of influence over the Montgomery County Council (I know, I-270 is not a county road), and at least a few of its members would raise the air quality boogeyman if the state were to raise the posted limit to 65 MPH.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mcmc

Quote from: Steve on July 30, 2012, 09:21:00 PMI think you have some very good ideas here. MD 32 and 100 are commuter-oriented (or at least inter-suburban), while US 13 and 340 are well away from the I-95 corridor and with less frequent exits. I would imagine if US 15 were upgraded to full freeway, it could be signed at 65 as well.

This is true and even logical, but with the exception of a few miles of US 13 and US 340 (am I missing any others?), why are there no non-Interstates posted above 55 in the entire state?

Alps

Quote from: mcmc on July 31, 2012, 07:14:41 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 30, 2012, 09:21:00 PMI think you have some very good ideas here. MD 32 and 100 are commuter-oriented (or at least inter-suburban), while US 13 and 340 are well away from the I-95 corridor and with less frequent exits. I would imagine if US 15 were upgraded to full freeway, it could be signed at 65 as well.

This is true and even logical, but with the exception of a few miles of US 13 and US 340 (am I missing any others?), why are there no non-Interstates posted above 55 in the entire state?
How many relatively rural non-Interstate freeways does Maryland have?

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on July 31, 2012, 08:25:03 PM

How many relatively rural non-Interstate freeways does Maryland have?

Not necessarily 'rural', but at or very close to 70 mph Interstate standard design --

US-50/US-301 between MD-70 and Bay Bridge
US-50/US-301 between Bay Bridge and US-301 split
MD-32 Patuxent Freeway
MD-10
MD-100
Freeway segments of US-29 and MD-4

Maryland's 4-lane rural highways, non-limited access as well as limited access with at-grade intersections, generally should be candidates for 60 or 65 mph, yet all of them are capped at 55 mph as well.

Very few of their generally excellent rural 2-lane highways are even 55 mph like most eastern states, the vast majority are 50 mph.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Vermont, NH, and Maine do the same thing: 50 on most roads that would be at least 55 anywhere else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr_Northside

Just my opinion.....
Quote from: Beltway on July 31, 2012, 09:41:20 PM
Not necessarily 'rural', but at or very close to 70 mph Interstate standard design --

I don't know... there are very frequent exits (many of which are glorified RIRO's), the Kent Narrows bridge has a pretty narrow median/left shoulders, and at times a LOT of traffic.  Also, there is an at-grade intersection in the Westbound direction right before the exit for MD-2 North. (Not to say I'd personally gripe about an increase to 65-70mph for this....)

QuoteMD-32 Patuxent Freeway
MD-10
MD-100

Can't vouch for MD-10... MD-100 might be able to meet that criteria, with the exception of a lot of traffic.  There are stretches of MD-32 that have some pretty big curves east of Ft. Meade, and some heavy exits (with some left exits & entrances) between (and including) Ft. Meade & I-95.

QuoteFreeway segments of US-29 and MD-4

Can't vouch for MD-4.  Though even the freeway segments of US-29 have some at-grade access and left turns and such....

QuoteMaryland's 4-lane rural highways, non-limited access as well as limited access with at-grade intersections, generally should be candidates for 60 or 65 mph, yet all of them are capped at 55 mph as well.

PA is pretty much the same.  Unless it's a freeway (that meets the right criteria) signed as 65, it's not gonna be higher than 55. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cpzilliacus

Beltway

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 01, 2012, 01:10:15 PM
Just my opinion.....

I don't know... there are very frequent exits (many of which are glorified RIRO's), the Kent Narrows bridge has a pretty narrow median/left shoulders, and at times a LOT of traffic.  Also, there is an at-grade intersection in the Westbound direction right before the exit for MD-2 North. (Not to say I'd personally gripe about an increase to 65-70mph for this....)

There are no at-grade intersections on US-50 between D.C. and Queenstown.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on August 01, 2012, 05:45:50 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 01, 2012, 01:10:15 PM
Just my opinion.....

He's correct about the exits on Kent Island, though. Some of those are not at all suitable for high-speed traffic. The Merritt Parkway interchanges with the stop signs are better than some of the Kent Island exits.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2012, 05:55:28 PM

He's correct about the exits on Kent Island, though. Some of those are not at all suitable for high-speed traffic. The Merritt Parkway interchanges with the stop signs are better than some of the Kent Island exits.

Actually given the -extremely- long accell and decel lanes on US-50, there is no reason why it couldn't be 65 mph on the mainline.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on August 01, 2012, 05:58:10 PM
There's a very fine (non-existent?) line between a RIRO and an at-grade.

indeed - to me, one of the definitions of "at-grade" is the ability to turn across traffic (left in the US), but this would make a lot of Jersey expressways full freeways...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Beltway

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on August 01, 2012, 05:59:48 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2012, 05:55:28 PM

Actually given the -extremely- long accell and decel lanes on US-50, there is no reason why it couldn't be 65 mph on the mainline.

I didn't say it couldn't be. I said they're unsuitable for high-speed traffic.

But knowing the Maryland government and having seen its nanny-state tendencies for many years, it doesn't surprise me at all that they refuse to post it there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.