News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Frankensignals"

Started by thenetwork, August 02, 2012, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNYroadgeek

Alex4897

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on October 25, 2013, 11:36:09 PM
http://goo.gl/maps/9a5Vm

Two arrows, one signal!

Those are pretty normal around Delaware, most split phasing intersections have them.
👉😎👉

Signal

Quote from: NYhwyfan on October 23, 2012, 03:05:05 PM
*Crosswalk signal along Payne Avenue in North Tonawanda, NY - has pedestrian signals attatched on span wire with the signals for Payne Ave.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.040073,-78.873623&spn=0.001988,0.004823&t=m&layer=c&cbll=43.039988,-78.873593&panoid=YkplHiP6jpeDfb1eTHRk5w&cbp=12,356.63,,0,3.9&z=18

That's a very interesting setup, and those pedestrian signals are the very rare Crouse-Hinds type M with 12"x9" lenses.
It is even run on a mechanical controller!

Any chance you have pictures of it?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 26, 2013, 09:46:19 AM

Two arrows, one signal!

Those are pretty normal around Delaware, most split phasing intersections have them.

DE goes a little crazy in my opinion with the arrows.  Since they tend to do the one single per lane thing, if the lane is meant to go in one direction (straight, left, right) there will be an arrow for it!  Technically, it's correct, but a green ball isn't going to hurt anything.  Lanes that traffic can go two or more directions in - usually either straight and right, or straight, left & right, will have the standard green lens.

Big John

^^ MUTCD now does not want a solid green right arrow if pedestrians can cross the road on the right side of the street at that time.  Green ball is preferable there.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

Two arrows, one signal!

DE goes a little crazy in my opinion with the arrows.  Since they tend to do the one single per lane thing, if the lane is meant to go in one direction (straight, left, right) there will be an arrow for it!  Technically, it's correct, but a green ball isn't going to hurt anything.  Lanes that traffic can go two or more directions in - usually either straight and right, or straight, left & right, will have the standard green lens.

Having arrows helps clarify what lane you're in I guess, no harm in that.  We usually don't signal right turn lanes and straight lanes are usually just lenses though so that helps clear some clutter.  However, lanes that go in two different directions tend to have upside down T's with the greens displaying the two directions.
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 26, 2013, 08:20:45 PM

Two arrows, one signal!

Having arrows helps clarify what lane you're in I guess, no harm in that.  We usually don't signal right turn lanes and straight lanes are usually just lenses though so that helps clear some clutter.  However, lanes that go in two different directions tend to have upside down T's with the greens displaying the two directions.

Delaware tends to overkill everything. Examples, three signals for a single lefthand turn lane from US 40 to DE 1, four signals and six green arrows for New London Road south at Cleveland Avenue in Newark.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on October 27, 2013, 10:49:58 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on October 26, 2013, 08:20:45 PM

Two arrows, one signal!

Delaware tends to overkill everything. Examples, three signals for a single lefthand turn lane from US 40 to DE 1, four signals and six green arrows for New London Road south at Cleveland Avenue in Newark.

The signals on US 40 at DE 1 were all replaced with mast arms earlier this year, eliminating the extra third left turn arrow.
👉😎👉

mrsman

Quote from: hm insulators on October 21, 2013, 01:36:57 PM
Quote from: bulkyorled on August 03, 2012, 07:52:39 AM

Not sure if this counts... I see them a lot in the San Gabriel Valley but this was in La Cañada. :( They look dumb

Isn't that Foothill Boulevard and Crown Avenue, right where the offramp from the westbound 210 ends in the same spot? I grew up in La Canada, so the Flintridge Preparatory School sign caught my eye.

I believe that the reason for the extra long visor is to restrict the peripheral visibility of the left turn arrow.  The left turn arrow is more visible from the left turn lane, than from the thru lanes.  In other intersections with a similar set-up the 8 inch red and yellow are louvered (vertical plates within the visor that further restrict the peripheral visibility).

Nowadays, new arrow arrangements have 12-12-12 red arrow, yellow arrow, green arrow.  But the old style had 8-8-12 red , yellow, green arrow accompanied by a sign saying "Left turn on arrow only."  No need to say "green arrow only", since the red and the yellow were not arrows.

On another aside, it is interesting that this is referred to as "duckface".  When I was very young, I used to imagine that the traffic lights showed expression, like a face.  Green lights were angry, whereas red lights were worried and apprehensive.  I don't think I associated yellow lights with anything.

Big John

Quote from: mrsman on November 03, 2013, 07:27:20 AM

On another aside, it is interesting that this is referred to as "duckface".  When I was very young, I used to imagine that the traffic lights showed expression, like a face.  Green lights were angry, whereas red lights were worried and apprehensive.  I don't think I associated yellow lights with anything.

I had the impression that a 8-8-12 signal face was yelling at me since it had a big mouth.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.